Left hand 22s, Anschutz 1416 vs CZ452

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Re: Left hand 22s, Anschutz 1416 vs CZ452

Post by Jacko9 »

223 fanboy wrote:
Jacko9 wrote:is the 1416 stock not very high in cheek weld mate? as you know, I am looking at buying a lefty 22, but don't want something with low cheek weld
I've measured both rifles, from the bottom of the dovetail groove to the top of the comb (where it's closest to the scope).

CZ452 26 mm
Anschutz 1416 28 to 29 mm
Only a few mm difference in the stock, but I've put lower rings on the CZ as well (6 mm lower).

cheers mate! are you able to get down pretty low with the annie? ie would you think there would be problems with the bolt clearance?
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

Jacko9 wrote: are you able to get down pretty low with the annie? ie would you think there would be problems with the bolt clearance?
No problems with bolt clearance on the Anschutz
boltHandles.jpg
The scope diameter on the Anschutz is 57 mm (scope cover and AO scope) and the clearance is 4.5 mm. Plenty of room to go closer.
The scope diameter on the CZ is 47 mm and the clearance is 3.5 mm. The bolt handle is already too close to the scope, so you couldn't go any lower. As it is through, you can get an acceptable cheek weld.
scopeClearance.jpg
Crappy mobile phone photos, but they'll give you a rough idea.
223 fanboy
.223 Remington

Post by 223 fanboy »

chris.tyne wrote:Interesting,bet both rifles would hold groups half that size with ammo that they liked.
A week or so ago I got to the gunshop and picked up some more ammo to try. Could only choose from what they had in stock on the day.
22lr-a.jpg
22lr-c.jpg
Well looks like I can rule out the Velocitors.
The CCI Standards are not bad in the CZ. On price vs performance though, the 555's are close enough (seems like Camel knows what he's talking about with CZ's).
For the Anschutz, it looks like it's a toss up between the 555s and the Federals (in the original post).

Still sitting here waiting to be shot is a box each of SK Standard Plus and SK Rifle Match (ouch! the price :shock:). Just juggling wind and spare time.
JasonF wrote:My left hand 1416 loves Eley Subsonic hollow points.
chris.tyne wrote:I likely sound like a broken record but I have found no need to use hyper or even high velocity ammo in my pea rifles,I have found sk rifle match,Fiocchi something or other,Eley etc in the lower velocity works great,low noise,kills things and is accurate.
I'm not ignoring your advice guys, just trying the faster stuff and the cheap stuff on the to the subs and the better quality stuff.
I'm also putting off trying the better ammo and having to show you all what a crap shot I am :lol:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Some nice groups there. My old mod lives the old blue box winnie subs. Have a box of the new ones to try. It also shoots the stingers quite well for what they are. Not going to win a match but should drop a cat or rabbit etc at 100.
223 fanboy
.223 Remington

Post by 223 fanboy »

stinkitup wrote:Some nice groups there. My old mod lives the old blue box winnie subs. Have a box of the new ones to try. It also shoots the stingers quite well for what they are. Not going to win a match but should drop a cat or rabbit etc at 100.
Thanks stinkitup,

I agree, stingers in the CZ are not bad for mixed bag shooting. Useful for 50m to 70m shots. The POI doesn't shift massively between 50m and 100m. They turn the 22 into a poor man's 22mag.

I'll add the winnie subs to my shopping list.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

These are mine at 100yds from a bipod no rear rest 4x scope.
Hopefully find another subsonic as good. Like I said not benchrest but will sort out critters. For the stingers I was aiming at the bottom of the a4 and the subs the top :lol: Not sure why but old mate put the spotter over all the shot stickers. But there is about 10 under neath the spotters.

I have mine sighted at 50m for subs.
BrnoMod2_100yds_blueboxSubs.jpg
BrnoMod2_100yds_CCIStingers.jpg