Not feeling the love

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Not feeling the love

Post by trevort »

Dr G wrote:You have the action trigger and bits you need already, sell the barrel and stock get a rem varmint profile and PST083 stock. Great combination, almost catkilleresque :wink:

Waste of time and money selling a predator action for another stiller

Doc I'm thinking that a 20Dasher or PPC is unlikely to be a magazine fed option so a 223 bolt face repeater reamed out to 308 and converted to single shot with a follower instead of a solid single shot action has no appeal.

If DBM is available that feeds PPC cases then your idea has merit. Plenty of meat on the bolt to take it out to PPC

Anyone know of DBM magazine that feeds PPC?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Can I ask why do you need a magazine for a varminting /spotlighting rifle ?

Not hard to catch the ejected m/t case and drop a fresh one in.The biggest advantage is better policing of expensive brass.

The 20 PPC gets 300 fps more than the 204R. If you run that through a Ballistic program you will soon see the advantage

Lapua brass is so much better with with Annie from BRT reporting that many Benchrest shooters using Lapua 220 Russian cases are getting in excess of 50 reloads from a case.

You should never have sold the Redding 20 PPC dies you had Trevor.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

You should never have sold the Redding 20 PPC dies you had Trevor.
Yes he should of!

Glenn
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Andrew you didnt read my post properly.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

MISSED wrote:Can I ask why do you need a magazine for a varminting /spotlighting rifle
The only reason he is asking is because the stiller predator action he has is a repeater action.

Trev you could just make it an oversized drop port :D

Seriously though if your going to do this you could just use a single shot follower conversion, still be more economical in time and money than waiting on a new action
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

If I will have a single shot rifle I wont convert a repeater, I would rather have a proper single shot. Hence make the current action magazine feed or start again with a single shot action
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Fair enough, look forwards to reading about and seeing the build unfold :D
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Glenn wrote:
Glenn wrote:
A 20ppc be nice but its not a huge advantage over a stock 204R.
Have you used one?

You get 300fps with the same amount of powder and the best brass made!

PPC accuracy!

I just had my 20 PPC barrel reprofiled for $200.00!
Cheaper than a new barrel!

Glenn
No glenn I dont have one and I guess if you put the 300fps through some ballistics program there would be some gains on paper to a plain old 204R.
I have found the 204R inherently accurate so not a big advantage
The ppc is better brass but more expensive. Plain old rem brass does the job for 204R
Now any fox or other varmint is not going to tell the difference between a well placed shot at any range between the ppc or 204R or a missed placed shot.
So the reason I said it would be hardly worth it was for the cost of setting up a completely new rifle compared to just selling the A5 stock for the cost of the hs. Only up for new barrel.
$200 dollors is a good price for barrel profile if it still shoots good but what if it doesn't. The guy that profiled it wont give your money back would rather spend a 2/3 more money and have a new barrel as there is always the risk in a reprofile so I have been advised.
Now if Trev has his heart set on something a bit different but does roughly the same thing to keep up with the jones I totally understand because I have done the same thing plenty of times :D
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I say 223 1:8 twist. Super fun!!! Can shoot 40 grainers to 80's. Versatile!!!
matang
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by matang »

Ackley Improved wrote:I say 223 1:8 twist. Super fun!!! Can shoot 40 grainers to 80's. Versatile!!!
That will be one of my future projects :wink:
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day all,
All BS aside, Trev, have a good think, decide what you WANT your rifle to DO. Then decide which cartridge will do that ROLE best AND with the most flexibility (as an example a 223 with 1:8t 40 - 80gn bullets: re AI post)
Then do an inventory of what you have i.e. triggers, action, scopes, stocks etc, cull what you DONT NEED, buy what you DO NEED, and go build it.
Keep it SIMPLE, keep it FLEXIBLE (and that may mean a chambered barrel with a twist rate that covers heaps of bullet options (6BR 65gn to 108gn) or maybe a pair of barrels to switch from say 22BR (1:8T: 55gn-80gn) up to a 6.5x47, 7-08 or similar). Switch barrels mean a re-zero check every time, same barrel and 2 loads (light/heavy bullets) may mean a quick tweak of the turrets........
Try to limit it to various chambers based on a single parent case (22/6br or maybe 22x47lapua/6.5 Lapua) depending on die/reamer availability etc.
Try not to over complicate it.
After nearly 2 decades of switch barrels, I like grabbing the rifle set up for a specific role and getting on with the job. I think it is better to have 2 rifles exactly the same scope, stock etc and 2 completely different chambering's BUT with similar ballistics is far better and less complicated than a switch barrel, leave them for completion use, not for field use.
Hope this helps.
Cheerio Ned
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Had the same issue with a Stiller that Clancy built for me. In my case he was the one that talked me into a barrel that was a lot heavier than I originally ordered. Turned out he had another customer wanted my barrel instead of the HV profile that I ended up with. Bad mistake on my part agreeing to that change of specification. Had the whole thing bedded in a Wild Dog tactical stock and ended up with a 15 pound rifle. Like Trevort I found it too heavy and cumbersome to use for most of my shooting. In the end I restocked it in an HS Precision and had the barrel fluted and reprofiled. That took it from a rifle that shot in the .3's to one that shot about MOA.
Sold it off to a bloke that was going to use the components for another build. Not sure whether he kept the original barrel as a switch barrel or used it as a tomato stake.
Moral of the story is not to build something heavier than you like to use and be very wary about reprofiling a barrel.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

bushchook wrote:Had the same issue with a Stiller that Clancy built for me. In my case he was the one that talked me into a barrel that was a lot heavier than I originally ordered. Turned out he had another customer wanted my barrel instead of the HV profile that I ended up with. Bad mistake on my part agreeing to that change of specification. Had the whole thing bedded in a Wild Dog tactical stock and ended up with a 15 pound rifle. Like Trevort I found it too heavy and cumbersome to use for most of my shooting. In the end I restocked it in an HS Precision and had the barrel fluted and reprofiled. That took it from a rifle that shot in the .3's to one that shot about MOA.
Sold it off to a bloke that was going to use the components for another build. Not sure whether he kept the original barrel as a switch barrel or used it as a tomato stake.
Moral of the story is not to build something heavier than you like to use and be very wary about reprofiling a barrel.
Bushchook, how heavy was the wild dog stock?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I think I will sell the stock and barrel. Any Melbourne members have the tools and desire to screw the barrel off?
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I can separate them for you Trev.