Which Lever Action to get....

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: Which Lever Action to get....

Post by curan »

Knackers wrote:.......... and 3x 336 Marlins, the third being the XLR and I love it...... :wink:
And that matches just about everything around about the XLR. It's a great bit of gear, it just costs a bit more.
big G wrote:.......... Lost a bit of her shine, Few scratches n ware marks, not as tight as she used to be, but can still kill. Both still going strong.........
Big G, you must have balls like Tarzan to be able to say that stuff about the missus. I wouldn't take that chance on my missus with a 45/70 fully loaded and in my hands!

Either that, or your missus doesn't use a computer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards, curan
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

curan wrote:
Knackers wrote:.......... and 3x 336 Marlins, the third being the XLR and I love it...... :wink:
And that matches just about everything around about the XLR. It's a great bit of gear, it just costs a bit more.
big G wrote:.......... Lost a bit of her shine, Few scratches n ware marks, not as tight as she used to be, but can still kill. Both still going strong.........
Big G, you must have balls like Tarzan to be able to say that stuff about the missus. I wouldn't take that chance on my missus with a 45/70 fully loaded and in my hands!

Either that, or your missus doesn't use a computer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards, curan
No,She doesn't look at this forum.Now face book a differant kettle of fish. :D
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

big G wrote: Reloading the 357mag with AR2205 powder.16 grains under a 158g fnsp chronies around 1600 fps .18.5 under. 125grainer whistles out around 1800 fps.From 0-80yards no pig will tell the difference between a 357 mag 158g compared to 30/30 150g.
Might hold true on small pigs but on the big ones you really can see the difference. Sure Ive had 80kg plus pigs quatering away cartwheel to a stop with one shot from the 357 but Ive also had a few bigger ones take 3 or 4 well placed shots and travel well over 500m.
30/30 with a 160gr at 2200 has almost the same energy at 300 as the 357 does at the muzzle so understandable it performs better.

Tried 180gr in a 44mag I had and they were useless, even on goats they failed to penetrate blowing up on the skin. Only time Ive seen projectiles truly fail, fist size entry wounds no more than 50mm deep. Maybe I was driving them to fast but it convinced me that 240gr were the go in 44mag.
With 240gr it is hard to pick the difference between it and the 30/30 under 100. Agree the steel butt plate can make the 44 unpleasant if it doesn't fit correctly, I find 45/70 more pleasant than the rossi 44 I had.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Good on ya big G just read that to my missus (pretty good stick she is) and she had a good smile, me now I recon it's piss funny.
Ol 55
big G
7mm08 Rem

Post by big G »

Ol 55 wrote:Good on ya big G just read that to my missus (pretty good stick she is) and she had a good smile, me now I recon it's piss funny.
Ol 55
Just told the bride what I said,she just giggled.Then promptly asked me to help unpack the groceries for the weekend.Lifes to short not to fling a bit of shit on each other and have good laugh. :lol: :lol: .I'm still smiling. :D Married a good mate,great cook and,great shot with true christian values.She must have done something terrible in a previous life to end up with me. :D Cheers Big G
Last edited by big G on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big G
7mm08 Rem

Post by big G »

220 wrote:
big G wrote: Reloading the 357mag with AR2205 powder.16 grains under a 158g fnsp chronies around 1600 fps .18.5 under. 125grainer whistles out around 1800 fps.From 0-80yards no pig will tell the difference between a 357 mag 158g compared to 30/30 150g.

I find 45/70 more pleasant than the rossi 44 I had.
I used to chase the mighty samber back in the 80's.1 week trips,song n pray stuff really with some mates from here in Dubbo.F*#k we were optimists .Started with the 30/06,wanted more knock down power after losing a stag.More to do with poor projectile choice(220 gr hornady rn)(don't you 308 blokes bash me yet).Up graded to a 338win mag,loved it.Some how I found a 45/70 marlin in my safe,God told me I needed it. :D Loaded up some Speer 405 grain projectiles with a mid range powder load for the armer plated deer and big hogs for close range shooting.Now to practice shooting the load out of my lever rifle.What a reality check , kicked like a mule,the muzzle rose to the sky with each shot,I had to reposition the rifles on my shoulder befor I could take a follow up shot .Sold the piece of snott to younge bloke that said he enjoyed recoil. 8) Think I made $100 on the sale n didn't have to see the dentist for 6 months .The recoil shook the plaque off all my teeth. :D Win, Win. In my book.Big G
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

My marlin 1895 GS in 45-70 was much more comfortable to shoot than my mates Rossi 44mag. The steel butt plate had a lot to do with it I think. I was running 405gr flat noses with full house loads and didn't find it too bad. As one would expect, it wasn't pleasant on the bench. In saying that, no lever action should go on a bench unless it's for load dev or sighting.

BB
kmsajb
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by kmsajb »

Wow, a lot of info to take on board. Thanks big G!
big G
7mm08 Rem

Post by big G »

Buff Buster wrote:My marlin 1895 GS in 45-70 was much more comfortable to shoot than my mates Rossi 44mag. The steel butt plate had a lot to do with it I think. I was running 405gr flat noses with full house loads and didn't find it too bad. As one would expect, it wasn't pleasant on the bench. In saying that, no lever action should go on a bench unless it's for load dev or sighting.

BB
Two Rossi 44 mag shooters had rubber recoil pads installed on rifles this week at work.Just confirms what you and others have posted BB .
Just bought a marlin 444 last week off Used Guns.Will be using it for pigs mainly,or deer once in a blue moon if I get the urge to shoot a lever action instead of my 270 T3 walking the hills.Came with dies,shells and some hornady 265 flat nose projectile.Maybe just the right balance between the 44mag ,30/30 and 45/70 with knock down power for those 80 plus kilo hogs.Big G
adamtikkam55
Favourite Cartridge: .222

Post by adamtikkam55 »

I may know of a 3030 Winchester mod 94 with scope and peep sights maybe for sale for the right price
3potscreamer
Favourite Cartridge: 223wssm

Post by 3potscreamer »

Has anyone had experience with the browning BLR. Are they any good and worth considering?
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

3potscreamer wrote:Has anyone had experience with the browning BLR. Are they any good and worth considering?
Have used a few MLR, same thing, I guess if you wanted a 7mm or 300mag in a LA then they would be worth looking at.
Never shot them on paper just used for a couple of hunts, did find the action took a bit more effort to work than a conventional LA.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

My two boys and I have a BLR in 308 each great action rotary bolt shoot pretty good
I would recommend one no bench gun but an awesome pig killer
Ol 55
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Which Lever Action to get....

Post by kickinback »

3potscreamer wrote:Has anyone had experience with the browning BLR. Are they any good and worth considering?
I have a BLR in 7mmRM. It shoots well but is heavy and a bitch to clean (like all lever guns I guess)

Edit to add

It is a steel receiver on the magnum, not alloy as on all other cals.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

All ours are steel actions on the 308 older models maybe 80's
Ol 55