need advice on varminting rifle

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Re: need advice on varminting rifle

Post by Dave.223 »

Tikka - The Fiocchi is good stuff actually. There is also the 50 grain vmax which I would have bought but they were sold out.
I use it mostly for rabbits and foxes under the spotlight and it is certainly accurate. I have been going to reload but just putting it off due to time and I have enough with the 6BR which I really enjoy.

Cheers
Dave
243redmist

Post by 243redmist »

243 win.

65 gr Vmaxes @ 3600+ fps.Hold dead on a rabbit to 300m.And you can run the 87gr Vmaxes @ 3200 fps, they are a great LR varmint round.

I load both loads in my T3 varmint.The 87's are sighted for 100m the 65's are printing 1MOA higher without any windage adjustment.

Great round for dual purpose work.

Most projy's run around the 30-40c each but unlike a 223 or 22-250 you won't need two rounds to do the job. :lol: :lol:
Oberon Varminter
Favourite Cartridge: .222

Post by Oberon Varminter »

Save your money and just shoot everything with the springer :)
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Rumpus- Tell us some more about these premature expanding bullets.???
david

Post by david »

i seen around these wssm, to me they do look a bit funny. any one had any experence with them?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yeah, brownings were accurate enough winchesters generally werent. Most have put these in the obsolete bin and called it a failed marketing ploy. You'll burn out a barrel pretty quick with a 223 wssm.

I had a 243 wssm and it worked well with only a grain more powder than the standard 243 I had at the time so I cant see how that would be any more of a barrel burner in 243 chambering.

They are cheap so if you wanna try one then just junk it when the barrel goes!
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

trevort wrote:a 204 is streets ahead of a 223 as a varminting cartridge but factory ammo for a 223 is way cheaper. Buy a 204 if you handload.
The 204 is only available in premium factory ammunition. Interesting to note that 223 premium factory ammunition is the same price. Premium grade factory ammunition costs more due to the extremely high quality controls imposed. Reloading componets for the 204 and 223 are the same price.