New rifle break-in procedure...

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
sim

New rifle break-in procedure...

Post by sim »

About to pick-up my first new rifle, a tikka t3 varmint in .204

I have been told a few different break-in procedures from different people and was wondering what is best as you only have one chance to get it right...... also any helpful tricks and tips... :?

as far i can tell its:
Clean the barrel every shot for the first 10 shots then
every 3 shots for 3 rounds then
every 5 shots for 2 rounds.

I was also told to run the brass brush through 5 separate times and swob till clean each time for each clean..... if that makes sense....

one would think the owners book would have a detailed explanation as it will set the standard for the rest of the rifles life... (not counting replacement barrel)

any advice would be great
thanks
wadcutter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .338Win Mag

Re: New rifle break-in procedure...

Post by wadcutter »

I would clean every shot for three shots.
Then every two shots for four shots
Then every three shots for six shots

After that see how the barrel is coming up clean. If still getting a lot of fouling then clean frequently till it gets better.

More importantly is the way you clean. Here are some of the rules I follow.

Always use a rod guide and correct sized rod, jag and brushes.
Never run a dirty or used patch through bore.
Don’t be ham fisted.
Never run a jag or brush back and forward in a barrel.
Always remove jag from rod before removing rod from bore.
Never run anything like a brush or jag, back over crown of muzzle.
Give solvent plenty of time to work.
Get a “feel” for your barrel.
Take your time, don’t rush.

I start with a wet patch soaked in copper/powder solvent, run it through bore and remove patch and brass jag from rod. Remove rod from bore gently. Let solvent soak for a while.
Replace brass jag onto rod and run dry patch through bore, remove patch and brass jag from rod and gently remove rod from bore.

Repeat process until bore is clean. If Carbon has built up,(you can “feel” it) use a bronze brush dipped in carbon remover and run through bore and out muzzle, unscrew and remove brush and gently remove rod from barrel. Repeat this three or four times. Then use a dry patch to remove carbon and carbon solvent.

Then go back to using copper/powder solvent until bore is clean. . Remove rod guide and patch out any solvent that may have leaked past end of rod guide back into chamber area. Finish with good quality oil. Remove oil with dry patch before next shot.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Mate you don't need to run it in. Just clean it before you fire it and then after your finished for the day!! I've done it both ways with factory barrels and it doesn't make frig all difference. Save your ammo for killing stuff! :D
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

If you have to sight the rifle in you may as well clean between shots.........just slows the proccess down,whether it makes a difference on a factory barrel..........who knows.......cant hurt.
As to pushing/pulling a bronze brush through the barrel..fine by me and I do it everytime I use a brush and the same goes for the removal of the jag,I leave the jag on the rod and if you do remove the jag and then pull the rod back you have to be extra carefull that the rod dosent touch the barrel as it will be steel on steel and very few guides will stop that from happening,rather drag a bronze jag than the rod end along the bore..
I have spun the cleaning rods with a bat drill with the jag on the end and smoothed the jag to rod join with wet and dry so that there is no step where they join.
Unfortunately most rod guides that are readilly available are only good for stopping solvent from getting in the action........better than nothing I suppose.

Regards Chris
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

The main thing with a brand spanking new rifle is to thoroughly clean all of the factory preservative oil out of the barrel.
JBS3
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by JBS3 »

this is how i run my vlp in http://www.savagearms.com/customerservice/faq/ takes a lot of time and ammo
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

JBS3 wrote:this is how i run my vlp in http://www.savagearms.com/customerservice/faq/ takes a lot of time and ammo
Savage Barrel Break-In Procedure
JBS3
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by JBS3 »

thanks cam