who wants a 19 calibre Calhoon rifle?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
feralbuster
17 Hornet

who wants a 19 calibre Calhoon rifle?

Post by feralbuster »

Hi troops,
I have flip flopped about getting a 19 calhoon hornet for a few years now, and looked at the 20 AH & 20 mink recently also, but forming brass and finding load data looks to be difficult, so back to the calhoon, formed brass, modified mags and load data ready to go! (and Johno pretty much convinced me they were a good thing)

Anyway, I spoke with the Technical sales manager from one of the smaller Australian importers the other day, as I noticed they were importing cooper rifles out from the states.

He said they would certainly be interested in looking at getting one out for me, and will look (calhoon) up when he is at the USA's SHOT show early next year.

He also said that there is $250USD export tax on firearms leaving USA, however this can be spread across more than firearm (eg import 10 rifles, then its $25USD each).

To get to the point there is possibly an opportunity to get these varmint rifles or barrel kits & accessories (brass, dies, projectiles etc) in 19-223, 19 Badger & 19 calhoon (hornet) on the CZ527 & Ruger 77/22 platforms. Having an 'importer' will also make it easier to get the 19 projectiles out in bulk from the states.

Anyone interested send me a PM and I'll give you the guys contact details, he'll be encouraged if there is some more widespread interest!
Peter O
.22 WMR

Re: who wants a 19 calibre Calhoon rifle?

Post by Peter O »

I must admit I have had an interest in the 19cal for a while but without a ready supply of components I have always shyed away. We are so disadvantaged when it comes to the unusual I understand anyones reluctance to experiment.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Well if the crop went OK I would be booking one in but alas no. Was interested in a 19-223 for this multi barrelled project I have in mind. How long until you are wanting to do this? Might be in a better position in 6 months.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

what is the advantage of a 19 223 over a 20 223 that would make it worth the hassle?
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Great website Calhoun, interesting gadgetry for the CZ but hard to do business without an email facility. Sinclairs did carry a bit of his stuff but I don't see it in this year's catalogue.
worth the hassle?
Sure is, this is a side effect of being bitten by the custom or semi-custom bug......... (so I'm told) :lol:

Another one is an overwhelming desire to inject funds into the Narrandera economy :lol:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Can anybody tell me if buying a barrel kit needs a PTA? Would be good to buy a barrel kit for later but not worth it if heaps of paperwork to do. I would need to get another one for a donor rifle.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

frakka wrote:Great website Calhoun, interesting gadgetry for the CZ but hard to do business without an email facility. Sinclairs did carry a bit of his stuff but I don't see it in this year's catalogue.
worth the hassle?
Sure is, this is a side effect of being bitten by the custom or semi-custom bug......... (so I'm told) :lol:

Another one is an overwhelming desire to inject funds into the Narrandera economy :lol:

Yes. I get the bug bit. My 20 cal wildcat was not needed and I didnt need to re invent the wheel but why not. But then there are lots of 20 cal pills here. What does a 19 do better than a 20? What infinitessimal difference is there that warrants building something with a questionable component supply?
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

trevort wrote:Yes. I get the bug bit. My 20 cal wildcat was not needed and I didnt need to re invent the wheel but why not. But then there are lots of 20 cal pills here. What does a 19 do better than a 20? What infinitessimal difference is there that warrants building something with a questionable component supply?

That could start all manor or arguments around here.
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

trevort wrote:Yes. I get the bug bit. My 20 cal wildcat was not needed and I didnt need to re invent the wheel but why not. But then there are lots of 20 cal pills here. What does a 19 do better than a 20? What infinitessimal difference is there that warrants building something with a questionable component supply?
Trevor, the point you make is sound. Personally, I'm interested in the hornet based calhoon, as I have a Ruger M77/22 varmint in 22WMR, and its one of my favourite rifles. The 19 calhoon hornet on a 77/22 will fill a niche between my 22WMR & my 204 as walk-around varminter, leaving my 204 set up for spotlight work. I'm a hunter, and while I enjoy reloading to an extent, I'm not that interested in fiddling about forming brass for either a 17 AH or a 20 hornet. James Calhoon makes it simple for me: gun and brass all ready to go :) If I buy a few thousand projectiles, that will last me a while as I generally only shoot at things that breathe, and I'm not that bad a shot that I have to shoot at fox 3 or 4 times to get him. If the crunch comes (no projectiles), I can always put the hornet barrel back on...

On the larger debate, i can't say that there is much difference between say, the 19-223 & the 20 practical, but I'll throw one back at you: why have a 20 practical and 204 :roll: can't see there is much difference between those chamberings? Cheaper brass? Not like 204 brass is 3 times more expensive than 223?
At the end of the day, I'm only spending my money, not anyone elses :o you well know that theres guys on this forum that own one each of a 222, 223, 22-250, 243? It could be asked of people like 1kshot & Aussie Steve why they need so many guns, but thats their choice, and I say good on them if they can afford it.

You should know that the regulars on this forum are 'enthusiasts', as one of them , you could say. "hell, let those blokes go for it. maybe they'll waste their money, but it might turn out that those 19's are best thing since belted cartridges" :mrgreen:
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

From memory, AHN member "Fenno" has one....
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

my situation was that I had a 223 which was never gonna be used and a very heavy 204. I thought the JAB 20 in a light varmint package would fill a niche and get some use. It might do, but it sure wasnt needed, in fact I tried to sell it to Grimo and it hasnt been in the field yet.

you spend your money whatever way makes you happy!!!

PS, 17m4, Jab 20, 204, 22/250/ 6/250 243,, you could argue there is a bit of overlap there :wink:
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Did you get any further with this?
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

Jeff,
assume your question is directed at me? I've since spoken to Jim Leahy at Calhoons about what I need to get going (ie accessories, brass etc), he is also sending me a quote so that I can work out how much the importer is going to slap on top! Jim said it is easiest for calhoons to export rebarrel kits, but when I said I had an importer lined up, a complete rifle then came into contention, (as recommended by Johno who has a 19 badger). If you want to know more, then I can PM you some specifics when I get my quote.
I'll probably go ahead and get a 19 hornet this year if the importer is up for it.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Hey mate I'm also interested to see so I'll PM you too! Was thinking more along the lines of a rebarrel kit though but inrested to know how much the complete package is. BTW what is the legal requirements for just the rebarrel kit? What permits and other crap do you have to get to import a pipe????
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

feralbuster wrote:Jeff,
assume your question is directed at me?
Yep, I did mean you, sorry! Will be interested in your quote, but was only looking at a barrel kit, so if they're happy to export directly that's fine. Shame they have no email though.