Frustrating 204

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Re: Frustrating 204

Post by GJS »

I think brass thickness and hence capacity, barrel friction, chamber dimentions and no doubt many other things all go to make all rifles a bit different, we've just got to work with it to find what works. :)
My coments on 748 Win were just ment as a warning :!:

Glenn
simmo
Favourite Cartridge: all

Post by simmo »

Hey Larry,
On my fourth 204 its a L/H Tikka T3. As mentioned in other comments most 1 in 12 twists wont shoot the 40grain v-max, some shoot the nosler ok but the 39 sierra's work well if you can get them at the moment. I have 2500 of them on order.
Don't be scared to try 2208 i have used it in all my 204's. My custom 1 in 10's shoot the v-max very well but shoot the 32 sierra's like a scattergun. Dont loose heart the Tikka's are a great musket.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

simmo wrote:Don't be scared to try 2208 i have used it in all my 204's.
I thought it was the consensus of the 204 shooters here on AV that 2206H was the "go to" 204R powder

P
simmo

Post by simmo »

Hi ogre6br,
Built my first one before they where in the country in known makes it was a 1 in 10 twist on a sako action that gave me issues with the V-max's as they where the only ones i could get in at the time. The old mind set of get em to the lands was an issue and still is in most sako and tikka mags they don't allow short leads. This problem started a mad search to get something to shoot thats when i tried 2208 and gave the little buggers shit loads of jump, more than i ever thought possible and haven't looked back. Only my thoughts though. The tikka shoots on 29.2 of 2208 with moly sierra's at 3865fps. Interesting point' first remington vssf played with lasted five years and over 7000 rounds. Just rebarreled with a mab 1 in 10 to shoot all the left over 40gn v-max's that all the 1 in 12 owners can't use cause sierra's are rare at the moment.
GJS
.17 HMR

Post by GJS »

simmo wrote:Hi ogre6br,
Built my first one before they where in the country in known makes it was a 1 in 10 twist on a sako action that gave me issues with the V-max's as they where the only ones i could get in at the time. The old mind set of get em to the lands was an issue and still is in most sako and tikka mags they don't allow short leads. This problem started a mad search to get something to shoot thats when i tried 2208 and gave the little buggers shit loads of jump, more than i ever thought possible and haven't looked back. Only my thoughts though. The tikka shoots on 29.2 of 2208 with moly sierra's at 3865fps. Interesting point' first remington vssf played with lasted five years and over 7000 rounds. Just rebarreled with a mab 1 in 10 to shoot all the left over 40gn v-max's that all the 1 in 12 owners can't use cause sierra's are rare at the moment.
29.2gns of 2208?? Is that a typo or does moly make that much difference? My ADI book lists 28.1 as a compressed maximum.

Cheers

Glenn
simmo

Post by simmo »

No typo mate the 204 case should hold about 29.5 grains of 2208 to the shoulder. The load is for my rifle only and I WOULD NOT ADVISE USING IT WITH UNCOATED BULLETS. You may find other moly users all starting around maximum loads. When starting it is advisable to moly wipe your barrel before testing loads to reduce friction and pressure for the first few rounds or start well under maximum.
GJS
.17 HMR

Post by GJS »

Hi simmo
thanks for that I'm amazed, 28.5 of 08 in mine gives 3835fps. I can squezze 30 gns in to water level but I use 2206H if I want max velocity:- 28gn for 4000fps. I'll be interested to see how much that drops if or when I try molly.

Cheers

Glenn
simmo

Post by simmo »

Hey mate,
You will find that the same load you use will shed some velocity but more importantly a lot less pressure and copper fouling meaning less cleaning in the rabbit patch. Ive seen a 22/250 Ackley shooting uncoated bullets missing rabbits at 50yards after 200 shots and another one shooting coated bullets still going strong after 240 on the same day. Recently coated some barnes 338 tipped tsx's and bugger me the more powder we stuffed in and jumped on the speed went backwards. So the pressure rings on the barnes do work.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

simmo wrote: Recently coated some barnes 338 tipped tsx's and bugger me the more powder we stuffed in and jumped on the speed went backwards. So the pressure rings on the barnes do work.
But did they shoot? I've always steered away from them because I haven't heard of them shooting good in a lot of rifles.

I have to say fella's Shane (simmo) knows what he is talking about. When it comes to varminting he does a LOT of it and I don't think there are many people here who shoots more rabbits per trip then Shane. He recently took me & GriMo for a hunt and the amount of rabbits were unlike anything I've ever seen.
Shane's a humble guy but let me tell you he is one of the most knowledgeable guys I've met when it comes to hunting and varminting.
GJS
.17 HMR

Post by GJS »

Hi simmo
presumeably you could goto a faster powder with molly coated bullets?

Glenn
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

pat, 'go to' means you know it will work. in that regard I consider 2206h the go to powder as that is most likely to give the best result. i know a lot of our US friends like RE 10. that doesnt mean to say other powders wont work. some people are lazy. both mine worked perfectly with 2206h so i never tried anything else.

now Keith if Shane has your respect and shoots a 204 can weight of numbers convince you :P :P :P

Shane I got back into shooting 5 years ago. a 204 was the third rifle I purchased. Shops kept trying to sell me a 20g shotgun cleaning rod as they had not heard of the 204 :roll: . Still love it and am still a 204 cheerleader but dont do the calibre argument as much these days (except with Keith) as there are others that work.

Welcome on board
simmo

Post by simmo »

Thanks for the low profile Kjd. And they did shoot ok, better without moly.
Hey Glen, You could go a faster powder but as you know its up to your gun. I know of another guy that uses 2207 and it also shoots. Mate your only talking about 10mm at 300 yards between 3800fps and 4000fps with the V-max's and would be less with a higher bc bullet. If yours is shooting then stick with it. But like most of us what will i play with now ?? I think that the 204 is just one of those cartridges you can stuff anything in and it will shoot.
My only concern with the 204 is most factory rifles are 1 in 12 not 1 in 10. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth like Larry with the tikka and the 40 grainers. You want to be able to walk into a shop and be able to choose from a large projectile range and not be so limited by twist rate when there is only a small choice in 20cal pills and factory ammunition.
Trev, I tried on Keithy believe me I did but in my reckoning he's to much of a tight arse to spend a bit more on a good projectile cause he had left over noslesr shots in 22cal hence the 223. Can you please send me one of those 20ga rods that fit, since tetra made their 22cal rods so they don't fit in 20cal most other brushes and rods suck ! Talks cheap mate let the 204 do the talking as they do so well.
GJS
.17 HMR

Post by GJS »

Cant wait to see an update from larry, what you tried, what helped, what didn't, what your actual twist is etc.
simmo, your right 10 mms not much but it's still 16 yards more PBR on a fox with 39 sbks, every bit helps :D :D
My barrels twist is 1 in 11.75 and has no trouble with any of the 40s (It just don't like any of the noslers) :( :( :(

Glenn
simmo

Post by simmo »

Glenn,
Indeed it will give you a bit more in pbr every bit helps. Have you tried the noslers with around a 2.260 oal ?
larry
Favourite Cartridge: .270

Post by larry »

G'day blokes.
Sorry for the no response to all of the suggestions in fixing the 204.
Taking it all in and reading what other shooters are doing. I work all sorts of crap hours including weekends, which leaves little time
for shooting and fitting one testy misses. Weathers been crap lately; not helping.
Got the 39bk loaded ready to go, just got to get a gap in life.
Will keep you posted on the results.