"New" toy, CZ Hornet

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
glennasher1

"New" toy, CZ Hornet

Post by glennasher1 »

I watched all last summer, after spying this rifle on the rack at the local gunshop, and it never moved, so a couple of weeks ago, I went ahead and got it ($350 US). Some knothead had painted the stock black, but he tossed in a spare magazine and a cheap Simmons scope, which will probably be thrown away.
Knowing CZ usually puts nice wood on the little guns, I took the stock to work (I work in a cabinet shop) and started stripping the paint off the wood stock. Stripping the paint revealed the reason for the paint job, it had been snapped in two at the pistol grip. :( Hmmm.........
Oh well, the repair job was first rate, good glue and dowel pins, in the right places, too. Sanding took away the checkering, but a .22 Hornet doesn't require checkering to stay in hand.... :)
After some sanding and refinishing, it turned out pretty good. It was one helluva piece of wood in it's day, with fiddleback from the buttplate to the tip of the forearm. What a crying shame for the guy who broke the stock in the first place.
Attachments
Finally, what I've ended up with, after some sanding and finish work.
Finally, what I've ended up with, after some sanding and finish work.
stockinprogresscz 004.JPG (41.1 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Break from the passenger side.
Break from the passenger side.
czhornetstock 003.JPG (50.23 KiB) Viewed 440 times
czhornetstock 001.JPG
The break in the stock from the driver's side.
(51.67 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Here's what I got when I bought the rifle.
Here's what I got when I bought the rifle.
hornet 002.JPG (39.2 KiB) Viewed 440 times
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: "New" toy, CZ Hornet

Post by trevort »

you've done well Glenn.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Yeah nice job Glenn, the fiddleback shouldn't be hidden under paint, despite the repair..
BruceHornet
Favourite Cartridge: MANY

Post by BruceHornet »

yer mate beautiful work but how the f#%k do you snap a stock in the first place :?
vicfox
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 17 HMR

Post by vicfox »

Good recovery . Hope it shoots as well as it looks.
I had a 10/22 Ruger as my first rifle and broke the stock at the same place. Passing it over a fence the receipient took it by the sholder strap only to have it come away from the swivel and swung to the ground. Wanted to drop my mate as well and need to pick them both up but shit happens. My dad fixed it and good old flack vest Johnny finished up with it.
aam
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22 Hornet

Post by aam »

You did some very nice work on there Glen.
let us know how it shoots. :)
Regards, Albert.
cruisey
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .303

Post by cruisey »

Looks good Glenn, 100% on what it was !, what finish did you use, oil or poly ?
glennasher1

Post by glennasher1 »

I used satin polyurethane on the stock. If I were doing it over, I might add a touch of stain to the poly, but I sorta wanted the grain to be "as is".

I won't get a chance to shoot it until next Sunday, weather permitting (dead of winter here in the States). I'm curious to see how it does, I know where I can obtain a new barrel very inexpensively($55 USD), if it comes to that, Calhoon sells his take-offs for his 19 Calhoons for that.

As far as what broke it, I haven't got a clue, it could have been anything, a stumble, fall, run over with a car, who knows? The action seems smooth and unharmed, and my calibrated eyeball says the barrel looks good, the bottom metal is in good shape, perfectly straight and unbent. Dunno how it broke, but it was kinda fun finding out what was lurking under that obscene black paint.

I'll let you know how the range trip next weekend turns out, if nothing else, it will be interesting.