miroku MLR ?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
tikka223

miroku MLR ?

Post by tikka223 »

i have been quite happy hunting with my .223 but have missed a few hunting opportunities due to not having a caliber large enough, so i have decided i want a bigger gun.
i am going for a week for pigs out west during easter and hope to buy one before then. The miroku mlr .308 on used guns has cought my eye. The 308 will handle pigs easy and the lever action will allow for quick follow up shots. The reason i like the mlr over a 30-30 is that i can reload with spitzer and balistic tipped projectiles which allow a greater range of projectiles and greater accuracy. i am just starting into the deer hunting scene and have acces to a couple of propertys with fallow and red on them but have yet to take one due to having a .223.
has anyone had any experience with a mlr? what were your thoughts?
cheers
tikka
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: miroku MLR ?

Post by 220 »

Have only used a MLR once and that was in 243, worked reliably enough and was accurate enough for what it was used for.
Hornady have made their Flex-tip projectiles available to handloaders so all is not lost if you wanted to use a ballistic tip style projectile in a 30.30 makes the old 30-30 useful to 200m. Still not in the same class as a 308 but closes the gap between them a bit.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

The MLR was the cheaper version of the BLR when there were two importers to Australia. They are lovely rifles but can be a bit loud with their short barrels (20"). Whatever you do ... don't lose the magazine.
Cheers...
Con
jindydiver
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by jindydiver »

I have one in 7mm08 and it works fine.
tikka223

Post by tikka223 »

thankyou
jindydiver, do you think the 308 mlr is worth $800 in good condition?
cheers
tikka
jindydiver
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by jindydiver »

In good nick with mounts and a scope I could see myself paying that.
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

I love my BLR in 308, have shot hundreds of pigs with it, light to walk with, easy to swing in tight places and far better than any 30/30 you will find.

Dad paid $800 for mine some 18 years ago in good nic, I saw the one on used guns and was tempted.

Brett
sambar5

Post by sambar5 »

Brett33 wrote:I love my BLR in 308, have shot hundreds of pigs with it, light to walk with, easy to swing in tight places and far better than any 30/30 you will find.

Dad paid $800 for mine some 18 years ago in good nic, I saw the one on used guns and was tempted.

Brett
I had a MLR in 243 many years ago, shot like a dream never had a problem with it until someone else decided they wanted it more than me and it was stolen along with my Mini 14, model 320 Win 22 and a couple of others. would buy another in a flash. I was told it could'nt be used in Lever action competitions as when the action is closed the bolt twists and locks like a bolt action this apparently gives it an unfair advantage in accuracy over a conventional lever action. don't know if thats true but mine was pretty accurate, from memory it usually hit what I aimed it at.
Gunnie
Favourite Cartridge: 257RobertsAI

Post by Gunnie »

Add my +1 to buying a BLR/MLR. I have the Miroku MLR in 308W. Bought it a couple of years ago for $700. It needed a bit of TLC (new recoil pad) and has been carried more than shot. I use 150gn SP over a mild load of AR2206 and find it a good outfit.
Being one of the earlier models my rifle has the bolt locking up into the steel frame receiver. The later models are different in the the bolt head locks up into the barrel. Horses for courses, but I prefer the steel frame model.

The only downside I have heard is the triggers. They can be heavy and creepy and are fiddly to adjust well. Thankfully mine is OK though a tad heavy at just over 4lb. But it breaks clean so I'm happy with that. Good luck with it.
Cammo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .17 Hornet

Post by Cammo »

Hi Tikka 223

In Guns & Game July-Sept 2009 Matt Dwyer gives the Browning BLR a good review and wrap. An advantage listed in the box magazine that allows the use of pointed ammo. Same would apply to the Miroku MLR.

A good read.

Regards
Sako Sam
Favourite Cartridge: 20 Tactical

Post by Sako Sam »

Mate if u buy it u'll love it
I have a BLR in 308, and so have my brother and old man. another mate has the MLR in 243 and he has shot plenty of pigs and a few fallow with it. like Con said though make sure u don't loose the magazine as they are near impossible to find and the BLR ones don't fit

for the 308 when we chase pigs we just pull the FMJ progectile out of a military round and reload it with a 130gn Speer HP or 125gn Sierra SP. shoots well enough to hit any pig u want in the guts and if ur on a quad or motorbike its great not having to worry about picking up the cases
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Sako Sam makes a good point the big advantage with the BLR is the mags are available from brownells, not cheap. put a good quality 3-9 on it and you will not regret having one in your safe but don't expect one hole groups as the barrel heats up pretty quick and has a barrel band that doesn't help.