Howa Mini

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Re: Howa Mini

Post by johno1 »

Tony, Just to satisfy some curriosity, if you have any 221 fireball ammo can you check if it feeds through the mag ok, does it look an easy fix to slide a block in the rear of the magazine like a CZ mag to enable it to feed.

I reckon its a great new offering and hope it works well

Johno
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Tony Z wrote:No load testing Scott just a run in and sighting in. The Vmax did put a group in around 3/4 inch at a 100 yards. Will do more Monday or next weekend.
Very slick little rifle to use.
Cheers Tony - I look forward to seeing how it shoots once you find a load it likes.
Texas1
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by Texas1 »

Was that with a Cnc or bye just mill Greg T very nice anyway can't wait till end result to see the goods
GregT
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by GregT »

Texas1 wrote:Was that with a Cnc or bye just mill Greg T very nice anyway can't wait till end result to see the goods
It was with my little CNC. I got a bit more done today, the mag is hanging out further than it should, I'm still thinking about the best option for the mag release:

I also threw the barreled action on the scales. The varmint one isn't a real lightweight:

The stock didn't come out too heavy, there's still some material to come out of the sides. This is with the AR butt and a cheapy pistol grip:

So about 3.5kg/7.7lb without a scope. The AR butt gives a good chin weld :lol: I'm knocking up a fixed one from 32mm tube with a little cheekrest next week along with the tube front to see how it goes.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

GregT, top work again. Is it possible to cut, shorten, glue the mag as Adamjp did on another type of plastic mag? Would change the look of the standard rifle dramatically.

Bruce
GregT

Post by GregT »

I'd say yes depending on the type of plastic they use. The AICS ones are superglued together from the factory so there was no doubt.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Now I'm getting really tempted.

Without committing to any hard costs, what would you estimate a total stock package like that to be worth? Say 'drop-in', if there is such a thing for a piece of work like this.
GregT

Post by GregT »

The nice thing about a chassis setup is that it is just drop in, a couple of screws and away you go. The idea with this setup is that it's modular so you can get a centre section then add whatever grip, front and rear you like. Now that I have a working prototype I'll do some sums and work it out over the next week or so. I'm at work for the next couple of days so will be back to it on Wednesday.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I meant to post this the other day.
I tried 222, 223, 17 Rem, 221 FB and my own versions of 17/222 and 30/222 through the magazine and they all fed flawlessly. The magazine is either a Legacy or a Howa copy of it but they have reduced the spring tension dramatically contrary to popular thought. This prevents rounds "popping" leading to jams where the stripping of rounds is very easy and very quiet. Those familiar with the Legacy will know that when the mag is full, the tension makes the mag swell in the middle and become difficult to remove or insert at times. This is no doubt the cure.
Some have mentioned shortening the magazines but i am led to believe there already exists a factory 5 shot version.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

The magazine system is by Adaptive Technologies, Inc. (aka ATI). They have done the Howa systems for a while now. Quite who ATI is has become a bit of a mystery.

The follower rides on a spiral wound spring style that became popular with the AR15.

It seems that 5 round magazines are available in the 223/204 size, but does anybody have one?
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Con wrote:Tony Z,
Where from? Didn't realise the 223Rem was a 1:8"!! 2 more months to wait for the 204Ruger. :(
Cheers...
Con
LSI catalogue and website lists them as a 1:9 twist on the 223.

http://www.legacysports.com/1500-mini-barreled-actions and click on SPECS.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

The Raven wrote:Now I'm getting really tempted.

Without committing to any hard costs, what would you estimate a total stock package like that to be worth? Say 'drop-in', if there is such a thing for a piece of work like this.
what a bloody dangerous question to ask.

I must not read this thread again, I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again,I must not read this thread again, :?
GregT

Post by GregT »

Here's the tube front, I still think I prefer the conventional style but each to their own:

bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Lookin pretty snazzy there Greg, well done mate :wink:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

GregT wrote:The nice thing about a chassis setup is that it is just drop in, a couple of screws and away you go. The idea with this setup is that it's modular so you can get a centre section then add whatever grip, front and rear you like. Now that I have a working prototype I'll do some sums and work it out over the next week or so. I'm at work for the next couple of days so will be back to it on Wednesday.
Now that is rather nice. 8)

You sir, have done well!