Rem783 vs MarlinX7VH vs Axis?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Rem783 vs MarlinX7VH vs Axis?

Post by trevort »

Tex, everyone likes a nice ass but no one likes a smart ass. I am trying to reform myself and delete some of the smart ass.

was trying to say dont buy cheap shite but didnt think I could pull it off without sounding like a smart ass

Like the Sporting shooter NEVER did a bad review on a rifle since the advertisers paid their way but even Nick had to say if you squeezed the stock on the Axis you could bend it and shift point of impact.

if you want factory you can go Howa CZ or even better, Tikka :shock: 8)
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by TexNAss »

Thanks Trev- I assumed that's what you were getting at. I figured sooner or later you'd be by and flame me :grin:

Tikka would be nice- but it's over a $1000bare up here.

#Ideally I wanted to say under the $700 for the rifle as I doubt I'll be able to find 5/8th Super Simplex dies- so ill need new 7/8th dies and a new press.#

While I was in Townsville today I did get a chance to swing by and handle the Howa in the .223 (no 22-250's available though). And i was talked out of the Marlin by the dealer.

So its looking like it'll be a Howa in the .223- unless I wanna go shopping down south/interstate.

In either case- it'll give me something to think about this weekend while I throw some 415grains pointed sticks at the ferals.

Thanks everyone,

Tex.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Tex, Super Simplex dies are still available mate, if you are after some for a 223 I can probably sort you out with some as I have a couple of sets. Let me know and we can arrange something for you.

Have you looked at the Zastava M85 223, nice little rifles and really good action. They are priced very competitively as well.
TexNAss
17 Hornet

Post by TexNAss »

.... Skip forward 3months and 15odd days- yeps a bit over quarter a year later- finally got my licence approved (without any issues- who knows how long it would take if there were issues:o) and the PTA arrived a week or so later.

I took Crackers, Brad Y, Mistit, TrevorT advice (huge thanks for the suggestions guys as I hadn't even really considered it!) and went with a plastic stocked Howa. Sorry Camel couldn't stretch coinage to the M85.

I've already swapped the Hogue out for a Walnut stock. Expecting the Leupold DD bases to arrive any day.

In the meantime- the 2 places I've been bow hunting have been sold. So I gotta find a new places to hunt.

Got the 223dies setup in the simplex press- Camel thanks for the offer mate (-really wasn't expecting such a generous offer)- and I've made up a batches of increasing loads- so I am almost ready to rock and roll and find a good load.

Thanks guys- owe you all a beer,

Tex.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Good to hear mate, look forward to seeing your test results when you get to it. Should be pretty good, those Hooers are pretty good for a cheap rifle. value plus in my opinion. There was something in that picture that is wrong, just cant quite put my finger on it. :lol:
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Camel wrote:Good to hear mate, look forward to seeing your test results when you get to it. Should be pretty good, those Hooers are pretty good for a cheap rifle. value plus in my opinion. There was something in that picture that is wrong, just cant quite put my finger on it. :lol:

I reckon the doorknob is way too high.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yeah but it has to be that high or he would have to kneel down to lean an arrow on it like that :P

Good choice. Since you posted I've had a few goes with my son in laws Howa varmint 308 and been really surprised with how accurate it is despite the horrible (unworked) trigger.
TexNAss
17 Hornet

Post by TexNAss »

I stumbled across this while doing research and I assume you've seen this article about touching up the sear/trigger battery engagement points.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439334

My trigger doesn't feel too bad out of the box. Its a tad heavy but fairly clean.

Tex.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Good link Tex.