Next Varminter setup?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Tez
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by Tez »

I have to say,when I have had the chance to check them out over the counter I've never been impressed either.But they are bloody cheap.

I've owned a couple of Remingtons,never let me down in any way.
Both where very accurate.

Mate tell me more about those ruger VT's .
What do they sell for?

:D
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Mate both my VT's in 25/06 and 223 were around the 1100 mark brand new. They come with rings and the 25/06 even came with high rings. I can only guess that ruger just assume u would be putting a large bell scope on a 25/06 varminter!!!. I had the trigers worked and even though they are 2 stage, they both feel great to shoot. Im currently using the 25/06 as a project but the 223 shoots .5 moa (and less) consistantly with 50gr nosler BT's and only 60odd bux extra to get the trigger lightened. I havent done any work on the bedding!!.

There should be a review of both VT's in the Rifles section from memory. I think that alot of people really under estimate the ruger's. They're cheap, rugged/reliable and you'll see from some of my targets that they are very accurate with little work.
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

22.250 Ackley maybe... make sure you get at least a 1:10" twist, and you can even run the RWS 74 grain cone point that the Europeans use for boar and deer, and the light pills will still shoot tight!
Geoff Rath
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

I have done a bit of load testing for a 22-250 Improved,1-10 twist and found that it shot Sierra 69 gns well but 75 gn Amax don't stabilize. 50gn V-max was on the verge of disintegrating. I think you'd need 1-8 or 1-9 and the lighter bullets you'd have to use a milder load...
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Kjd, what cal is your special varmint? Ive got an older red mist in .22-250 and it shoots most stuff even cheap winchester 40 packs beautifully, seems a bummer that yours is a bit dissapointing......
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

dave wrote:Kjd, what cal is your special varmint? Ive got an older red mist in .22-250 and it shoots most stuff even cheap winchester 40 packs beautifully, seems a bummer that yours is a bit dissapointing......

Think you're talking about lowndsie there mate!!!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Mate im not really dissapointed in it as such.... I know I got what I paid for but I just wish I had saved a bit more and got something else. The problem is now that I will never get back what I paid for it so I might as well hang onto it!!! Its mostly the crappy stock and the ordinary trigger that is my biggest complaint.