Hunting/Shooting rifle similar to 270 or 308

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Re: Hunting/Shooting rifle similar to 270 or 308

Post by mistit »

pavlovaw wrote:While i know and have seen pigs killed with the 17 HMR (and the Troll comment shows your arrogant attitude) it is not my caliber of choice for that game. As with the 308 i would be more inclined to use a good 180 grain soft point over a ballistic tip or V-max, A-max, as the bigger pigs will most certainly carry more mud on them than smaller pigs. Have seen projectiles fired at medium sized pigs (50-80 kgs) from 308s and 300 win mags appear to ricochet off the mud encrusted on these pigs and when finally killed only left welt marks, and they were using 180 grain sierra soft points. So keep in mind, whether using a 223 or big 30 you will need a decently constructed hunting projectile to reliably kill good sized pigs, especially when shooting out to 500 yards. And make sure you get a good range finder, as lots of people make massive over estimates as to how far they have killed animals and also helps with zeroing and making drop cards out to your desired range.
Been doing my best to ignore this but it's got the better of me ,do you mean welts from a 17 hmr or welts from a 180 grain game king ,sorry just had to ask :)
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Hmmm

I use the 155gn Dyer HBC out of my 30-06.
Never left a "welt" that didnt kill the damn pig.

Living in the NT we get some big ones, but realisticly speaking no bigger or muddier than anywhere else.

Mick
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

So keep in mind, whether using a 223 or big 30 you will need a decently constructed hunting projectile to reliably kill good sized pigs
Funny you should say that...... My favourite projectile for big NT pigs out of my .308win was a remmy core lokt 150gr RNSP, designed for the 30-30...... decently constructed projectile, I don't think so, but a very proficient killer on swine of all shapes, sizes and muddiness (Is muddiness even a word? :lol: ) Not one of the pigs I shot with that pill made it more than 10m.....

You don't need ridiculously expensive projectiles to kill pigs effectively. Learn how to take your time and place your shots, even an expensive pill shot in the ass of a pig is not necessarily going to kill it.

Its as simple as this, Know the capabilities of yourself and your rifle/calibre, shoot the pig in the right spot and that pig is history......

Just my 2c

Cheers

BB
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Maybe some of the boars have been cross breeding with Sambar,hybrid bullet proof version :)..............................with grinders.
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

Funny funny, if you guys also read the shooter mag about 12 months ago there was also a story in there with pictures of a mud encrusted pig hit with a 300 demonstrating a minor bruise on the shoulder from where the bullet hit the mud and only knocked a bit of it off without even breaking the skin, having shot a few myself, (can hear the surprised gasps all round from some of the time wasters here) have had it happen using 117 grain gamekings in my 25/06, but hell, it hasent happened to you guys, so please put all the smart remarks up you can.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

pavlovaw wrote:Funny funny, if you guys also read the shooter mag about 12 months ago there was also a story in there with pictures of a mud encrusted pig hit with a 300 demonstrating a minor bruise on the shoulder from where the bullet hit the mud and only knocked a bit of it off without even breaking the skin, having shot a few myself, (can hear the surprised gasps all round from some of the time wasters here) have had it happen using 117 grain gamekings in my 25/06, but hell, it hasent happened to you guys, so please put all the smart remarks up you can.

Ease up a bit there old horse, most of the blokes who have passed comment do so more in a light hearted manner, this isn't a dick measuring contest. :D
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

pavlovaw wrote:Funny funny, if you guys also read the shooter mag about 12 months ago there was also a story in there with pictures of a mud encrusted pig hit with a 300 demonstrating a minor bruise on the shoulder from where the bullet hit the mud and only knocked a bit of it off without even breaking the skin, having shot a few myself, (can hear the surprised gasps all round from some of the time wasters here) have had it happen using 117 grain gamekings in my 25/06, but hell, it hasent happened to you guys, so please put all the smart remarks up you can.
As camel said ,was only being light hearted ,just sounded funny that you have shot them with a 17, and 180 grainers haven't stopped them even a mate saying that would get a bit of a ribbing ,not saying it can't happen though :)
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Yeah I was tongue in cheek..............................well sort of,I have shot a pig or two over the years.My favorite rifle was a plain jane 30/06 using either or 150gn interloks ,speer tnt's and I never ever put a welt on one with either of those projectiles,plenty of holes you could see through but no welts....................not saying it dont happen though.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

and yet a 308 will penetrate a 10mm plate of mild steel...
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Dropped a couple of piggies with the ole hummer meself... 55gr vmax in a 22-250 work as well.
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

shot and killed more pigs with a 222 than any other cartridge or calibre, however i was alot younger then and only owned 1 centrefire and would spend the time to get in close as i do with my bow. If taking a rifle now i just take a larger one and sit back further. You fellas do get a bit serious!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Juzz...........me be serious.............................surely not :)
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

could this be the extreme range deersniper who got banned with a new sign on?

Apologies if your not.

Animals are made of meat, bullets are made of metal and they go very fast. Ballistics is a science, hunting is practical. Meat loses when hit with fast metal.

Dont get carried away with your calculator