Roessler Titan 16

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Roessler Titan 16

Post by trevort »

Hey there Jonty.

I bet London to a brick I'm not the only one who would love to hear more about the custom. It looks schmick
johnty
Favourite Cartridge: 223 & 6.5x47L

Post by johnty »

Trev, as in the benchrest rifle?
Last edited by johnty on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I reckon a story behind your avatar would be worth reading.
johnty

Re: RE: Re: Roessler Titan 16

Post by johnty »

MISSED wrote:I reckon a story behind your avatar would be worth reading.
The avatar
ahhh it was a cold may 22 2010(from memory), 2 days before starting new job back in brisbane. I had not had the 223 for a couple months yet. Was out with my brother and he howled out as he did. No reply so we waited patiently. Along trotted this young dog without as much of a reply to the howling. I was super nervous and heart was going about 700 bpm. I wait til he stopped moving cause i didnt want to miss and be laughed at by big bro. We were well hidden behind a pile of pushed up trees. He stopped about 10 m in front of me and i did the shakiest trigger pull ever seen. I hit him right in the middle of the chest, from memory it was blurry and filled the whole scope. A few shakes and he fell dead slow motion
back legs keeled under then over sideways. Not a wimper or twitch. Happy days. Remember my first wild dog kill like it was yestetday.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Now that was a story worth relating, never hunted the wiley wild dog, shot a few "Pets" that were chasing stock and mauling it, but not true wild dogs. What else do you get up to ??
johnty

Post by johnty »

Pigs cats and foxes at mungindi. Red deer and dogs and occasional pig basically at western branch of bribane river every other weekend
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

yes the br rifle

what where the problems? does it shoot well now
johnty

Post by johnty »

The Benchrest Rifle

Firstly some about 4 years ago i bought a house. I had a choice, keep smoking or give up the cigarettes so i could buy the odd toy. So i give them up and put cigarette money away each week in a separate account. After I had some thousands saved, i decided i need a bench rest rifle and all the gear to go along with it.

kelbly stolle panda action (its so shiny)
macmillan f-class stock with adjustable cheekpiece and adjustable l.o.p.
also has a accessory rail underneath at the front.
jewel trigger (omg this trigger is so nice, i really think i should have a jewel on every rifle)
lilja 1in8 28" stainless barrel
scope is a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRFCH
Farley BRT benchrest.

The rifle was built by PSECO. The only nice thing I have to say about PSECO is that the rifle seems to be put together well. The poor time management and laziness seems to be the main business model. I would recommend his work but i would not recommend anyone get a custom rifle built by him. Many delays because of the effort to order stuff(sorry being sarcastic, we all know its hard to pick up phone and order things in this day and age). I received the rifle 24th Dec 2013, 11 months after I ordered it. I would have had it a few weeks earlier but he couldn't be bothered to thread barrel and call me. Only got it on 24th cause he wanted his money to go away for Christmas. This whole thing sorta upset me, because I'm precious, that's why i never shared the story of it. Feel a little bad not giving PSECO a good recommendations.

The action in epoxied into the stock, so I hope I never need to get the action out for any reason.

The scope is beautiful. I bought it a few years before i even decided what I was going to do with it. Got it from the states for bit less than 800 aussie dollars. At the time it was the most powerful sightron had. Seriously if people have not tried a sightron and want a medium priced scope, I would recommend them highly. On a good background i can see bullet holes at 600m.

The rifle is chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua, as I have stated earlier I love this cartridge. Its light recoil specially on a rifle that weighs somewhere about 17 pounds. It shoots very well but I haven't got the best out of it yet. But i do need to get the throat lengthened so i dont have to seat the projectiles so far in. Hvae only fired about 200 rounds.

My biggest bug bear is times had been tough for a bit after I got it and i wasn't able to splurge to get some projectiles. Now i am out and i can seem to find any anywhere. I need Berger 130gr VLD's. They work real good.

My best 5 shots so far is 0.66 inch at 200 yards but more often about an inch. But I'm not consistent at all. Using a super light trigger and farley rest is pretty foriegn to me after using rem 700 223 and bipod for so long.

I have got some 123gr scenars the other week to give ago but i am currently more concentrating on the roessler.

Anyone wanna coach me on using it?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

That's some story mate, pity it took so long for it to get done, but as its going well now you must be happy with it.

Oh yeah, you do know that 6.5x47 isn't really a true 6.5mm don't you ?? :mrburns:
johnty

Post by johnty »

be better if i could get some damned projectiles

dont know what you mean about it not being 6.5mm camel
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Jonty mostly no one has a clue what THLD (AKA Camel) is on about, least of all himself.

Can you get to a range that does 300m or 500m fly shoots. When I tried my hand at it heaps of blokes offering to help and you do learn a heap about shooting, especially that you cant just point at the target an pull the trigger, you have to learn to read the wind. setting up your rest, making sure your parallax is right, making sure your stock will slide in the front and rear bag consistently etc etc, Get to a range

Try BRT or Procal for your pills
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

johnty wrote:be better if i could get some damned projectiles

dont know what you mean about it not being 6.5mm camel
Yeah getting the projectile you want can be a pain sometimes unfortunately, guess its just a matter of keep asking and looking and then strike when you find some.

The 6.5mm designated cartridges take .264 calibre projectiles, the 257 take surprisingly .257. As 6,5mm converted to imperial equals .255905512, the 257 is actually a hell of a lot closer to 6.5mm than the others. Its just a little dig that I have a those who drool all over 6.5mm cartridges. All in fun I can assure you. :D
johnty

Post by johnty »

Camel, doesnt your new cartridge use a projectile with a diameter of .257". whickh in metric is 6.5278mm.

Cant wait to see your new (correctly named) 6.5 Camel.

:D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yeah mate, that's what I deep trying to tell everyone, it is a REAL 6.5 not some johnny come lately pretender.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

johnty wrote:The Benchrest Rifle
kelbly stolle panda action (its so shiny)
macmillan f-class stock with adjustable cheekpiece and adjustable l.o.p.
also has a accessory rail underneath at the front.
jewel trigger (omg this trigger is so nice, i really think i should have a jewel on every rifle)
lilja 1in8 28" stainless barrel
scope is a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRFCH
Farley BRT benchrest.
That's pretty close to 223 F Class rifle, except a Stiller action, 2 way butt, no rail and a MOA scope. I love shooting it as well.
johnty wrote: The action in epoxied into the stock, so I hope I never need to get the action out for any reason.
I've been told to put it in a freezer overnight and it will tap out the next day.
johnty wrote: The scope is beautiful. I bought it a few years before i even decided what I was going to do with it. Got it from the states for bit less than 800 aussie dollars. At the time it was the most powerful sightron had. Seriously if people have not tried a sightron and want a medium priced scope, I would recommend them highly. On a good background i can see bullet holes at 600m.
I have half a dozen SIII's with MOA reticles and agree with you, serious value for money there. My mate has a 10-50 but i haven't gone that far yet.