is 22 magnum better on fox then a hummer?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: is 22 magnum better on fox then a hummer?

Post by Knackers »

Nobody has posted an album of WMR kills yet, somebody? anyboby?:wink:
Andrewk, that is my CZ HMR with a chunky cat in my avatar. :wink:
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

andrewk wrote:22 hornet is .223
NO! they are mostly not...unless made a very long time ago. .223 bore Hornets are rare.
While we are bitching about spelling, punctuation and grammar :evil: , I'll take this opportunity to point out that to,too and two have different meanings. As do lose and loose, there, their and they're, your and you're - etc etc blah blah. The school system has really gone downhill, so many people with a poor understanding of their own language.

Anyway if you have a .222 why not just work out a mild load for it and you'll have something that will reach out a bit further than a Hornet or a 22WMR. Or are you just looking for an excuse to have a switch barrel HMR/WMR 8)
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

native hunter wrote:Oh you are tryin to stir the pot. :lol:
Where is the popcorn emoticon.??
Just for the record ,of course the magnum is better,everyone rates the magnum on its performance from years ago when everyone used highland ammo, times have changed.!!
Native
fark me,

where is the popcorn emoticon exactly!

:shock: did i say that right?
Knackers wrote:Nobody has posted an album of WMR kills yet, somebody? anyboby?:wink:
Andrewk, that is my CZ HMR with a chunky cat in my avatar. :wink:
i think its time for grass roots shooting again knackers, bring on the 22wmr or wummer as i like the sound of that.

love that cat in you avatar, did you skin him?? he's a ripper.
Sam Walker wrote:
andrewk wrote:22 hornet is .223
NO! they are mostly not...unless made a very long time ago. .223 bore Hornets are rare.
While we are bitching about spelling, punctuation and grammar :evil: , I'll take this opportunity to point out that to,too and two have different meanings. As do lose and loose, there, their and they're, your and you're - etc etc blah blah. The school system has really gone downhill, so many people with a poor understanding of their own language.

Anyway if you have a .222 why not just work out a mild load for it and you'll have something that will reach out a bit further than a Hornet or a 22WMR. Or are you just looking for an excuse to have a switch barrel HMR/WMR 8)
thanks sam, mostly more excuse to play with new toys really. got a couple of old .224 barrels that might make donors lying around. but probably just get the neglected 222, after all, she's my favourite.
fenring wrote:Bloody HMR's are shit on foxes
yes i agree totally. fen i'm sick of your crap about this topic. we went through it last year during winter fox season. yes a well placed shot well fuck a fox, and i've shot plenty with the hummer, but when you shoot areas where ther are lots of other shooters teaching foxes you get less time for that shot. they come up side on looking to get out of the light quick and move too much for a head shot. chest is the best place for a quick one and the hummer sucks at that since it fails to deliver through the shoulder effectively. some mathematical equasion about energy i think. i've seen those photo's before, you can stick that pig up your arse. i just don't care that you use one all the time so don't rub it in.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Fenring-You dont like the fizzer (I like that word.!!)being knocked and yes you have used it in the field probably more than most.
Theres plenty of evidence out there that the HMR has its fair share of problems and also it's merits,although not many(what-Its flatter and faster.??-Big deal,learn to shoot.)!!.
You advocate its ability on game you have taken with it but in fact most of that game could be taken with a airgun to some degree,and before you go quoting and stating about shooting critters with airguns ,its only a comparison.
The fact is their is little in the way of variety of ammo for the fizzer compared to the magnum and the downrange knock down power of the magnum is superior,a few inches here and there makes no difference at the effective range of both these calibres.
Put them both on paper and they both shoot like shotguns,but one hits considerably harder at the same ranges for both calibres.
This argument can and will go on for years, some like them some dont.!!!
I would have a magnum over the Fizzer anyday,thats just me,You obviously the fizzer and thats fine.!!.
Im gettin sick of this pissin match that goes on here over this subject,feels like AHN here some days.!
Regards
Native
fenring

Post by fenring »

Native, you are posting from a position of ignorance.

Firstly, you have no idea how far out any of those foxes etc were shot. Will your expensive PCP do the job at 150m? Will your air rifle, a .22LR or .22M do it at 150m - or allow you to aim at the top of their head and hit them between the eyes at that range?

Secondly, you have seen some HMR rifles at the range that you reckon didn't shoot good enough. So what - I've seen plenty of .22's that were crap on paper too, and a woeful .22M Stirling that couldn't group inside 6" at 50m. I guess that means they are all bad too, eh?

There is plenty of evidence out there that the HMR can shoot quite well - but these are hunting guns remember and most of the popular ones are priced fairly cheaply. I've seen some shoddy work on the lower priced guns - this is not the fault of the calibre. These guns are not the purview of those who post photos of bits of paper with little groups on them. (or at least the best group of a long day at the range......)

The new light weight .22M ammo with 30gr pills is beaten by the HMR for energy past 80m. Wind drift is horrendous thanks to the poor BC and they aren't much cheaper than HMR ammo. The figures are out there if you care to enlighten yourself. In any case, the 40gr magnum pill with it's extra weight, momentum and energy is wasted if it sails over or under your target because you got the holdover wrong at longer ranges. And IMO I wouldn't count on the little bit of alleged "knockdown power" advantage that the .22M has over the HMR to make a bad shot effective. It's all about placement and you as an airgunner should appreciate how important that is.

