Best factory .223 varmint rifle for >1k?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

kids lol anywho.....still hasnt decided yet and its still a line ball as he puts it in the mail tomorrow so i guess he has tonight to ponder it!
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Lmao yay i pissed yet another 243 wanker off. Its so so easy to do just chuck out the bait and reel them in!
Dang............. how did I miss out on this :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe smellier bait next time kjd :lol:

KY
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

Dave I am a Rem nut but own a T3 and have never tried or want to try a Savage. I take it he will not be wanting to spend $'s to have it's accuracy improved. I would then go for the Tikka. they have a good feel and balance are very accurate and for some one knew to shooting have the added advantage of a detachable magazine. well thats my 2 bob's worth.
trishbob40
.22 WMR

Re: Best factory .223 varmint rifle for >1k?

Post by trishbob40 »

dave wrote:Hey all,

Mate of mine is just getting into shooting and thought id see the response as he is looking for something like the subject suggests.

Cheers
David
Dave I have three tikkas 25/06 ,243 ,223..stainless
varmint synth stocks and they all shoot the eyebrows of a greenant at 200mtrs realey they are a top rifle :roll:
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Mate put him onto the Tikka, you cannot go wrong with these things for perfomance out of the box.

Trigger is the best of the factory rifles bar none.

Some people get me to bed them to get the most out of them but you can getaway without it if you like as they are one of the best from factory.

Rem is the obvious next pick.
cheers,
Shane
Saddlemaker

Post by Saddlemaker »

Another vote for Savage,remember, extra Savage barrels are cheap. You can change out a 22-250 to a 243 in about 20 minutes if you have the go no go gauges. My favorite varmint cartridge is the 22-250AI with a 1-8 twist. The 80 grain Sierra at about 3600fps will take any varmint to as far as you can hit it. The down side is it is not a fur friendly round.
Walt
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I own several Savages, they should fit the price range nicely, as should the Howa (I own one of them, too) and it would be hard to ignore the CZs, I have two of them, and love the triggers and handiness.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Savage barrels are near non-existant in Australia. My local dealer is chasing some right now hoping that barrels come in with the next shipment. Whether through laziness/ineptness on behalf of the importer OR legitimate red tape hassles ... we find it hard to source factory Savage barrels :evil: The same importer has no trouble with Ruger barrels ... and they tell me its a US thing :roll:. If barrels do arrive in the next shipment ... I'm down for a 243Win and maybe a 308Win, varmint contoured barrels for "add-ons" to the VLP-S in 22/250. We can get Shilen and Lothar "screw-in" barrels for Savage but they're not economically feasible as your looking at AUD$500+.
Cheers...
Con
Saddlemaker

Post by Saddlemaker »

Con,
It's a darn shame I can't swap you a trialer full of Savage barrel's for some nice Martini single shot actions. I have a friend with a really nice 22K-Hornet on a nice little Martini single shot that he says we have to bury him with.
Good Hunting..Walt