Tikka T3 feeding problem

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Tikka T3 feeding problem

Post by Camel »

This mob may be able to help you with a new magazine, they are very good to do business with and give prompt replies to enquiries.

http://www.hss.net.au/
Varminter1974
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Varminter1974 »

I called around a few shops to try and find replacement mags (the first two had everything but the right calibre) and at Frank O'Reilly's they had all kinds of options. I went for the Lucky 13 steel 10-shot mag, which they assure me has been complaint-free in their experience (will see about that! - hopefully it's true).
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Varminter1974 wrote:I called around a few shops to try and find replacement mags (the first two had everything but the right calibre) and at Frank O'Reilly's they had all kinds of options. I went for the Lucky 13 steel 10-shot mag, which they assure me has been complaint-free in their experience (will see about that! - hopefully it's true).
Just a afterthought mate but have you seen them on a rifle? They're a big mag and might get in the way depending on your style of shooting.
Varminter1974

Post by Varminter1974 »

lowndsie wrote:
Varminter1974 wrote:I called around a few shops to try and find replacement mags (the first two had everything but the right calibre) and at Frank O'Reilly's they had all kinds of options. I went for the Lucky 13 steel 10-shot mag, which they assure me has been complaint-free in their experience (will see about that! - hopefully it's true).
Just a afterthought mate but have you seen them on a rifle? They're a big mag and might get in the way depending on your style of shooting.
Mate, thanks for that thought. I expect it should be OK, but will know for sure when it gets put to the test a week from today. I almost exclusively go spotlighting from the cab with it, and for long shots go over the bonnet with a bipod.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Varminter1974 wrote:
lowndsie wrote:
Mate, thanks for that thought. I expect it should be OK, but will know for sure when it gets put to the test a week from today. I almost exclusively go spotlighting from the cab with it,and for long shots go over the bonnet with a bipod.
You just got on the Kickenback shit list. :shock: :lol: :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Camel wrote:
Varminter1974 wrote:
lowndsie wrote:
Mate, thanks for that thought. I expect it should be OK, but will know for sure when it gets put to the test a week from today. I almost exclusively go spotlighting from the cab with it,and for long shots go over the bonnet with a bipod.

Yeah got the lecture last weekend

"no painted surface should have something set on it"
Varminter1974

Post by Varminter1974 »

trevort wrote:
Camel wrote:
Varminter1974 wrote:
lowndsie wrote:
Always very careful setting bipod feet on the bonnet. They're soft rubber, placed gently (no matter how urgent the shot) and my mate's '97 Triton still looks in top nick.
Yeah got the lecture last weekend

"no painted surface should have something set on it"
New to 223
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by New to 223 »

I use the non slip mat from the $2 shop, it's black and very light weight, I think it's used on washing machine tops and smooth surfaces that require a non slip surface. It's good for bench rest shooting too.

I hop out of the ute, lob it down and place the bipod on it, I guess if you wanted to save a fraction of a second you could tape it to the bonnet while out.

How far can a fox run in a second or two.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

New to 223 wrote:I use the non slip mat from the $2 shop, it's black and very light weight, I think it's used on washing machine tops and smooth surfaces that require a non slip surface. It's good for bench rest shooting too.

I hop out of the ute, lob it down and place the bipod on it, I guess if you wanted to save a fraction of a second you could tape it to the bonnet while out.

[glow=redHow far can a fox run in a second or two][/glow].

Maybe not far, but they can go from sitting looking at you to walking/running away while stuffing around getting in position to shoot over the bonnet, that's why they invented opening windows on motor vehicles, to shoot out of. :D
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

New to 223 wrote:I use the non slip mat from the $2 shop, it's black and very light weight, I think it's used on washing machine tops and smooth surfaces that require a non slip surface. It's good for bench rest shooting too.

How far can a fox run in a second or two.
I once shot a running fox in the head at somewhere between 150 and 200m with either the third or fourth shot. Only got it when he changed direction to run straight away from me so the reticle just had to be in front of him.

I still call it a fluke. Highly unlikely to be repeated since I don't shoot at them (generally) when they are running. All the other times I've missed.

As Camel states its being ready in seconds while it sits looking at you deciding how dangerous the situation is and how fast they will bolt. Sometimes they have played the game before and bolt as soon as the light hits them. Sometimes they sit for a while. The quicker you can settle and shoot the higher percentage of foxes seen lie down for a long nap.

Fark it, I'm agreeing with THOD :roll:
Varminter1974

Post by Varminter1974 »

Depending on the type of critter and its size I will shoot from inside the vehicle (resting the barrel on the side mirror arm and cradling the butt in the cab) out to about 150m. Beyond that I will go over the bonnet so I can get better stability fore and aft, with a best spotlighting shot of 330m on a fox. As it is far from guaranteed that a fox will sit and wait to be shot it's best to get set up ASAP and have a crack at it.