I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
fenring

Re: I've done something silly.. Ordered a Bmag in 17WSM

Post by fenring »

Reckon they will have time to save up - a Nioa rep on AHN said they won't be here before May 2014.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Hope they sort the issues they are having with the savage before it gets here.
Might be a goer if ruger or cz jump aboard, but with both doing the 17 HH I don't see it. Some issues that need sorting there also

Johno
fenring

Post by fenring »

I have to say that to my eye the Bmag looks ugly and uninspiring considering it's the launch pad for a new calibre.

Put it on a shelf among common plastic stocked rimfires and it's not going to jump out at you.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

fenring wrote:I have to say that to my eye the Bmag looks ugly and uninspiring considering it's the launch pad for a new calibre.

Put it on a shelf among common plastic stocked rimfires and it's not going to jump out at you.
But it's cheap and that is the way it will get a foot hold.

I just can't be arsed waiting another 9 months or,else I'd get it.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Nope, wont get a foothold because its cheap mate. Still tipping a big flop, extraction problems, bolts locking up and ugly as sin. By the time it gets here there will be rugers, CZs & savage 17 HH on the shelf

Johno
fenring

Post by fenring »

That's my thinking too. It's an unimpressive looking rifle - Savage have a thing for ugly rear bolt shrouds that look hump backed, the bolt handle looks odd and it's in a race against that forthcoming variety of .17 Hornet rifles.

As much as people might like a 3000fps rimfire they need to like the rifle too.

Remembering that one reason the .17 HMR took off was because it fitted on any existing .22 Mag rifle AND on top of that was the flattest shooting rimfire available. Manufacturers did not need to retool apart from new barrels and the same goes for the .17HH. Not so with the .17WSM.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

I did some searching the other day on US sites, you all know I reckon it should have been made in 20cal. I was surprised how many agreed, plus many thought it would have been excellant in 22cal. It certainly would have bumped the 3grn bullets along in 22.

I wonder how long it will be before the US wild caters try to buy the primed brass in bulk and form one of the above. A few have alredy converted the remington 5mm rem mag rifle to the 17 WSM but as a single shot. It was reputed to be the strongest rimfire action made.

Johno
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

So seeing as I have a bit of a wait ahead of me I lay-by'd a 17hmr today a 93R17BV Laminate Varmint. I will keep the Bmag on order I think and decide which one to sell afterwards.

Hopefully Fenring is right and it kills foxes dead!

17gr Vmax or 20gr TNT Fen?
fenring

Post by fenring »

I prefer the Vmax mate - shoots flattest and seems to have enough penetration for foxes.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Keith, something that you might be well placed to look into, on saubier one of the fellas put a photo up of win 17 HMR bullets, " new design" Don't know where he found the ad, but it said a stronger case and better powder. I don't have a HMR but from wht ive read the split cases are a problem. This might be a fix for that

Johno
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

johno1 wrote:Keith, something that you might be well placed to look into, on saubier one of the fellas put a photo up of win 17 HMR bullets, " new design" Don't know where he found the ad, but it said a stronger case and better powder. I don't have a HMR but from wht ive read the split cases are a problem. This might be a fix for that

Johno
I've heard/seen it but it can't be a huge problem, we never hear any complaints at work. I've just seen it on forums. Not saying it isn't a problem I just don't know if its a big one, I mean as long as it shoots straight and isn't dangerous it is not as if we are reloading them.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Must be a bit of a problem mate or they would'nt go to the trouble you would reckon of marketing the replacement in this way

Johno
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

My hummer used to split about 10% of the necks but like Keith said, it doesn't cause any issue and you don't reload them.

But if they made the brass stronger to up the velocity a wee bit then they might be onto something. However food for thought, compare the 17mk2 to the hummer and ponder how it is about 1/2 the case capacity and achieves 4/5's of the Hummers velocity.
johno1
7mm Rem Mag

Post by johno1 »

Here ya go

Johno
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

andrewk wrote:My hummer used to split about 10% of the necks but like Keith said, it doesn't cause any issue and you don't reload them.

But if they made the brass stronger to up the velocity a wee bit then they might be onto something. However food for thought, compare the 17mk2 to the hummer and ponder how it is about 1/2 the case capacity and achieves 4/5's of the Hummers velocity.
I've never used any of these myself but have noticed a huge amount of split necks on brass I find at the range. Whilst not an issue for reloading, I wonder if this puts any further wear/erosion on the chamber. I'm theorising that split necks could result in gasses blowing out around part(s) of the chamber, and if it's the same spot every-time then that could be detrimental for your rifle long term.