WSM WILDCAT

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!

Which WSM Calibre

Poll ended at Fri May 25, 2007 7:33 pm

366(9.3)WSM
17%
375WSM
20%
416WSM
47%
458WSM
17%

Total votes: 30

ShortandFat

Post by ShortandFat »

BlackPete

No definately two different cases

338 Brass can be used but after firing the shoulder should come forward to make a legit 416 Taylor

The 416 Taylor is based on a necked down 458 case not a necked up 338 case, the neck length is the same on both the 416 Taylor and the 338 WM, but when you throat out a 338 chamber with 416 the neck gets longer, top of the shoulder drops back.

Shoulder is higher on a legit 416 Taylor.

Belive me when I tell you there plenty of fellas out there with 338-416 instead of 416 Taylor.

You can use the 416 Taylor Dies but the full length dies is basically only a neck die it doesn't get to the shoulder, the 338 shoulder is too far back.

Have a look at your mates cases and look at the die marks on the neck tell me if they get to the bottem of the neck or stop about 20+ thou short, mine stopped 20+ thou short

If you sketch it out on a piece of paper you will see the problem. The top of the shoulder is the same position on both the 416 Taylor and the 338 WM, you cannot achieve this if you reem with 338 and throat out with 416.

That's why I asked because you can have 2 different 416 WSM, 416-300 WSM and a 416 WSM, both with different neck and shoulder hights

Shane if you read this can you explained it better than I have. Or can somebody put a sketch on here to show the problem

regards
S&F
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

no worries mate, i understand what your saying, i've tried to attach some links below from a site called Ammoguide and after reading their info you can see why i thought you could use either case.
Pete.

This is the standard 338 Win Mag, http://ammoguide.com/?catid=75
This is the 416 Taylor, http://ammoguide.com/?catid=165
This is the 458 Win Mag, http://ammoguide.com/?catid=35

When you are on the site you can bring up a visual comparison betweem any two cases, have a play, read the info and let me know what you think.
Pete.
ShortandFat

Post by ShortandFat »

Blackpete

I couldn't get in

I'm told there are 3 known diffrerent measurements and dimensions for the 416 Taylor

It would be a lot easier if it could be standadised

I'll see if I can dig up the original case dimentions as well.

If I ran the 458 cases thru the dies it would have reshaped them even it the 458 is a wider case, this wasn't the problem, the problem was the case was chambering, all the way to the shoulder and stopping but I couldn't close the bolt, it was about 20 thou to long

regards
S&F
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

no worries mate,
i had a chat to my gunsmith today and i'll probably order my own reamer from the states as i have done with my target rifle. whilst it may cost me a couple of hundred dollars i am assured of getting exactly what i want and then have the freedom of ordering any barrel, anytime from anywhere.

i've found Climmer, pacific tool & guage and the like make good reamers at a reasonable price, if you are interested just email them and see who has the best price at the time.

pete.