rifle build up

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: rifle build up

Post by andrewk »

they're standard us prices. my mate tells me that they have advertising laws online so they are all the same mind you i did find a couple that were cheaper and didn't charge tax. he's going over there for a holiday and is planning to by scopes and bring them back in his luggage.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

The US dealer wont charge you extra tax, if you import something over $1000 aussie you get slugged GST if customs picks it up this end.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

yeah but what about bringing it back with you in your luggage?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Have you anything to declare?

No problems if they dont open your bag, and probably no problems if they do and dont know what one is worth.

You roll the dice.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Yeah Im not sure how that will fly as I have never tried it............all the same I hope you save a bundle :D ,as I am slowlyyyyy working my way up to puchasing a Nightforce.

Regards Chris.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

well i'll leave it to my mate to decide. he's good at pulling a dodgey. price wise with the aussie dollar doing well against the US and not seeing any au nightforce prices to get excited about i'm gonna go with my mate.

was looking at some leupy m4 scopes and they have them at $1300 US and for the same scope its over 2k. nvt have the m4 8.5-25x50 for $2476!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Andrew if that $1300 scope is in US$$$$ I say landed here it would cost you between $1800-$1900AU if it was posted from a vendor over there.
As I have said I hope you make a good saving and dont forget to keep us posted with the details when it arrives.

Regards Chris
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

Hey Chris,
something to do with the reticle being a type of mildot setup (not sure on this) and they fall into the dangerous goods or some shit like that.
That is utter rubbish as you suspected. Specific Mil-spec scopes require an export license from US Dept of State if they are part of a military spec contract. Even then there are ways and means...

I would never purchase a scope locally unless I stumbled across a steal.

Rath
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

all finished and awaiting a scope.
Attachments
10102009020.jpg
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Forget NVT mate, those prices are not cheap. Ring QGE here in Brisbane or HPGS in Sydney and get a quote for the scope you want before you send overseas - you might be surprised.

I have two Nightforce scopes - a 12-42x56 BR series and a 2.5-10x24 NXS compact and both were cheaper than those prices from Lilja quoted by Chris.

Totally pointless comparing Nightforce/Leupold prices against US/Aus. The supply chain is very different as is the tax setup, with Nightforce being an Aussie company their products are relatively cheaper here in Aus and Leupold are relatively cheaper in the US.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

all finished. i decided to put my leupold vxIII 4.5-14x50 on it and think it will be a great combo. the scope has a longish eye-relief which is fine by me cos the rifle is quite the handfull off the bench. me being so used to these whimpy varmint cartridges :lol:
Attachments
22102009043.jpg
22102009045.jpg
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

the loopy looks right at home :D