Rem VSSF

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Re: Rem VSSF

Post by ogre6br »

reguardless of which model XX-SF it is it still does not impress

P
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Con wrote:... the VSSF looks like great value compared to the new Marlin 1895SBL where they've added a picatinny rail, large lever loop and will charge you just under $2k locally. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D
Dont forget the extra 2 rnds in the tube. That stainless tube is very expensiver these days :roll:

Dr G
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

Gunsmoke Bathurst wrote:just a quick note to say that the article in the current guns & game about the VSSF, the rifle is not a VSSF but it is the new Varmint SF,i know this because i have both models on the self at Gunsmoke Bathurst and the price is only $1700.00 not $2600.00
Wonder who stuffed that up, cant think it was G&G as it would be fatal for a mag to balls up that bad. I can just imagine the folks at Raytrade and Remington are seriously pissed at someone right now. Fancy sending a midline rifle along for a review as the flagship model :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (if that is what happened)

I spose they will be happy it out shot the Sako out of the box

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr G
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Dr G wrote:
Con wrote:... the VSSF looks like great value compared to the new Marlin 1895SBL where they've added a picatinny rail, large lever loop and will charge you just under $2k locally. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dont forget the extra 2 rnds in the tube. That stainless tube is very expensiver these days :roll:

Dr G
Dr G,
I don't call them Rogue-Traders for nothing. I plain quit buying Remington's awhile back and avoid anything they import ... as it mysteriously turns to gold in price the moment they touch it.
Cheers...
Con
Gunsmoke Bathurst

Post by Gunsmoke Bathurst »

Con wrote:
Dr G wrote:

Dr G
Dr G,
I don't call them Rogue-Traders for nothing. I plain quit buying Remington's awhile back and avoid anything they import ... as it mysteriously turns to gold in price the moment they touch it.
Cheers...
Con
As with all businesses, everyone is there to make a profit and be thankfull they creat jobs for people like you and i , they have overheads such as wages and the like, and i bet you dont work for nothing.
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

Dr G was going to write...... :oops: wrote:Gunsmoke, I dont think Con is targeting local buisness' with this post but the firearms manufacturers and distributors. The Marlin 1895 SBL is a clear example. You can get a normal xlr version for $400 cheaper and the only differences are a reduced barrel 18", big loop in the lever, 2 rounds more capacity and a picatinny rail. $200 even $300 maybe depending on the quality of the picatinny. The one on the marlin sells for $60US from the manufacturer http://www.xssights.com/store/scope.html.

My experience with most local dealers is that they are quite resonable in their markup as for the importers/distributors I have a lot more confidence in there integrity after listening to the Nioa podcast and seeing first hand twice that it can be cheaper to buy leupold in Aussie than in the US. So that leaves me wondering as I suspect it does for Con why Marlin.....
BUT.......

Actually while researching some info for this post I have just found out that demand for this rifle is outstripping production in North America especially in Alaska, Canada and the bear prone areas of the US. If that is the case the market would be the reason the price is so high.

So on that note I am recanting my snipe at the cost of the extra 2rnds worth of stainless steel tubing

Good luck to Remington (the current owners of Marlin) :wink:

Dr G
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Gunsmoke Bathurst,
Can you supply me with a magazine box (just the magazine box) for a Rem700 in 300RUM? It's sold by Brownell for about US$12 and has the window cut-outs. A follower too would be appreciated. A quote through my LGS with the Remington importer of over $200 seemed a bit rude. :lol:

Nioa in comparison (and kudus to them!) have supplied my LGS with similar items for my Ruger (H&H length box, follower and spring) for around $60.

And ... why did RCBS reloading dies drop in price when Nioa got the agency? :P (Just razzing ... I don't need answers to that jibe.) Every importer has the right to set price as they see fit ... I have the right to spend money as I see fit ... its a win-win. :D
Cheers...
Con
Gunsmoke Bathurst

I'm not sure who imports Brownnells in Aust , no major companys, try Pro-cal , and im not sure about the price of RCBS dies , they are more expensive than ever , but like you said theres no rules on how much something should sold for and how much profit should be made.--- Jeff
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Gunsmoke Bathurst wrote:... and Im not sure about the price of RCBS dies , they are more expensive than ever , --- Jeff
Jeff,
When the agency changed they dropped price ... a few gunshops I spoke with all mentioned it was as a result of importer change, but to be fair the dollar was strengthening. RCBS have been the most over-priced for quite awhile now for what you get ... once upon a time they also had a custom die service like no other ... I now strongly suspect that Hornady is cutting the RCBS 'custom dies' and charging an additional US$110. Oddly ... the same die set will be received faster via RCBS than Hornady, perhaps because it doesn't have the sleeve etc... of the Hornady die, finish is not as good either.

I'm negotiating another wildcat for the States and the developer has mentioned the above to me as he gets RCBS to cut the first die set (faster turn-around), then Hornady on the follow ups.
Cheers...
Con
Gunsmoke Bathurst

You're probably right , when you see the massive range of products here in the shop , its a bit hard to keep up, we can only price on what weve been charged.
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Maybe I shouldn't revive this thread but there is already a Remington VSF on usedguns.com.au in .22-250.

Going for $1250 it is a bit more realistic. Get rid of the usual crap Remington Tupperware stock for a Geoff Slee walnut job and it would be a good varminter. The review in G&G had it putting 5 shots in an inch - the Blitz Kings I think it was.
If that is all it's for then once the barrel is gone there's a good action for a project later on.

Dave