Howa 204 and report (with vid)

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Howa 204 and report (with vid)

Post by Camel »

CZ550 wrote:I agree with the good Dr - have been out shooting goats many a time with people with an assortment of cartridges including .270, 7mm mag .308, .30-06 & 8mm mag.

At the end of the day, i feel they all have too much energy for the thin skin & light body of a goat and pass straight through most of the time. Good old .223 and .243 with frangile projectiles are about ideal for the job I think. Look fwd to testing out my .204 on them too when it's finally done!

If my 20/222 is anything to go by, you wont have any troubles at all, its all about shot placement, nothing survives if you put one in the right spot at the right time. :D
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Agree Camel, poor shot placement is the often the reason for armour plated animals existing!

Camel - Did you get some rain out of this most recent event? (Sorry Jackson to hi-jack your thread :oops: ) Rain ranged from nothing to nearly 100mm in SA recently!

Regards,

CZ550
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yeah mate, we got 27mm here in town over 36 hours, varied a bit out of town, but has got things moving along now. Ground still warm enough to get some pasture growth going, and hopefully the rabbits breeding again. Have seen some breeding or signs they are about to start, balls swollen in the males, some females running around playing hard to get. sounds like a Friday night at the pub really. :lol: :twisted:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I shot my best Billy with a Rem 17 and a 25 grn Hollow point.

Biggest pig with a 22 cal 50 grn Nosler Solid base out of a 22/250.

A couple of ute loads of feral Fallow deer with a 222 and 50 gr B/Tips.

Little bullets can kill big things especially when the target is standing quietly unaware.

But I would like to see a comparo done between the ACP 20 cal and a Nosler 40 gr 20 cal.

Or better still between the ACP and Copperhead projectiles..
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

I agree with what some of you are saying, price is a factor with a varminting rifle. What I also see is that with camels 20-222, he isn't stoking it up flat out, so the projectile would perform differently to say, running it in "MISSED"'s 20 PPC. I'd be willing to guess that Mark would be getting much more penetration by running it at the velocities he does, than if "MISSED" was to run it at optimal PPC velocity. So what I am trying to say, is where you have all the stars aligned, the varmint projie would work well, but personally, it never happens that way, and the acp just allows you a little bit more leeway, not going to turn it into a penetration machine, but in spots where the standard offerings are less than ideal, I think this becomes a genuine option. I would of built my 223 into a 20 prac had I of known these were going to be built, as it suits what I do with my rifles better, and the littler ballistic tips, just weren't ideal.
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

Jacko9 wrote:I agree with what some of you are saying, price is a factor with a varminting rifle. What I also see is that with camels 20-222, he isn't stoking it up flat out, so the projectile would perform differently to say, running it in "MISSED"'s 20 PPC. I'd be willing to guess that Mark would be getting much more penetration by running it at the velocities he does, than if "MISSED" was to run it at optimal PPC velocity. So what I am trying to say, is where you have all the stars aligned, the varmint projie would work well, but personally, it never happens that way, and the acp just allows you a little bit more leeway, not going to turn it into a penetration machine, but in spots where the standard offerings are less than ideal, I think this becomes a genuine option. I would of built my 223 into a 20 prac had I of known these were going to be built, as it suits what I do with my rifles better, and the littler ballistic tips, just weren't ideal.
Keep drinking the Kool Aid :roll:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

MISSED wrote:I shot my best Billy with a Rem 17 and a 25 grn Hollow point.

Biggest pig with a 22 cal 50 grn Nosler Solid base out of a 22/250.

A couple of ute loads of feral Fallow deer with a 222 and 50 gr B/Tips.

Little bullets can kill big things especially when the target is standing quietly unaware.

But I would like to see a comparo done between the ACP 20 cal and a Nosler 40 gr 20 cal.

+1 little pills most certainly kill big things if used correctly and at some rather long ranges too! :D
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Jacko9 wrote:I agree with what some of you are saying, price is a factor with a varminting rifle. What I also see is that with camels 20-222, he isn't stoking it up flat out, so the projectile would perform differently to say, running it in "MISSED"'s 20 PPC. I'd be willing to guess that Mark would be getting much more penetration by running it at the velocities he does, than if "MISSED" was to run it at optimal PPC velocity. So what I am trying to say, is where you have all the stars aligned, the varmint projie would work well, but personally, it never happens that way, and the acp just allows you a little bit more leeway, not going to turn it into a penetration machine, but in spots where the standard offerings are less than ideal, I think this becomes a genuine option. I would of built my 223 into a 20 prac had I of known these were going to be built, as it suits what I do with my rifles better, and the littler ballistic tips, just weren't ideal.
Do you own a 20cal?

