Semi/Custom HUNTING rifles

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
aim2please

Semi/Custom HUNTING rifles

Post by aim2please »

Hey guys, my dad is wanting a new rifle for taking pigs and goats. I know this is predominately a varminting site, but does anyone on here have a semi or fully custom hunting rifle for medium game? Is it even worth going semi custom for a hunting rig? Or would he be better off with a stock remmy, wetherby, savage etc?

If he does go down the custom route, he will more then likely be going a 700 action in either 243 or 308.

Also is there any after market stocks out there that aren't for varminting/target, other then wild dog? Most stocks i've seen don't look too comfortable to walk around with in the hand all day.

Anyone have any pics of custom hunting rifles?

NOTE: I'm not saying that varminting isn't hunting, I'm just looking for a walk around medium game gun.
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Re: Semi/Custom HUNTING rifles

Post by Thomo »

Heaps of options out there mate, a remmy would be a good start then something like a Bell and Carlson ultralight stock, shorten the 308 brl down to about 20" talley ultra light rings and a modest scope like a 2-7x33 your old boy will have a "semi custom" light weight hunting rifle, if he gets bored later on he can sell all the bits off and keep the action and make himself a long range rig.

You can do it on the cheap with all sorts of things, ex mill 6.5, shorten and re crown, new stock, and you have a cheap and workable rifle.

I built my 416 on a Parker Hale action, just got it cleaned up a bit, new stock,brl and its away as a semi custom.
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

Thanks Thomo, i'll let him know all his options and what not, at the end of the day it's his call on what he wants, im just here for guidance :lol: :lol:
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

There are loads of options for hunting rifles, especially based on the Rem 700. Here is my blueprint which is waiting its turn at Shane Clancy's at the moment:

Rem 700 Left Hand Short Action, trued and lapped, bolt sleeved
Campfire bolt knob by Karl Kampfield
Callahan lightweight firing pin
Tubb stainless recoil lug
Lilja 1 in 10" stainless barrel, Remington sporter contour, 24"
McMillan Hunter's Edge graphite stock, bedded with pillars, 1/2" decelerator pad
ADL blind magazine with Remington steel triggerguard
Talley Lightweight alloy mounts

It will weigh just on 3.2kg with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold on top.

You could probably make do with a factory rifle, but why would you?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

JasonF wrote:You could probably make do with a factory rifle, but why would you?
I can think of one reason....................................................available funds aka budget, :) :) ,but I do agree with you but a lot of people cant see the value in spending money on accurizing,personalizing,specing a rifle the way you want it.............................
.....................................till they use one that is :wink: :wink: :) .

Regards Chris.
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

JasonF wrote:There are loads of options for hunting rifles, especially based on the Rem 700. Here is my blueprint which is waiting its turn at Shane Clancy's at the moment:

Rem 700 Left Hand Short Action, trued and lapped, bolt sleeved
Campfire bolt knob by Karl Kampfield
Callahan lightweight firing pin
Tubb stainless recoil lug
Lilja 1 in 10" stainless barrel, Remington sporter contour, 24"
McMillan Hunter's Edge graphite stock, bedded with pillars, 1/2" decelerator pad
ADL blind magazine with Remington steel triggerguard
Talley Lightweight alloy mounts

It will weigh just on 3.2kg with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold on top.

You could probably make do with a factory rifle, but why would you?
Sounds like a nice set up there! What's it going to be chambered in?

What would be the total cost, including gun smithing, if you don't mind telling?
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

aim2please wrote:Sounds like a nice set up there! What's it going to be chambered in?

What would be the total cost, including gun smithing, if you don't mind telling?
Sorry forgot that critical detail. It will be a 7mm-08.

I honestly don't know the total cost sorry - I have assembling parts for more than 18 months and have paid for them as I could afford them. The rifle is my 40th birthday present to myself.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

here's my first semi custom build. they don't have to cost big $$$

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9617
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

I won't be building this until i finish school at least but i can start looking around for a action :D
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

aim2please wrote:I won't be building this until i finish school at least but i can start looking around for a action :D
Buying bits over time is the way to go - for most of us ! You might have to buy a complete rifle with a shot out barrel as andrewk did. Or you might find an action for sale that's just right for what you want. The searching is part of the adventure - just don't get sidetracked by too many other bargains along the way.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Here ya go .. just buy this

http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewt ... bf76542692

Light weight, great calibre for pigs & goats, all load data, reloading gear, brass, bullets ... I will even change the scope to a Leupold Vari X III 6.5-20 if the Vortex is not what you like.
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

Rinso wrote:Here ya go .. just buy this

http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewt ... bf76542692

Light weight, great calibre for pigs & goats, all load data, reloading gear, brass, bullets ... I will even change the scope to a Leupold Vari X III 6.5-20 if the Vortex is not what you like.
If i only had the money atm rinso.. :( :(