I think i want a .22 hornet

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Re: I think i want a .22 hornet

Post by WhiteMeat »

Cheers for that Trev, you've got me thinking of something else now lol (20 cal)
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Ackley Improved has really good things to say about the 20 VT

AI is a hard bloke to impress about cartridges and guns and for him to blow sunshine up 20 VT arse it must be a good bit of gear

IMNHO the 17 Fireball and the 20 VT are in the same sort of good family, performance wise

Seems to me the 17 fireball gives you a factory ammo option- all be it an exy one
and
the 20VT as a brass forming and reloading option but with the corresponding performance increase to match the higher amount of work required to get loaded ammo.

and both of them shit all over the 22 hornet or wildcats made from hornet brass like I think the 19 Badger is made from hornet brass- and has all the associated problems that hornet brass does
those brass problems are inflicted on the unfortunate reloaders of hornets

A new Rem SPS in 17 Fireball is not going to be much more expensive than a S/H hornet in Brno or similar from years back especially if the hornet is coming from someones "collection" and has emotional baggage associated with the asking price

P
Aussie steve
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: ALL of 'em

Post by Aussie steve »

I would personaly go a good used .222, much better than the .22 hornet and probably could be had cheaper as well. I also sold my .17 HMR, and built a .17 Ackley hornet on a brno zkw 465 to replace it. I wouldnt go a .22 hornet unless you were going to reload it, and even then I'd seriously consider making it a K hornet.

Steve
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

.19 hornet is from hornet brass. Badger is a 30 cabine necked down. According to jamescalhoon.com it has 25% more powder than a .19 hornet.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

You can also get a brand new 222, I see Tikka are still making them.