Martini action - what to do?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Martini action - what to do?

Post by 220 »

joelomunro wrote:If anyone with a .357 rifle wouldnt mind giving me some indication of their usefulness on game that would also be much appreciated.
I have a marlin 357 that doesn't see a lot of use nowdays, no fault of the rifle or cartridge.
Used to be my ute gun on the farm, used it on everything from rabbits to pigs. I found a reduced load with light lead projectiles that shot point of aim at 25m when sighted in for 75m with the factory loads I was useing. Used the reloads on rabbits with good effect, little bit of damage but the dogs never complained. Used it to take goats and pigs regularly, results on pigs were varried, dropped some up to 80kg on the run with one shot and others took a couple of rounds. Remember one that would of been around the 130kg mark that I put 4 shots into at less than 70m and he went another 400m. First shot was in the shoulder, next behind the shoulder, third at the back of the ribcage through the liver and last shot in the guts. Found him next day dead in a cave at the top of a hill about 400m from where I'ld shot him.
I'ld have to say it is very marginal on big pigs, on smaller stuff under 60kgs at 75m or less it is fairly reliable. Same on goats.
I haven't used 110-125gr loads but they should flatten the trejectory enough to make a reliable 125m fox gun. I don't have any trouble head shooting rabbits out to 75m or so with 158gr loads. Damage is similar to 22 centrefire on rabbits.
Mine will cloverleaf 158gr jacketed loads all day at 50m and keep lead semi wadcutters under 50mm at the same distance.

If you reload using cast projectiles you can shoot it for similar cost to a 22lr.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

After reading that 220, I think I want one now. :wink:
joelomunro
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by joelomunro »

Same here, might be time for a few emails to the gunsmith in my area.
Gunnie
Favourite Cartridge: 257RobertsAI

Post by Gunnie »

Mate, there is nothing wrong with liking the Martini rifles. I have four in the safe; two are original 310Cadets and the others are a custom 17AH and a half finished project of a K-Hornet. I did own a 222Rimmed years ago but the availability of cases killed that rifle off. Kicking myself for selling it now.
As those here have said, there are a number of options. The 357Mag makes for a handy walkabout close range rig and as long as you use the right pill will do most of what you want, within reason of course.
If you can track down a Snapps Rimless extractor then you can look at a 22Rem. I know of one shooter in NSW with one he made up and it is a sub-half MOA @ 200M rifle. Should have bought it when he offered it to me for $600 :? :evil:
It will all depend on what calibre you desire and how much fiddling you want to go to in making cases if it's a wildcat. Keep us in the loop as you go with this project. Am curious to see how it works out.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Headed up to the hunting fair at Cessnock last weekend. There was a an absolutley beautiful martini there, chambered in 6.5 whisper ( I believe a 221 Fireball necked up to 6.5). He had rechambered a mauser barrel for her, was quite short probably around 20" and had also machined dovetail into the barrel for scope mounts. Timber was beautiful, but at $1600 a little out of my league and would prob never leave the safe.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

nobody mentioned the 357 maximum ???
you could use 357 & 38 special in it also . being a single shot you could use pointed bullets in it as well for longer range shots on medium game .
i was going to do this awhile back after chatting to a gunsmith in the USA . that was his favorite light brush rifle . he said to make sure to bush the firing pin & there's minor mods to the top of the breech block that need to be done with the use of the longer pointed bullets in the maximum . also he's done builds in 256 win , 3030, 3230, 3530 , 30 herret , 35 herret . although some say the barrel shank is to thin for full power loads he's never had a problem .
i really love those little light rifles & i will do a custom build on one someday & probably in 357 maximum or something based on the 3030 case . i also know a martini mad guy who rechambers std 310 barrels to 3230 & loads them to the hilter & never had a problem . he used them as his red deer rifles with open sights & swears by that rifle & rechamber job ???? to me I'd at leased put a new barrel in it my self . i actually bought some 3030 improved dies
after talking to that bloke with the intention of loading the 3030 with pointed 150gr pointed bullets @ around 2600 fps . that makes it on par with the 303 with 150's but using cheaper cases & more readably available projectiles . hell you could use that tiny little rifle to bag anything in the wide brown land of ours with the right bullet . it would start to kick abit in that chambering though :mrgreen: .
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

Gday fellas, first time Ive been back here in a while, good to see the martini freaks amongst us are keeping this thread alive. I think Ive got a plan for the old girl at the moment, where I might see if I can get the barrel recrowned and remove the bit of damaged rifling and piss the front sight off. Ill see if I can get her to shoot withe 40gn Tapians or the like...Ryan, you tried those pills yet???? As for scope mounting, well mine was drilled and tapped for a side mount which I dont overly like, so Id intended to make my own aluminium mount to use the side mount holes and centre the scope over the bore. Ive got a piece of aluminium angle that is about 5 or 6mm thick, so it should be rugged enough, and Ill shape it to fit the action and leave an opening for loading, and fit a Weaver rail to the top for scope mounting, thats the theory anyways. Im also shaping a new stock from some Sily Oak that the old man had milled and drying for the last few yrs so Ill see how my fist attempt at stock making goes too. Just dont hold ya breath boys, Ill be overseas until the middle of November, then Ill get back into it.

Joel
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Hey Joel

How's Canada going?

No sorry I haven't tried the taipans yet :( I have tried some 40HP sierra's which are okay but so far 40nosler BT's and the little 35 hornday's have proved the best in small tests so will be doing some more hopefully.
Ryan
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

Yeah mate Canada has been good, had the day off today due to a small late snowfall, but other than that, been working like a dog, 12 hour days are the norm. Ill have to try some 40gn Noslers too someday....someday too far away that is, I could have really used either one of my .222s the other day as I was chasing some crows with the boss' .22Mag but the cheeky bastards were staying out of range and the one shot I got at one was pretty wind effected and I hit the branch beside it. Been spending a lot of time lately driving one of the tractors with a rockpicker on and we'd started seeing until we got shut down by the weather. Anyways catch yas round fellas

Joel
Attachments
New airseeder
New airseeder
John Deere and rockpicker
John Deere and rockpicker
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

If anyone is interested Elks firearms have a martini cadet with scope in 357 mag for sale , asking $1195. Also i met a gunsmith by the name of George Georgesky ( i hope thats spelt right ) Anyways he is in Sydney area and he is the martini Gooroo. Ive seen some of his custom work and it is BEAUTIFUL ! He showed me a true take down switch barrel martini cadet with AAA grade walnut stock, it made my jaw drop as the join was seemless. Ive recently sold my bruno hornet , just so i can get one of Georges creations. Cheers Ron
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yes, I've seen his creations at the Penrith Gun Show. Truly remarkable works of art, no way you could call his Martini's "clunkers". The 6.5 Whisper, mentioned earlier in this thread, is interesting as it takes down into a very small package and would handle goats, pigs and most species of deer. An ideal outfit for a retiree touring the country and wanting to have the odd hunt from time to time.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Ron Goulding wrote:If anyone is interested Elks firearms have a martini cadet with scope in 357 mag for sale , asking $1195.
Dreaming! Probably why its been there so long. :P
Cheers...
Con
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

If you want take out the barrel, trim the first few inches off. Then shorten the chamber end it convert it to 221 fireball-rimmed.

The 222 rimmed cases would convert quite nicely with a little bit of case forming, and trimming.

The 221 FB runs nicely with 40 and 45 grainers. 50's are a pushing it in slow twist rifles.

The 221 FB is my next Martini project.

Chrispy
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Hi Joel

Looks like your having fun over there, hopefully not working too hard over winter :lol: Those tractors better have a good heater. I have a box of nosler 40's here which the brother didn't want to burn out his 22/250 barrel :) MY Martini seems to like them a lot. I'll send some your way when your home.

That 6.5 Whisper was bloody nice! Didn't realise that it was even a take down, the timber on it was gorgeous.

What does the fireball spit 40's out at? There isn't much between the 222 and fireball really is there? Or is the fireball a standard rimmed cartridge?

Ryan
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

Hey Ryan, winters over now mate.... tho you wouldnt have known that yesterday, we had some light snow on the ground yesterday morning but it melted through the day. I did some tractor work through winter tho when its -35 outside the heater never quite cuts it, I wore coveralls all the time even while in the tractor snow clearing. Ill be keen to give those noslers a try alright, thanks for that. As for a .221 FB Rimmed, I dont know what Id gain out of that, and Ive only got a Super Simplex press so its not the best for forming brass anyhow. Well Im buggered, was up at another farm block nuking gophers today, unfortunately not with a rifle but with mustard gas pills, so that was a long enough day.

Joel