Glenn
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I like the cool aid reference

That might be your worst post Jacko

If it explodes into little bits as it whacks your skull a 3800 fps you are totally and completely fucked and projectile performance discussions are for internet forums or reference manuals

Again, shot placement
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Fellas, I think you're being a bit rough on old (young) Jackson here!

I think that he was trying to say if you had less than ideal shot placement (you know, buck fever type moments...) then a projectile that offers some more penetration could make a difference between bang flop and a dropping oil pressure and seizing moment.

There is no doubt that if you smash something in the head it is generally rooted - be it 3800 or 4100fps. But if you were using the same rifle on a pig or goat that is running, then some extra penetration ability could make the difference.

I don't care either way, you can never have too much gun in my opinion!

Regards,

CZ550
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

"Think you will be happy with the ACP's mate.
Shot a sow this morning at 9 am on my way to slash my range.
he
Shot her with a 32 grain ACP out of my 204R doing 4020 fps.
Load was 28.7 grains of 2206H @ 58mm.

Nice exit.
I'd say it's "Deer ready"."

Glenn, No I don't own one, I had a 204 in my possession for a while when I tossed up building a 20 cal on the cz I had, and found it lacking a lot more than my 223 did on pigs. I decided a 223 was a better option for me, so I am not totally uneducated on 20's. They have their place, but not in my gun safe currently.

Blokes, I am not trying to force it down your throat. Seeing as you all enjoy a 20 cal, I thought it might be of interest in raising it with you. There is no need to treat me like a fucking idiot because I am bringing projectile information here.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Jacko9 wrote:.........Blokes, I am not trying to force it down your throat, just thought it might be of interest to you, no need to treat me like a fucking idiot here........
Agreed.

Mind you, it's not just the sambar that needs to be thick skinned around here............ :wink:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Looks like the 32gn ACP's work well on the pigs mate - might have to get some and load em up for when I need em. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Jacko!
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

MISSED wrote:

I'd personally like to see some of these Copperhead 20 cal projectiles, and the price of course.

Jacko, I can see your point mate, its great that you took the time to try and spread the news about a new Aussie projectile.
Would I use them ? :homer: Probably if there were more large critters around here that I might stumble upon at night, but as my 20/222 is set up as a fox and cat gun I can't see myself rushing out and getting any in the near future. Price would be the killer for me, they just cant compete with the projectiles that I have. If or when supplies dry up and become very expensive, I would then look at them again.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Camel wrote:
MISSED wrote:

I'd personally like to see some of these Copperhead 20 cal projectiles, and the price of course.

Jacko, I can see your point mate, its great that you took the time to try and spread the news about a new Aussie projectile.
Would I use them ? :homer: Probably if there were more large critters around here that I might stumble upon at night, but as my 20/222 is set up as a fox and cat gun I can't see myself rushing out and getting any in the near future. Price would be the killer for me, they just cant compete with the projectiles that I have. If or when supplies dry up and become very expensive, I would then look at them again.
Exactly mate. I am not trying to say they would replace most peoples standard pill, it just wouldn't be cost efficient for most people. I can see them being handy on occasions though for most people.

A scenario where I do see them being useful, is like this weekend for me, I am going pig hunting, and spotlighting, and I like to use not much bigger than a 223 for under the light, as it just gets offensive. I had the ability to change from the standard 40 grain NBT, to something a bit harder and better suited for a pig, which is what I did, cause I know I won't be pulling the trigger a 1000 times this weekend or anything like that, so I can afford to run a better projie for that. I also know I won't get great shots due to the area copping a bit of hunting pressure, more than likely shooting up their arse to atleast turn them around for a head shot, which the 40 grain 22 cal nbt isn't great for, but a super roo, or 65 grain game king or ttsx is better for. When I go home and am just shooting grasshoppers mostly, I'll probably go back to the 40 grain load or the 55 grain load I have as well.

I think that is where these will carve a niche, not everyone needs 'em or wants 'em, fair enough, but it is good to see more pills around, particularly in the 20 cal offerings, which I honestly thought was pretty limited, clearly doesn't need a lot of pills to perform, but more choice is always good!