Giving some thought to the perfect spolighting rig

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: Giving some thought to the perfect spolighting rig

Post by Con »

Buy a Howa varmint in 204Ruger, lop the barrel to 20" and go at it. Stuff over-complicating things. Something in the upto x14 on top, replace the stock later if you feel the need. Custom actions are nice, but quality barrels, bullets and gunsmiths make for accurate enough varmint rifles. I looked at the Rem700 carbines in 223 with 16.5" barrel, that would fit the bill as well but more $$$. Whilst the barrel is being lopped, throw a muzzle-break on.
Cheers...
Con
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Yes Bruce, zook could well be onto something, it maybe an issue depending on the amount of muzzle flash. I have a couple of mates setup for night vision and both have a screw on attachment that directs the flash in a way that it minimises flaring on the NV scope. It looks a lot like a Russian flash suppressor.

If it became an issue I could give it a go. I know on my 280AI I get a lot of flash but it has never been to much of a problem through the scope. Looks impressive for any observers though.

Con

The Howa would be the sensible option for sure. But this is AV after all :D .

Worth thinking about though

Dr G
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Sensible option preceeds custom build. It's the proof of concept rifle. Besides, I'd probably buy it off you .... this is AV after-all! :lol:

I reckon the 204 is the right cartridge, 21" and #5 contour is about the right barrel weight.
Cheers...
Con
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

B4408 wrote:Dr G,
Thinking of Zook's comment on muzzle blast. Is it important to see your shot hit? If it is will the short barrel result in more muzzle flash at night and be a problem. Don't know the answer for 20 cals, my 243 MLR lever lets out a big flame, interested to hear from those with short barrels.

Bruce
I have a 300SAUM with 20 inch barrel and although it turns the scope orange, but so does my 7mmSTW with a 28 inch barrel, in my circumstances i think it is more to do with the amount of powder than the length of barrel. Having said that the 300 turns the flame a more orange colour and the stw is more gold in colour. This is seen both through the scope and with my left eye. You do not notice it so much during the day. It is a strange sensation when you first get that completely orange view in the scope.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

I don't know about the 204 calibre, but my 223 Tikka 595 which I have used a lot for spotlighting has a 22.5 inch barrel, I find it quite manageable in a vehicle for a single driver spotlighter set up. Having used longer barrelled rifles spotlighting I'm not much of a fan of the longer tubes and much prefer compact rifles. I've used a Thompson contender carbine a lot for spotlighting.

I would think a 20 or 21 inch barrelled rifle would be well worth exploring. I shoot a 308 with an 18.5 inch barrel, occasionally whilst spotlighting, there is a bit of muzzle flash but it's manageable.
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

A faster burning powder might be more suitable for shortened barrels to reduce muzzle flash and velocity loss.
That being said, 2206h is on the quicker side for the 39/40 grain pills and might have enough lee way for slightly shorter barrels.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

How about a 20 prac or 20-222 bit less powder than the 204 use the same pills and will work with the shorter barrel prob better eg may have less fps loss etc due to less powder to burn so more efficient!

Now I thought you had the perfect short action for spotlighting DrG, a martini with a 20' is nice and short mine has a 23' barrel was shocked it was that long when I measured it lol.

Sounds like a good plan though, what clone you thinking? Another stiller?
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Yes I was thinking about another stiller. I may even get the current one modified. My biggest issue is that I can't justify the catkiller being a safe princess, but that said it is a fantastically built rifle. Built by Shane Clancy at his peak, it would be a crime to mess with it.

I hadn't really thought about the martini action. Would it be strong enough for a 20-222 pushing 39-40gn pills. Or would I need to consider the 32gn BK's. I notice on Saubier they reckon they get the 32's up to around 3800fps. Would this be too hot for a martini cadet action?
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

How about a ruger #1 , got a full length barrel on a short rifle and they look cool! I'd get one if they had a synthetic stock , they get knocked about in the ute would be a pity to wreck some nice timber
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

No experience with the Martini here mate, but I think that would be pushing the envelope a little, I only run my 20/222 at 3850 there abouts, not a hot load and can go up another grain, but as I say I don't know about the Martini.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Nothing to do with strength the martini cadet actions are very strong. Extraction is their weak point. I run my 222 rimmed with 40s with 20gr 2207 def not hot. In trying to get 50 vmaxs to stabilise I ran some max loads or even higher just extraction no good.

On my normal loads I have never had a case stick.

I have plans for two 17 Javelina rimmed on martinis once my 358 is built.

If you have an action there give it some thought. Did you have a lead on a good martini smith that does rimless extractors?

Ryan
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Dropped into one of the Gun shops at Neck Nock this morning for some gear for the weekend and they had a martini there in 222 rem, rimless extractor beautiful wood, action all blued up nice....3K :shock: I paid $400 for mine yes not all new blued and no chequering etc but a good stock and shoots under and inch.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Sako L461/A1 standard Barrel length of 23.5" from the bolt face.

As for the chambering well I would go a 17 mach1V/fireball or 20 Vt.

Both give an uninterrupted view of the projectile impact with no muzzle flash ,blast or flip.

Both are inherently accurate cartridges.When coupled with a good barrel fitted by a competent gunsmith and using the right components will perform very well on Cat and fox sized targets.