Not feeling the love

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Not feeling the love

Post by The Raven »

When is Wild Dog going to sort out their website. From memory, it's been "Under Construction" for several years. Wouldn't it be easier to just reinstate the old site?
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Spoke to wild dog a week ago and all is not well. When the dollar was good for us buying wise, it was disaster for them on the export front. All of the staff left and not much has been done since. It's still there but when asked about getting a stock made I was told their glass man was all keen but still hadn't picked up the moulds.

So there it is.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

kickinback wrote:Spoke to wild dog a week ago and all is not well. When the dollar was good for us buying wise, it was disaster for them on the export front. All of the staff left and not much has been done since. It's still there but when asked about getting a stock made I was told their glass man was all keen but still hadn't picked up the moulds.

So there it is.
Shame to hear that.

I hope things improve for them, as I'm sure many here would prefer to buy locally made....
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Not feeling the love

Post by Buffy »

That's a real shame Kickin!

I did really like a couple of their stocks, especially with the integral ammo compartment.

BB
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Not feeling the love

Post by kickinback »

I reckon he will be back, it's a sideline for him, not bread and butter. So it can be left for a little while and fired up again later. I was pretty disappointed Buff, I was going to buy one on the spot simply because it was ambidextrous.

Edit to add

He is bringing on a bucket load of Stiller actions so shooting is still on his mind.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

kickinback wrote:I can separate them for you Trev.

Cheers mate

I have just sneaked onto the forum as I have 20 minutes before I leave for the next appointment. If I get time and motivation to list it I will give you a yell when sold
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

I'm sorry to hear about wild dog
I have one of their stocks and I would buy another without a moments thought.
Hope they get their sh@t together soon.
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

kickinback wrote:
bushchook wrote:Had the same issue with a Stiller that Clancy built for me. In my case he was the one that talked me into a barrel that was a lot heavier than I originally ordered. Turned out he had another customer wanted my barrel instead of the HV profile that I ended up with. Bad mistake on my part agreeing to that change of specification. Had the whole thing bedded in a Wild Dog tactical stock and ended up with a 15 pound rifle. Like Trevort I found it too heavy and cumbersome to use for most of my shooting. In the end I restocked it in an HS Precision and had the barrel fluted and reprofiled. That took it from a rifle that shot in the .3's to one that shot about MOA.
Sold it off to a bloke that was going to use the components for another build. Not sure whether he kept the original barrel as a switch barrel or used it as a tomato stake.
Moral of the story is not to build something heavier than you like to use and be very wary about reprofiling a barrel.
Bushchook, how heavy was the wild dog stock?
Can't remember exactly. About 4-5 pounds I think. Great stock but heavy. I stuck an HS Precision varmint stock on it for awhile after selling the Wild Dog. It was a lot lighter. Should have left it at that but then reprofiled and fluted the barrel and went to another HS stock in sporter configuration. Also sold off the Badger bottom metal and AI magazines. That series of mods ruined the accuracy and I couldn't find alternative bottom metal that would reliably feed the .243AI despite trying pretty much everything available.
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

Has anyone ever used a wilddog thumb hole stock

Craig