I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Re: I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by johno1 »

I'm sure it would have to cause chambers problems in the end.

Johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Wish they loaded them up like old Arthur Langford did. :roll:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

andrewk wrote:My hummer used to split about 10% of the necks but like Keith said, it doesn't cause any issue and you don't reload them.

But if they made the brass stronger to up the velocity a wee bit then they might be onto something. However food for thought, compare the 17mk2 to the hummer and ponder how it is about 1/2 the case capacity and achieves 4/5's of the Hummers velocity.
Thats what I don't understand,everyone says the HMR is more capable than what it produces but yet no one loads past the 2550fps even with lighter projectiles. If you have a stronger case and said that you must only use modern rifles then surely they can get the velocity up closer to 3000fps with the 17gr.

Johno, perception is everything I guess and marketers will take advantage of that. It is a definite issue but it hasnt and won't affect the 17hmr's popularity.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

I don't know why i'm even looking at this 17 WSM thread, I blame Keith,

Here is another little thought if one was really keen on getting one. What about a build on a BRNO ZKW 465 :o
Everyone who reloads for the old brno knows the more modern bullets are to long for the magazine. You could build the bolt face up and machine out to work with the case, same with the firing pin. Not sure what the COL of the 17 WSM is, but an older style bullet in the hornet runs at 1.715", You could put a spacer in the back of the mag and something similar in the internal sides.

There you go, its now up to Keith or Camel to follow through :wink:

Johno
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

bugger that too much work if you ask me haha. I'll just stick with a HMR for a while and look at the WSM when it arrives.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Bugger, can't help some people :lol: :lol:

Well get the old camel mate, you know what these old blokes are like :wink:

Johno
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I had a H&R handi rifle in 17hmr and it split cases like no tomorrow. Now two marlins that havent done it yet with any ammo.

Keith- the vmax do a decent job on foxes. The 20gr xtp's pencil through flesh. My latest rifle likes the 17gr TNT so will see how that goes.
fenring

Post by fenring »

As I understand it in development the Hmr could do 3000fps safely in the Ruger 77 action but had to be held back to suit all existing .22M actions to maximise gunmaker involvement, requiring just a different barrel.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

johno1 wrote:Bugger, can't help some people :lol: :lol:

Well get the old camel mate, you know what these old blokes are like :wink:

Johno

Listen here you old reprobate, you blokes have spent enough of my hard earned over the last couple of years since I joined this forum. Fair go, Im gunna have to start thinking you work for the tax office and are trying to make me pay more, therefore you will garner more gst from me. JEEEEZE :lol: :lol: :roll:
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Just think old mate, if you happened to have a 465 action doing nothing. Old Uncle johno would mentor you through a 17 WSM build :wink: Your getting all emotional again arnt you :shock: Still can't work out why i'm so good to you, maybe I should run this build suggestion passed Jo, i'm sure she would be supportive :shock:

Johno
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yes, very supportive of a scientific experiment to find out the tensile strength of my nut sack. :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: Glad you've got my back old mate, don't know what I'd do without either you or Missed :lol:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Brad Y wrote:I had a H&R handi rifle in 17hmr and it split cases like no tomorrow. Now two marlins that havent done it yet with any ammo.

Keith- the vmax do a decent job on foxes. The 20gr xtp's pencil through flesh. My latest rifle likes the 17gr TNT so will see how that goes.
Well that's a point too mate, it could be a combination of sloppy chambers and very thin walled brass that does it and those guns with tighter chambers don't allow the case to split?
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

fenring wrote:As I understand it in development the Hmr could do 3000fps safely in the Ruger 77 action but had to be held back to suit all existing .22M actions to maximise gunmaker involvement, requiring just a different barrel.
There's some bloody tight arses out there! That said, that would explain why the bmag is so damn cheap to try and account for the fact there is no factory guns out there that can be converted to 17wsm.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Not sure about that :? The ruger & CZ would be the strongest, but the problem with converting a 17 or 22 mag would be the action length, just could'nt done.

That was why I mentioned the hornet in a 465, or a ruger 77 22 hornet, though the rotory mag might proof difficult

Johno
fenring

Post by fenring »

The .17WSM is also a .27 diameter body IIRC so magazines would be an issue along with the firing pin, extractor and any other number of things.
kjd wrote: There's some bloody tight arses out there! That said, that would explain why the bmag is so damn cheap to try and account for the fact there is no factory guns out there that can be converted to 17wsm.
Not so much about being tight, but about getting gun makers to jump on board quickly. So you didn't have just Ruger with a gun to handle a new round, you also had every other maker of rimfire rifles.

So the situation we are seeing with the Bmag now was avoided.