Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!

Overall, Which Rimfire Rifle is better in accuracy and quality.

Poll ended at Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 pm

CZ 452/453
88%
Marlin Bolt Action Rimfire
12%

Total votes: 50

kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Post by kjd »

Just to settle it once and for all... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Post by Plowboy »

Ah yes Kieth but you are assuming that everybody owns/has owned them both. Or at least shot with them a fair bit. I have not......
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Plowboy wrote:Ah yes Kieth but you are assuming that everybody owns/has owned them both. Or at least shot with them a fair bit. I have not......
Hahaha its not an election mate. .. It will be ok :D
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

In terms of build quality i think the CZ would easily be of a higher standard. I prefer the whole workings of the CZ over the marlin. A mate has a Marlin i have a CZ. He prefers his saftey because it blocks the trigger, where as i prefer the CZ saftey because it blocks the firing pin. The trigger out of the box on the Marlin is pretty plain, the CZ is better and it can be worked to be better fairly easily. The CZ is a more conventional style of gun with the bolt handle at the back of the gun, the Marlins more Agricultral in its style.

But accuracy is hard to say without a definitive test. I would like to see 10 out of the box marlins vs 10 out of the CZ, to get a better veiw of the accuracy stake. Any gun company can make an accurate gun, its just how often they make a 'ripper' compared to a 'dud' that make one gun brand stand out more than another.
MAWLER

Post by MAWLER »

I'm not buying into this one, might be fun to watch tho :lol:
Richta
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by Richta »

I own a 452 varmint and my bro has a marlin 982 stainless (i think) so i have had fair bit of experience with both rifles. The marlin had a POS trigger out of the box but we replaced the trigger spring with one from a bic pen and its the duck's nuts, the trigger is on par with the brooked 452. The marlin is super accurate (especially for a 22 mag) half inch groups at one hundred metres. As others have said the build quality of the cz is head and shoulders better than the marlin, im not saying the marlin is a bad rifle by any means but it does feel very agricultural. If i could only have one it would have to be the CZ and my bro shares this opinion. But at the end of the day they're two rifles at two different price points with the marlins being a "budget" rifle and for a budget rifle i think you can't go wrong.
fenring

Post by fenring »

The more you pay, the more you get.

CZ's a typically more expensive than any Marlin you care to name. So it's not comparing apples with apples really.

It's like comparing a CZ with an Anschutz.

Marlins and the like have their place - if someone only wants or can only afford to spend a certain amount then the Marlin is an option, and they do the job in the field, which is what matters. They also offer a lot of options as far as finish, stock type, barrel weight etc.

I myself am not super keen on CZ's and I have to wonder at their refusal to actually build a rimfire rifle out of stainless steel. I also prefer a Weaver style scope block mount setup as opposed to tip off grooves.

Thus, my rimfires are the 77/22 All Weather and Savage 93R17BTVS. :)
KAV300WSM

Post by KAV300WSM »

You do get what you pay for. Old man always told me that what you spend on a rifle spend the same on a scope or more. Wont go wrong with a CZ topped with a decent scope and a little trigger work.

TikkaGirl
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by TikkaGirl »

I have never fired either one, so I'm voting purely on the quality and build.

Marlin, Kind of cheap looking, rattly tinny magazine. and I dont like open sights on the barrel (completely personal and based on aesthetics only.)

CZ- Love the look, the barrel, the stock, you can see and feel the quality.

- I think i have said most of this in the thread where the debate originated! :wink: :wink:
fenring

Post by fenring »

TikkaGirl - not all Marlins have this oft mentioned "rattly magazine" issue, LOL. Not all have open sights on the barrel, and there are a variety of stock configurations in the Marlin lineup.

With CZ's, some do have open sights on the barrel, there are a variety of different stock styles from the horrible (IMO....) hogsback style to the more modern American style to the silhouette to the varmint.

It's a matter of making your choice and paying your money - as I said above CZ's cost more so you'd expect an overall better quality of finish.

