What are you all building?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

What are you all building?

Post by kickinback »

Thank you Jason
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: What are you all building?

Post by chris.tyne »

I have a custom pea rifle being screwed together by Mr Gordon Eck,new Turbo action,Mueller works barrel,Jewel trigger etc,then bedded into a TMBR stock by Mr Tom Meredith.
I have a switch barrel based on a Chromo Bat SV action,Jewel trigger,Timber thumbhole stock,Brux 1:8 6mmBRX,1:9tw,.20Beggs,1:12tw.22BR.
Next is a LV,6ppc,TMBR stock,Jewel trigger,Stainless Bat SV,Bartelin 1:15 to 1:14.25tw,.
Next is a 17LB LR bench rifle,Laminated Clinch river stock,Stiller Python action,Jewel trigger,Maddco 1:8tw,6.5x55improved.
Nother one,Panda RBLPRE ,Speedy BRX stock,Jewel trigger,30BR..........................................................................................................................................I think thats all for now,might do me for a little while..........

Ahhh then there is a Stiller Cobra,that can wait for a bit longer though.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

What am I building? Well, unlike some of our more experienced members I've yet to build anything. However, I'm starting small with tinkering.

My current tinkering project involves learning how to refinish a stock. Rather than start with a good rifle I purchased some old stock pieces from ebay. This will allow me to either burn or bury my mistakes without stuffing up an otherwise serviceable firearm.

So far a few mistakes have been made which has allowed me to practice stripping and sanding... As of last week, or was it the week before, the old Stevens butt stock has been finished (pics will follow soon). Not bad for a first attempt.

I'm now encouraged/confident enough to try refinishing the stock for my old Sportco. Luckily the stock has minimal checkering so it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I'll try to take pics throughout the process so you can see the 'before and after'....and comment on my progress.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

JasonF wrote:Pierce actions are imported by Phoenix Sports Trading in Qld
http://phoenixsportstrading.com/store/page14.html
Well Phoenix does import them into the country, but they have problems getting them at times.

Seems the current order (with my Ti action in it) has been held up in the US by some bloke who wanted a shorter rail for his Pierce action. :roll:
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

adamjp wrote:Seems the current order (with my Ti action in it) has been held up in the US by some bloke who wanted a shorter rail for his Pierce action. :roll:
I wish I never confessed to that.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

JasonF wrote:6BR "target rifle that I can shoot varmints with" - Pierce single shot, McMillan Hunter Class Benchrest stock, Lilja 3 groove barrel, Jewell trigger, Sightron SIII MOA 6-24 scope

Need to tune up a lightweight 7RM with a new barrel and a brake
Just ordered and paid for the Lilja barrels for the 6BR and 7RM. You guys are a very bad influence.
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

I'm looking to re brl my Kimber to 20 vartarg.
Shilen brl 1/10 twist finished about 23-24".

Have also just finished (if this counts) my 20/250
Stiller tac 30, Lila 1/9 HV 23", rifle basix trg set at 2lb, Dbm and adi mag.
Wilddog varmint stock, kahles 6-24x56 letup old mounts on stiller 0moa rail. Weighs in at 6kilos.
Still working up loads so is still a work in progress.
Early indications are very promising with Moa or less easily obtainable out to 400m.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Teepee wrote:I'm looking to re brl my Kimber to 20 vartarg.
Shilen brl 1/10 twist finished about 23-24".

Have also just finished (if this counts) my 20/250
Stiller tac 30, Lila 1/9 HV 23", rifle basix trg set at 2lb, Dbm and adi mag.
Wilddog varmint stock, kahles 6-24x56 letup old mounts on stiller 0moa rail. Weighs in at 6kilos.
Still working up loads so is still a work in progress.
Early indications are very promising with Moa or less easily obtainable out to 400m.
Well you have been holding out Teepee!
A 20 VarTarg and a big 20 as well!

Glenn
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

The Kimber started life as a 204 but I wasn't happy with it
Long story short - it's now rechambered to 20 practical
But you guessed it, its still not what I have been hoping for ie. a rifle with minimal recoil that you can see where the bullet hits through the scope.
So after reading various forums it's now going in to get a new brl and to be made into the 20 vartarg.
Will be interesting to see if this works.
Teepee
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

You cant see hits through the scope on a 20 prac? I had no issue. Its the perfect cal for it. Unless yours is a light hunting model rifle. I had a tikka LSA 55 with a varmint profile barrel and pretty much standard walnut stock and it was great for watching foxes go splat and seeing rabbits thrown up onto fence wires. Just as easy to spot hits with as a 17 fireball. The only thing I found easier is a 22 with subs.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

The new barrel will help mate!

The 20 VarTarg is am nice round!

Missed was shooting his out a ways on the weekend.

Glenn
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Well I think its a little "Different" but I'm building a 358 Improved Swede ....... :shock: What the hell is that they ask :D

I have a 6.5x55AI reamer, a stevens action and a MAB 358 win barrel, yes I know would be easier to just go 358 win but I have plenty of 6.5x55 brass from my old swede and for the new Savage target action in 6.5x55AI. Plus swede brass is pretty cheap and comparable to 308.

Thanks to Con for sending me some quickload data it should sling the 200 and 250's a bit maybe 100 fps faster than the 35 Whelen. And still just fit in the short action mag. Barrel will be kept short around 20 inch I would say.

Just need a 308 bolt head and magazine to replace the 223 ones and I'll be sending it all somewhere. Then I'll need a decent stock as the stevens is a POS!

Should be fun when finished 8)
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Well I will say that is a little different, but it would be quite practical, as you will need a new magazine, are you going to get a longer one say 3006 for more room, or go with a 308 size. You will definitely have to put up some photos of the progress.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Ive made a bit of progress on "the ultimate" rifle, found a Zastava m70 action at around 100.00 below normal retail and grabbed it, done some digging and have decided on the stock for it from Richards Microfit, followed a link that Gnome put up and sorta, kinda decided on the brake, calibre/cartridge is going to be 300Winmag, barrel is supposed to be on the way, Mcgowen 1 - 12 twist Rem varmint profile finished at 26 inches. Now its just a matter of getting all the other bits that seem to be forgotten till the last minute, dies, brass, projectiles, mounts, scope. It will probably only be used once or twice a year for shooting long range gongs.

Being that the barrel is 1 in 12 I probably wont be going over around 160 to 180 gn projectiles, no idea how anything heavier would stabalise

Thanks for the offer of the 300H&H reamer Adam, but no thanks. Will go with the 300Win as its easier to obtain brass and dies, probably be cheaper as well.

As I said in one of my other posts, Gnome and Glenn have a lot to answer for. :lol: :lol: But I do have to thank them both for stoking the fire of long range shooting.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

Sounds good Camel! I'm thinking about one of them brakes too, for the 308 simply because they look cool ha ha

Once I get to the NT and my pay rise comes through I'm going to start my first build. Not sure what it's going to be yet, but I would think it's going to be a big round making 338 projies move fast.....

hmmm there is so many decisions and possibilities

BB