17 HMR?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Azza

17 HMR?

Post by Azza »

Hi I am looking at buying a 17 HMR as it would soot me because I want a rifle that is pretty cheap to run is quiet and will tag rabbets and foxes out to 200 meters. What ammo would you recommend and what guns would you recommend? Are cz's still one of the best? I also should mention that I prefer brand new guns :)
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: 17 HMR?

Post by andrewk »

200m? cheap to run? effective on foxes? forget it.

start with any small cal centerfire. 22 hornet, 17 hornet, 17 mach IV/fireball, any 20 cal or 222/223.

if you want cheap on rabbits use a 22lr.
BIG E
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by BIG E »

yep gotta agree with andrewk on that 1 go for centre fire for foxes and 22 for bunnies ya will enjoy ya shootn more
Azza

Post by Azza »

I now what you mean but I want the HMR mainly for bunnies and foxes in areas were the owner of the property doesn't want you to use a gun that is that powerful and loud. We are close to buying a 204 ruger or 17 rem fireball for our main fox caliber :) check out this thread.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Foxes and the HMR just dont go together. The little 17gr plastic tip bullets seem to splash, and the 20gr dimple tips zing right through. Believe the people on here as most went through the HMR phase and yes its a great bunny gun, but foxes are a bit tougher than the ol rabbit. You already have a 22lr, which will be fine on rabbits to 80m. The HMR is good to 100m then the little pills will blow around big time and they drop pretty quick too. Plus for the price you pay to run them, you can reload a small centrefire like the 17 fireball quite easily. The HMR is loud enough for you to need hearing protection so if your going that loud then the 17FB isnt really all that much more.

The Americans really know how to hype up a calibre- that link is quite old (when the Hummer was big news). Sure its a neat cal but for what your wanting to do it wont do it. Your hornet idea was much better although I think you will struggle with it to 200m as well.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Azza wrote:I now what you mean but I want the HMR mainly for bunnies and foxes in areas were the owner of the property doesn't want you to use a gun that is that powerful and loud. We are close to buying a 204 ruger or 17 rem fireball for our main fox caliber :) check out this thread.
Unless you shoot somewhere with no wind, forget 200m for a HMR. Also forget it as an effective fox calibre, and forget about it being cheap to run too.

I have an Annie 1517DHB, and it's a brilliant 150m rabbit gun in good conditions, but I'd never take it out in high winds and never if I was specifically after foxes. A .22 Hornet is much better suited for the use you describe, and if you reload, probably the same cost to run.

A small cased 17 or 20cal would be equally good and then you have a 300m+ gun depending on how good you are. :wink:
Azza

Post by Azza »

Thanks for the honest reply's :wink:
sounds like the 22 hornet and 22WMR are the way to go.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

i have a 17fireball for sale, shoot 25gr vmax's well and not too loud... not compared to a 204.

problem with built up areas is noise but if your doing the right thing and you attract unwanted attention, show em your paper work and permission to shoot and assure them your acting safely and responsibly. they should go away. if not, pack up and go see your property owner.
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Post by louie the fly »

Azza if you want a good fox/rabbit gun out to 200m you should give some thought to Andrewk Rem. Nice looking rifle, and it will be in mint condition.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Like Jeffk I have a Annie 17HMR.Whilst I enjoy the rifle the cartridge leaves me cold.When conditions are good it is a great round to use and pretty much is a point and shoot to 120m on bunnies.But a fox round it is not.
My rifle is incredibly cheap to run as I rarely use it and in fact I swapped it with my missus and she is still paying it of 8)
Tez
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by Tez »

I don't want to go off the main thread, but, I figured this post could help Azza.

How many of you blokes own Marlin, Savage, Steven, CZ & Rugers 17HMR's(or 22WMR. New models or models that can be had NEW). And how does the cheaper Marlin & Savage rate accuracy wise, quality(any plastic bits), trigger(any creep) etc. Or is it better to dip into ones pocket$ a little deeper & get a CZ or Ruger(Will there really be any difference on the target or function)?
The reason I ask this is, the Marlins go for around $375-$520. That to me is a bargain basement deal for a 100% US made rimfire. And it does also seem Azza is a young fella starting out in the game. Hence the question :D
fenring

Post by fenring »

HMR not a fox round?

I must have been shooting little baby ones then, as I've yet to have one run more than a few steps even with a shot in the chest.

Shots in the brain just see them drop on the spot.

Certainly, it's not an ideal fox round any more than the .22LR or .22 Mag are. And nor was it designed to be. A small centefire is the go as a dedicated fox gun. But the HMR will kill 'em with well paced shots at sensible ranges.

It is however not a 200m round for anything really,though it can be done the little pill is out of puff at that range. I'd expect even a rabbit hit in the chest to crawl off with a shot at 200m.

Out to 150m however it works and the little Vmax pills are very damaging on bunnies out to over 100m where they still explode and fragment.

As for the dear to run bit, well I got a brick off CCI Vmax last march for about $207 and still have a few boxes left. So over a year I guess I've shot $120 worth of HMR ammo off at rabbits, hares, foxes and cats. (less than the cost of two tanks of fuel, really) And much of those hundreds of bunnies have gone as free dog tucker.

So it's not dear to run unless you waste ammo on targets, cans and the like.

As for the rifles, the Marlins can shoot OK but from the ones I've seen and used quality can be a bit patchy and the trigger is bad. The Savages are IMO a notch or two better and the Accutrigger is far better than the POS trigger on the Marlin. Lots of options with both as to type of stock and material and finish. The CZ American and Varmint are great value and shoot pretty good more often than not. The Rugers are strong, have a great safety and about the best mag in the biz but the trigger is bad and they are a little expensive. Accuracy can be a bit hit an miss thanks to the way the barrel is mated to the action but they are easily worked on - both bedding and trigger. Anschutz - they have an enviable reputation for accuracy and quality, as long as you like timber and blued steel.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

i'm glad you didn't post that pig fen :P

anyway that's a pretty good summary of the hmr. it is devastating on bunnies and hares, shot placement is everything on foxes.

with the ammo i've bought a brick of the cci 17gr vmax ammo aswell and lately i've had the icepick effect on a few neck and rib shot bunnies. they die on the spot but leaves me wondering and i'm thinking if its that the copper jackets have hardened or something? they do get left/lost/found in the car from time to time.

head shots are spectacular and the bullet works to full effect. probably since its a harder part of the rabbit.

the 20gr hollows icepick everything :?
fenring

Post by fenring »

andrewk wrote:i'm glad you didn't post that pig fen :P
:lol:

I considered it....
andrewk wrote: the 20gr hollows icepick everything :?
Except pigs. :mrgreen:
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

fenring wrote:
andrewk wrote: the 20gr hollows icepick everything :?
Except pigs. :mrgreen:
yeah, plenty of pork behind it to stop the projectile :lol: