Rifle for NT game and armor plated Sambar

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Rifle for NT game and armor plated Sambar

Post by The Raven »

Buff Buster wrote:I'm pretty sure the min cal for sambar is a 500NE. And you will need AT LEAST double that power for a buff.
Get a 950JDJ, it's more ethical than winging them with a 500NE!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

SMEE- BAIT warning!

Nothing there that a 17HMR cant do... they work fine on pigs.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

:mrgreen: 338 Winchester Magnum :mrgreen:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

bimbo wrote:I like your way of thinking Jacko, something a little left of centre - and is seems there are far too many 300win mags on the go on here lately (bunch of sheep if you ask me) :stir: I like the idea of a 338 or 358 - will look into wha tthey have to offer.

Mark I did look in to the zastavas as they seem to get a good wrap and did notice they have them in 9.3x62 and for around the $600-700 I reckon they are hard to beat.

I am not sure it I want a classic safari style rifle or something like a weatherby MK V - I get that tingling feeling when I saw The Gnomes's weatherby :mrgreen:

I had a Zastava 9.3 here for the last few months, not mine, I was doing a bedding job for a bloke in Parkes, I probably should have taken it to the Missathon, but I didn't have any ammo. I did a trigger job for him, not very hard to do them up to a very nice trigger, inlet it and bedded it into a Boyds stock. One thing that struck me was how thin the barrel is with the 9.3 hole down the middle. All in all it was a nice rifle and if I wanted something like that would definitely looking in that direction, especially at the price you can get them for.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Something just seems right about the 9.3x62 in a mauser action in a clasic safari style rifle. Just not sure if it is left of center for me, seems a bit too normal/mainstream :roll: but I do really like it (I shall keep my eye out)
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Hey Bimbo, while I was on the shitter a while ago, I suddenly thought of the answer to your problem, left field, lever gun, certainly different, should knock the crap out of the target species, look around for a 450 marlin. 8)
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Thats where I do my best thinking too Mark.
I have always said that I was missing a lever gun from the safe, might be another option.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Yeah, I just googled it and it seems pretty hard to get bits and pieces here, probably wouldn't be many rifles around, but as its based on a 458win mag, would probably be a good contender for a short actioned magnum build on a bolt action.
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by TexNAss »

Camel wrote: I suddenly thought of the answer to your problem, left field, lever gun, certainly different, should knock the crap out of the target species, look around for a 450 marlin. 8)
##Stares at his boots. Starts bumping small rocks with the toe of 'em.##
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Mmm 458 sounds like fun will have to do some reading.

Good job on the thinking seat :p
Amazing wherr the mind goes while the body is still :/

Ryan
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

460 wby
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Jacko9 wrote:
stinkitup wrote:I have similar plans bimbo, as far as something for bigger game etc. Had always thought a 358 win or 338 fed looked the goods.

Then one night I got an epiphany, I have a 6.5x55AI reamer, why not have it run into a 358 barrel and have the neck done by a neck reamer?? or run the 358 win in to my required length then run my reamer in after to sort out the body as the AI has slightly larger case it looks like it should do the job.

It's a little different to the usual but comparing to other non magnum 358's it easily will better the 358 win and should even sneak past that American favourite the Whelen for velocity, and I am going to sneak it into a stevens short action :shock: .

That new 8208 looks the goods too and may propel the 200 past 2600 or more which sounds pretty good :twisted:

Hopefully get it screwed together next year.

Ryan

I get a 200 grain monolithic projectile at 3250 fps from the muzzle roughly. Bimbo if you like, pm me, and I'm happy to give you my number and I can tell you the bloke who builds these rifles etc, at pretty good prices too.

300 wm's are as common on here as 9.3x62's are as common on AHN, go something oddball, go a 338 win mag, 340 wby, or 358 Norma mag mate, you won't regret any of them....
Yes thats moving jacko

I figure 2800 from a non mag will nock anything in aussie land well and truly.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

stinkitup wrote:
Jacko9 wrote:
stinkitup wrote:I have similar plans bimbo, as far as something for bigger game etc. Had always thought a 358 win or 338 fed looked the goods.

Then one night I got an epiphany, I have a 6.5x55AI reamer, why not have it run into a 358 barrel and have the neck done by a neck reamer?? or run the 358 win in to my required length then run my reamer in after to sort out the body as the AI has slightly larger case it looks like it should do the job.

It's a little different to the usual but comparing to other non magnum 358's it easily will better the 358 win and should even sneak past that American favourite the Whelen for velocity, and I am going to sneak it into a stevens short action :shock: .

That new 8208 looks the goods too and may propel the 200 past 2600 or more which sounds pretty good :twisted:

Hopefully get it screwed together next year.

Ryan

I get a 200 grain monolithic projectile at 3250 fps from the muzzle roughly. Bimbo if you like, pm me, and I'm happy to give you my number and I can tell you the bloke who builds these rifles etc, at pretty good prices too.

300 wm's are as common on here as 9.3x62's are as common on AHN, go something oddball, go a 338 win mag, 340 wby, or 358 Norma mag mate, you won't regret any of them....
Yes thats moving jacko

I figure 2800 from a non mag will nock anything in aussie land well and truly.
Mine is more for splat factor on pigs really, and flat shooting with an aimpoint, if i wanted something efficient, I would of build myself a 338-06 with a z3 3-9x36 on top, but I'm too young to be sensible. :lol:

Stinkitup, especially in your case on a short action, another 35 worth considering is the 35-284. It just betters the 35 wheelan, but in a short action....
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Haven't seen the 35-284 but my 35 swede AI will pip the whelen so will be almost Identical except the swede is a shorter case and in the AI config should outrun the whelen 8)

How doe those hydrostatic pills go Jacko? I have seen people using them, are you shooting the woodleighs?

Ryan
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »