Changing Barrels (Rem700)

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
r_j_t1982
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .204r

Changing Barrels (Rem700)

Post by r_j_t1982 »

I've noticed a few threads about buiding "switch" barrel set ups, but I'm wondering, how many of you do it (switch barrels)? and what is the actual process from go to whoa?

Do you need/recommend a basic or full true of action and barrel tenon before hand?
How do you switch the barrels?

Also, anyone know of any take off 223 barrels (to suit rem700) that may be available/price?.....
davegh2o
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47L ai

Re: Changing Barrels (Rem700)

Post by davegh2o »

r_j_t1982 wrote:I've noticed a few threads about buiding "switch" barrel set ups, but I'm wondering, how many of you do it (switch barrels)? and what is the actual process from go to whoa?

Do you need/recommend a basic or full true of action and barrel tenon before hand?
How do you switch the barrels?

Also, anyone know of any take off 223 barrels (to suit rem700) that may be available/price?.....

G'Day,

I have a Remington 700 that I use for for some long stuff, it has two different barrels. Both the same calibre however and I won't bore you with the reason but it is very simple to switch. A barrel vice and action wrench is all you need. The process takes about 5 minutes and the first shot is generally within a minute of the previous barrel (same calibre).

A trued action will play a major part in the accuracy of the rifle for sure. As far as the calibres go the have to run the same action and boltface unless you have two bolts also.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask

REgards Dave,
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: Changing Barrels (Rem700)

Post by JasonF »

r_j_t1982 wrote:Also, anyone know of any take off 223 barrels (to suit rem700) that may be available/price?.....
Try giving Shane Clancy a call in Naranderra. He usually has take off barrels on hand - the list in his forum on this site is out of date though.

Another option is Target Solutions in WA. They list sporter and varmint weight 223 barrels in stock in CM and stainless. I have purchased a barrel from David previously and the price inc postage was reasonable. http://www.targetsolutions.com.au/barrels.php