What are you all building?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Re: What are you all building?

Post by stinkitup »

Camel wrote:Well I will say that is a little different, but it would be quite practical, as you will need a new magazine, are you going to get a longer one say 3006 for more room, or go with a 308 size. You will definitely have to put up some photos of the progress.

Yes it should be practical, I have been holding off the bolt and mag for a while but think I will order the bolt unless anyone wants to swap a 308 savage bolt head or has one to sell cheap :) . I was thinking of getting it built then investigate some mag options, probably not a lot of options and a 3006 mag is most likely too long for the short action. I have played with some cases and some pills Malcolm sent me on here and will be able to seat them short to fit the mag and still be use-able. Thinking PT&G making savage bottom metal for detachable mags now. So will see what I can find.

I looked at 338 as well but the 358 in the same weight can be pushed faster than the 338. It's for hunting not target work but hopefully it shoots small groups as well.

There are some very interesting builds coming along from everyone.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Camel wrote:Ive made a bit of progress on "the ultimate" rifle, found a Zastava m70 action at around 100.00 below normal retail and grabbed it, done some digging and have decided on the stock for it from Richards Microfit, followed a link that Gnome put up and sorta, kinda decided on the brake, calibre/cartridge is going to be 300Winmag, barrel is supposed to be on the way, Mcgowen 1 - 12 twist Rem varmint profile finished at 26 inches. Now its just a matter of getting all the other bits that seem to be forgotten till the last minute, dies, brass, projectiles, mounts, scope. It will probably only be used once or twice a year for shooting long range gongs.

Being that the barrel is 1 in 12 I probably wont be going over around 160 to 180 gn projectiles, no idea how anything heavier would stabalise

Thanks for the offer of the 300H&H reamer Adam, but no thanks. Will go with the 300Win as its easier to obtain brass and dies, probably be cheaper as well.

As I said in one of my other posts, Gnome and Glenn have a lot to answer for. :lol: :lol: But I do have to thank them both for stoking the fire of long range shooting.
What stock are you getting Camel??

I will need something that handles the recoil of 200 grains so want something comfortable. I was thinking maybe a decent thumbhole but not sure, don't see many big game rifles with thumbhole stocks :lol: :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Stink, Im hoping to be able to get one of their thumbhole target stocks, might be a little chunky, but at least I will be able to slim it down if needs be, bit hard to put extra wood on :D

With the Savage action I thought you might be able to get the bolt stop for the longer rounds and use the longer magazine with it, but then I may be thinking of Tikka rifles, Im not too sure. One thing sure Con will know about the Savage if anyone does.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Buff Buster wrote:Sounds good Camel! I'm thinking about one of them brakes too, for the 308 simply because they look cool ha ha

Once I get to the NT and my pay rise comes through I'm going to start my first build. Not sure what it's going to be yet, but I would think it's going to be a big round making 338 projies move fast.....

hmmm there is so many decisions and possibilities

BB
Hey Buff, if you follow Gnome's link he put in my topic about brakes there are some pretty awesome cartridges in there, look for Allen Magnum Wildcats and Raptor wildcats. Now they are impressive, but I imagine they would be rather hard and pricy to get hold of over here. Some of their rifles are pretty spectacular as well.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I'm in process of acquiring all of the components for a HG build. It will be built on a Rem 700 SS LA and a laminate McMillan HBR clone stock. I've also since acquired a few tart up parts from Kelby, Whidden and PT&G (20 MOA rail, Nesika bolt shroud, straight threaded bolt handle and 50 max rings from Badger and recoil lug and action wrench etc etc).

I had intended to build a 338 Winchester Magnum and have another barrel done in 7mm Remington SAUM, however, the longer that I've left it, I'm now considering other calibers such as 338 RUM or 338 Edge and as for the 7mm RSAUM I'm finding it impossible to source brass. Decisions, decisions and it's more than likely that I will be made redundant at the end of the year, if so I may even just buy a Bat action-with the money.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Camel wrote:Stink, Im hoping to be able to get one of their thumbhole target stocks, might be a little chunky, but at least I will be able to slim it down if needs be, bit hard to put extra wood on :D

With the Savage action I thought you might be able to get the bolt stop for the longer rounds and use the longer magazine with it, but then I may be thinking of Tikka rifles, Im not too sure. One thing sure Con will know about the Savage if anyone does.
Hmm good Idea on the target action your right its pretty easy to take wood off just be careful it's not too much :lol: :lol:

Being a 223 based action the 223 bolt head has a spacer and so does the mag but the 308 uses all the room it can get. There is probably some mag that will be a touch longer 3 inch or just longer will do me fine, I am basing it around a short throat to suit anyway. If it works well but really need a longer action I'll buy a long action savage and screw the barrel on 8)

I had thought about the dual grip thumbhole looks pretty cool

http://rifle-stocks.com/dualgripthumbhole.htm
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Curtley78 wrote:I'm in process of acquiring all of the components for a HG build. It will be built on a Rem 700 SS LA and a laminate McMillan HBR clone stock. I've also since acquired a few tart up parts from Kelby, Whidden and PT&G (20 MOA rail, Nesika bolt shroud, straight threaded bolt handle and 50 max rings from Badger and recoil lug and action wrench etc etc).

I had intended to build a 338 Winchester Magnum and have another barrel done in 7mm Remington SAUM, however, the longer that I've left it, I'm now considering other calibers such as 338 RUM or 338 Edge and as for the 7mm RSAUM I'm finding it impossible to source brass. Decisions, decisions and it's more than likely that I will be made redundant at the end of the year, if so I may even just buy a Bat action-with the money.
just buy the bat action i reckon :D
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

not building anything but seriously considering the stiller tac 30 on used guns in 6.5x47 lap built by giles ,just not sure whether i need , i no i want it though but how many good guns does a man need :D have been mulling over it since it went on there
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Yes, I have my mind set on a Bat-although I'm still coming to terms with Redundancy and life after the waterfront (I've been on the waterfront now for 16 years and am lost as to what I would do for work). I've got a few ideas but would need something that provides absolute flexibility thus allowing me to have my freedoms (such as hunting and shooting). I'll probably enrol at Tafe and brush up on my writing, grammar and journalistic skills.

At a later stage, I also intend to write a book. I have a million stories to tell.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Here is one I finished the bedding on this afternoon,just needs a little spit and polish.
IMAG0917 (Medium).jpg
IMAG0918 (Medium).jpg
IMAG0918 (Medium).jpg (98.91 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Curtley78 wrote:At a later stage, I also intend to write a book. I have a million stories to tell.
Sean, Little golden books have that corner of the market covered............. :) :) :lol:
Last edited by chris.tyne on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

That is a seriously nice looking bit of gear. The stainless barrel ans scope just works against that stick o' wood.

Sorry Trevort, I'm not in your camp when it comes to how a rifle should be stocked - i'm loving all these beautifully figured timber stocks.

Marcus
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Noice Chris I like that where is the Flannelette
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Marcus, I like plastic because a stock like that shouldnt get scrathed. I would be really sad if I scratched that.

Chris that is a work of art. Seriously nice, Whats the stock, can I have one?
Smee
Ethics Shooting Standards Moderator
Favourite Cartridge: big ones

Post by Smee »

That makes my old Sportco look awful
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Thanks for the comments,Trevor the stock is a bit of................Ummm..................well ,it started as a frankenstock :shock: ,A bloke I have known in the states for a while makes them,if you would believe it this original blank was a pattern taken from an inline muzzle loader...........yeah wow.
I sent it to mister I can make a piece of pallet timber look nice(Missed) and he reshaped the forend,hand finished it etc ,I had to remill the vents..............cause they looked shithouse originally and finished the inletting ,made pillars and estucheon's etc.
So to answer your question "Yes " you can get one but it may take a little while.