You can knock the calibre all you like - I don't care as I have far more experience with it that you, and my opinions are based on three years of enjoying the ability of this little round in the field. I don't form my opinions based on other people's second hand information or keyboard expertise.
McDave
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by McDave »

wow.

exactly how many "free exchanges of ideas" can you have in one thread? :shock:

my two (I think thats the right 2 :wink: ) cents worth:

I like the hummer, but having only used one a couple of times and only on rabbits at fairly short ranges, I can't really say it is better than the wummer (love it) at greater distances and on larger game.

having said that I am currently shopping around for a lefty wummer to add to the safe. anyone got a spare???

You Fellas play nice now.
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

If your shooting bunnies on a warren at a known distance then they may be fine...

But whoose to say the fox knows where 150m is...

Take a centrefire and just make sure of it...
fenring

Post by fenring »

Rumpus wrote: Take a centrefire and just make sure of it...
Yep - if you want a dedicated fox gun then a CF is the way to go.

The fox is big game for any rimfire - it's a bit like choosing to hunt pigs with a .223. Yes, it will do the job if everything is right but why not just use something that gives you a bit of leeway?
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

fenring wrote:
Rumpus wrote: Take a centrefire and just make sure of it...
Yep - if you want a dedicated fox gun then a CF is the way to go.

The fox is big game for any rimfire - it's a bit like choosing to hunt pigs with a .223. Yes, it will do the job if everything is right but why not just use something that gives you a bit of leeway?
great! now you've said that fen. piss off and take your hummer with you :auto:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

I reckon if you are going after foxes then a CF is the way to go. If one pops up while goin after rabbits well I if it is within the range of a WMR or a HMR well why not. But whether one is better or not well they have good a bad sides. I have not shot a WMR but by all reports they are not quite as accurate as the HMRs and not as flat shooting as the HMR but in some stuff that I read a while ago reckoned the WMR had a little more energy than the HMR at some ranges. So I reckon that the best answer is depends.... on your shooting and range finding ability and what you like better. But who really cares as long as it kills the bastards! If you are slpitting hairs over which is better why not go for a hornet, 19Calhoon/badger or .204 and so on. These have a not more ability and range. AFAIK skins are not worth getting so pelt damage is not an issue. I would be prefer being over gunned than relying on a good shot. HMR's are not designed for rabbits and a fox if your lucky. In that range they are great. Foxes need more gun, the reason I went for a CF

As for bagging a sow with a hummer.... well done champ! Anyone saying sows should be kept and being serious should have a bloody good look at themselves. Ferals should be erradicated not sustained for hunting pleasure. We will never actually kill them all off but we should be aiming for it.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Good post Plowboy. :wink:
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Fenring in your ignorance in defending the fizzer you seemed to have missed the point.!!
I in no way stated that I would be shooting anything at 150 mtrs with an air rifle, hence why I used it as a comparison,I knew this would be your comeback. :lol:
Are you saying they were all shot at 150 mtrs because if they were not and some were closer then sure they may have been able to have been shot with another calibre or air rifle.??
There is plenty of rimfire .22lr out there that would shoot considerably better than most fizzers at 50 and even 100mtrs,thers not many fizzers that can shoot very well at 100mtrs.
You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about range shooting,maybe its because it is the real show of how a gun and shooter performs,we can all point and shoot at an animal and kill it with a gun that is adequate and sighted appropriately.
I do accept that not all HMR rifles are of the same quality and not all shooters are of the same ability on paper or in the field.
A 40 grain pill will be more effective at 150mtrs than a 20 grain pill will be, I'm not about to go diggin and quoting figures for you but the hold over is not overly large and with a little experience can be mastered.
I will continue to knock the calibre because I dont like it ,thats my opinion,you have yours and I have mine.
You can imply that Im a keyboard hunter all you like but I assure you I have spent more time in the field than alot of people in years gone bye,I base my statements on years of experience and by no means do I claim to know it all.!!!
Your three years of experience is well received by many here but by no means is it the be all and end all of the HMR,there are alot more people out there that have sent more rounds down range in the field and on paper than you and some have good comments some have negative comments.
So you keep shootin your fizzer and if I want to take a shot at something at 150mtrs I will use a centrefire and be sure its goin down, if not the .22lr or magnum will suffice.
Maybe you can see it in your self to agree to disagree.???
Over to you fen.!! :P
Regards
Native
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

fenring wrote:Native, you are posting from a position of ignorance.

The new light weight .22M ammo with 30gr pills is beaten by the HMR for energy past 80m. Wind drift is horrendous thanks to the poor BC and they aren't much cheaper than HMR ammo. The figures are out there if you care to enlighten yourself. In any case, the 40gr magnum pill with it's extra weight, momentum and energy is wasted if it sails over or under your target because you got the holdover wrong at longer ranges. And IMO I wouldn't count on the little bit of alleged "knockdown power" advantage that the .22M has over the HMR to make a bad shot effective. It's all about placement and you as an airgunner should appreciate how important that is.

You can knock the calibre all you like - I don't care as I have far more experience with it that you, and my opinions are based on three years of enjoying the ability of this little round in the field. I don't form my opinions based on other people's second hand information or keyboard expertise.

who's posting from ignorance when you say things about figures and your wrong?

compare 17 hmr tnt, 17hmr vmax to 22wmr maxi mag 40gr, 22wmr maxi mag +v 30gr and the 22wmr vmax 30gr and have a good look at energy and bullet drop.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/varmint.aspx
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

Who Cares... WMR or Fizzer, when they close enough, but a CF will get a better job done, I think we have all agreed on that!!
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

Rumpus wrote:Who Cares... WMR or Fizzer, when they close enough, but a CF will get a better job done, I think we have all agreed on that!!
haha, yeah can't argue that. where's my 222 rem? :lol: