New 22Mag (9422M)

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: New 22Mag (9422M)

Post by lowndsie »

Had some fun at the farm. She sure is fun to shoot! Not keen on the trigger though... :D

I was using Hornady's 30gr Vmax load. One pass through on a Rabbit whilst the other one stayed in side. The pill went in a bout an inch and a half on the fox and had fragmented. Couldn't find anything other than tiny bits of shrapnel.

I'll post some pix of some targets a bit later. One note of interest is that after about 30 shots, groups open up hugely! I mean about six times bigger! Run a boresnake through it a couple of times and groups come right back down.
Attachments
MagBunny.jpg
MagFox.jpg
Waldo
.270 Winchester

Post by Waldo »

Nice work, yep it does look like you had some fun. Probably not so much fun for the bunnies and fox!

Cheers,
Waldo
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good show mate, now for fuck sake, please go and get yourself a leather sling, its just not traditional to have one of those poxy cammo jobs on a classic leaver gun. I used to always use Winchester hollow point 40gn ammo in my old one, for foxes I used a lot of their fmj ammo so very little skin damage.
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Camel wrote:Good show mate, now for fuck sake, please go and get yourself a leather sling, its just not traditional to have one of those poxy cammo jobs on a classic leaver gun. I used to always use Winchester hollow point 40gn ammo in my old one, for foxes I used a lot of their fmj ammo so very little skin damage.
Funny you should say that mate! That sling was pissing me off big time. I do have a leather one here somewhere I'll have to dig out. I need to move the scope forward more too. There's too much eye relief on the Leupy and I need to pull my head back to get a clear picture. Keith mentioned some funny looking mounts so I'll start looking into some of those.

I just measured a group I shot with the Winchester 40gr load and they went into .7moa at 50 meters, so I think I'll switch over to them after a bit more testing. Some very old Winchester FMJ loads went into a similar sized group. Someone's written 1976 on the box!!
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

lowndsie wrote: Keith mentioned some funny looking mounts so I'll start looking into some of those.
Millet make some good neat mounts with an extended front ring, probably others do too:
bee+millet.jpg
(25.46 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

lowndsie wrote:
Camel wrote:Good show mate, now for fuck sake, please go and get yourself a leather sling, its just not traditional to have one of those poxy cammo jobs on a classic leaver gun. I used to always use Winchester hollow point 40gn ammo in my old one, for foxes I used a lot of their fmj ammo so very little skin damage.
Funny you should say that mate! That sling was pissing me off big time. I do have a leather one here somewhere I'll have to dig out. I need to move the scope forward more too. There's too much eye relief on the Leupy and I need to pull my head back to get a clear picture. Keith mentioned some funny looking mounts so I'll start looking into some of those.

I just measured a group I shot with the Winchester 40gr load and they went into .7moa at 50 meters, so I think I'll switch over to them after a bit more testing. Some very old Winchester FMJ loads went into a similar sized group. Someone's written 1976 on the box!!
You might want to try the Federal Gameshock Lowndsie. Bit slower, but a heavier 50gn pill. It works okay in my 1894m.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

http://www.dingogunproducts.com.au/13.html

I like these, great quality at a fair price.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

The Raven wrote:
http://www.dingogunproducts.com.au/13.html

I like these, great quality at a fair price.

$2 leather belt from an op shop. That's where all my rifle slings have come from. You have to trawl through some shite to find good ones, but they can be found.

Marcus
Benster84
Favourite Cartridge: .257Wby

Post by Benster84 »

I have one of these I picked up years ago for $100 off a farmer. Of course I didn't question the price and now it sits happily in my safe. I hope you have many years of fun with it :D
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Well I finally got around to doing some more testing with the 9422m. I thought the accuracy was suffering due to a dirty bore after 20-30 or so shots, but it seems it just needs a real good cool down and then the accuracy returns.

I got some old winchester ammo with the rifle which shoots really well except that every 10 or so shots I get a split case and no extraction. I brought some newer stuff of the same variety which is showing promise but I had one failure to extract in about 20 shots the other day. It hasn't happened when using any other brands of ammo yet so I'll keep an eye out.

So far the CCI mag ammo has shot ok and fairly consistent. The standard winchester stuff has probably been the most consistant and is shooting pretty good. The hornady 30gr Vmax ammo has shot the smallest groups but has thrown some shockers into the mix and the rifle absolutely hates the winchester power point load.

I ended up swapping the mounts with a weaver base so I could move the scope further back and Keith sold me an overpriced vx1 2-7 which is well suited.

The trigger is heavy and creepy (sometimes) and I find myself only just getting used to it towards the end of the session, but I'm a light trigger guy which probably doesn't help.

So far I think it'll fill it's intended purpose of being my fox calling gun just nicely.

Targets were shot at 50m
Attachments
Winchester standard
Winchester standard
Not loving the power points
Not loving the power points
Always a flyer! 30gr Vmax
Always a flyer! 30gr Vmax
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

lowndsie wrote:......... The trigger is heavy and creepy (sometimes) and I find myself only just getting used to it towards the end of the session, but I'm a light trigger guy which probably doesn't help............
You might find this interesting......

http://www.homegunsmith.com/archive/T11500.html
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Now you've done it! Another project on the cards... :lol:
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

lowndsie wrote:Now you've done it! Another project on the cards... :lol:
Nothing wrong with a good project!

My lever guns (all 5) have all got very good triggers, except one that I would describe as "okay". I will be working on that later, in a similar manner to the link I posted for you. I find it very satisfying to improve a trigger safely, and then I can't help but smile when I use it....... :hunting:

You'll find it's not very hard, but watch the angles!