I know people level similar criticisms at Savage rimfires, but I can tell you that my friend's MKII is as accurate as a CZ I recently set up for another mate, and as accurate as my far more expensive 77/22.

Likewise, my Savage HMR has a mountain of rabbits, foxes, hares, cats and even a pig to its credit, with nary a malfunction. :bang:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I just placed a deposit on the Marlin 980S-CF. I got it for $630.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... 80S-CF.asp

The rifle will be campaigned in the factory Sporter Class with the Small Bore Association, field work and the occasional Fly.

It was either the Marlin or the nickel finished CZ but like opinions, on the firing line every man has a CZ and in Sporter Class the day could be won by anyone brandishing one.

I have three Brunos in the safe and couldn't justify another and besides I know how accurate and durable Marlins are having used one during my youth for many years in the field and shooting Club.

They may have heavy triggers but even the trigger on a factory CZ is awful.

I must admit that the Marlin in terms of cosmetic appearance is not that gratifying and may not have as fine curves as its European counterpart but on paper that counts for very little.

As for build quality and design, I know of numerous Lithgows and Sterlings that are extremely accurate and still doing the rounds, these rifles are just as accurate as the day they come of the assembly line.

I will write a review and post it on the forum when I acquire the rifle.

Regards

Sean
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Sean Ambrose wrote: It was either the Marlin or the nickel finished CZ but like opinions, on the firing line every man has a CZ and in Sporter Class the day could be won by anyone brandishing one.

I have three Brunos in the safe and couldn't justify another and besides I know how accurate and durable Marlins are having used one during my youth for many years in the field and shooting Club.
Sean there is more than likely a good reason for every man having one.......................and being cheap is not one of them.

Regards Chris.
bsg
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by bsg »

I refuse to vote.
In fact I am lodging a protest at the fact that one of the finest .22 rifles ever made and often overlooked, not to forget super accurate, has not been included.

KJD I demand that you stop this obvious racist poll till the Norinco JW15 has been added.

Brett
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

chris.tyne wrote:
Sean there is more than likely a good reason for every man having one.......................and being cheap is not one of them.

Regards Chris.
Chris,

Ever heard of a marketing machine? Ever wondered why certain items are located on the top shelves in Super markets, why certain Companies resort to the use of specific Colors. In fact would you still bend over to pick a known brand from the bottom shelf?

Then of course in the States CZ pay higher margins to those who peddle there product, I am not certain as to how this equates in Australia but don't take my word for it....just read what Chuck Hawks has to say;

".....it has long been my suspicion that CZ has a better than average mark-up built into their pricing (compared to most American brands). A little research proved this to be the case. When I compared the CZ 513 to a Savage .22 with an identical dealer cost, I found that the dealer makes an extra $21 on the CZ if he sells both at the MSRP. Believe me, that matters in a retail business......"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/cz_452_513.htm

In another review of Marlin Chuck goes on to say that ".....The Marlin Model 60 is the world's most popular .22 rifle with, according to Marlin, well over 11 million produced......Marlin is the Number One manufacturer of .22 rimfire rifles in the world, and the Model 60 is their most popular model....."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/marlin_model_60_rifles.htm

Then of course Chuck provides another good review on Marlins 17 HMR.

"Marlin is the top producer of rimfire rifles in the U.S. Included in their extensive line are three bolt action varmint rifles chambered for the hot .17 HMR cartridge. These are the Models 917V, 917VS, and 917VSF.

Marlin's 917 series varmint rifles are widely considered to be among the most accurate on the market......"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/marlin_917.htm

However just because 100 people on any given day are found running Brunos on the firing line does not mean that they are superior.....it doesn't even provide a reasonable means for comparison.

Regardless, your opinion is your opinion of which your entitled but like I said in the 'factory' Sporter Class I will be running the Marlin :wink:

Regards

Sean
Last edited by Curtley78 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i thought this poll was about accuracy and quality?? not a poll over retail mark up or aggressive marketing tactics by either manufacturer. given the extra cost of a cz people still buy them and why??