Which rifles should I buy?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Which rifles should I buy?

Post by SnipeWench »

Hi guys,

First post here, so please be kind...

I'm just starting out on this crazy new journey, and have finally found an Aussie shooting (*cough* sorry, varminting...) forum, where I can ask lots of questions.

Whilst patiently waiting for the licence to be issued by the Firearms Registry, I've been doing lots of research across the Internet, learning way more than I ever expected I would (I'm a learning sponge when it comes to technical stuff, so I've learnt all about mil-dot scopes, I've bought a shooting simulator on the PC, and even bought some iPhone shooting calculators!), and creating shopping lists for when I finally do get my licence. (I tell ya, it'll feel like Christmas when this licence comes, and I can splurge some money in the shops!)

I think I've settled on acquiring up to three rifles:

* an Anschutz 64 SBR, in .22LR. I'm hoping to use this rifle to practice the basics and finer aspects of target shooting, breath control, trigger control and such.
* either a Sako 85 Varmint, or a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .223, for general hunting
* and I have a real affinity for a Sako TRG 22 in .308Win. This would be my big-bore target silhouette or F-class (?) target, plus hunting pigs etc with my nephew (who started me down this rather expensive road in the first place!).

I've been reading through comments regarding the TRG 22 in particular, and you're quite right, maybe I should spend my $6,000 on a custom rifle? This has now put quite a bit of doubt into my mind as to which rifle to acquire. I don't know any gunsmiths to start the process of acquiring a custom rifle.

One of my ultimate goals is to shoot to 1000yds, so a custom rifle would be better (and ultimately more competitive), but if I bought the TRG 22, I'd have a rifle which could reach to 1000yds accurately enough, could be taken out into the field to shoot pigs at medium range, and I'd learn all about reloading to boot, to really tweak the accuracy of the TRG. My uncle was a sniper in the army, and I have a feeling he's rubbed some of that off onto me, which is probably why I'm so interested in the TRG 22. He wouldn't be surprised if I turn up on his doorstep with one at hand, which is what I'd prolly do, with a smile on my face whilst saying, "hey, can ya teach me how to shoot?".

To tell ya the truth, I have a real _lust_ for the TRG 42 in .338 Lapua *sigh*, but it's just a bit _too_ over the top, and as far as I can see, not suited to many comps. I'd also love to put a few rounds through a Barrett .50cal, just to say that "I've fired a .50"... *dreaming*

Someone said to me about a month ago to buy the best rifles I could afford, as they'll last a long time if cared for properly. Thus the Anschutz, Sako or Tikka. Very very nice rifles.

Thus I hope you can see my quandry. Wait a year for the TRG22, and shoot the crap outa the Anschutz/Sako/Tikka in the meantime, or get a proper BR/F-class...

"Help me AusVarmints, you're my only hope!"

Cheers,
- bec
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Which rifles should I buy?

Post by Rumpus »

Mate, not prob not far off the mark.. If was starting again id be thinking along your lines also..

I beleive every safe should have a .22 in it.. CZ, Sako, Anshultz are all good options..

As for the .223 in Sako 85 mate, ya couldnt pick a better rifle, Ive got a 75 Varmint in .223 and I wouldnt swap it for anything, the missus recons im gonna marry it before her!.. Great all round Rifle.

Ive always liked the looks of the TRG's but have no experiance with them, so cant really comment.. Sure there will be someone here that can though!
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Well a whole lot of debate in this but my 2 bobsworth would be skip the Annie 64 for a good second hand 54. The 223 is a good toy and the Sako is a nice rifle, a Remington XR100 in 223 would be good if you are happy with a single shot, you could use the 223 in F Standard with 69grn Seirras for 300 - 500 as well.
As to the TRG yeah nice bit of kit but over priced IMHO you can build a custum tactical for a lot less and depending on the type of target shooting you want to do you can build a very good long range BR rifle for that money ... my advice for the 308 get an Omark or similar and learn on that. When you have a handle on it then look at spending your $6000 on exactly what you want knowing that you are not going to do that flash gun any harm.

As for asking lots of questions ... thats how we all learn and theres no point in wondering when you can find out the facts.

Goood luck with your choices.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

There's a decent Omark .308 for sale on AHN http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... ic=52661.0 it's an F Std rifle, ready to go, just needs a scope\rings. Built by a gunsmith who has a very good reputation for target rifles, and cheap enough that if you don't like target shooting, it'd be easy to sell
No connection to the seller, but I have bought a few bits + pieces off him.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Hello Bec and welcome to the forum,as for what to get all I can say is you have a fair handle on things already just keep asking questions..........................
...............................................Ohh and..............
TRG=$6000 far,far better options and value for money rifles/rifle builds than that one.

Regards Chris.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Hi Bec good first post a lot of debate in here.I will go an Annie 1415 in 22lr ,a SAKO 85 varmint 204 :shock: and grab an Omark for range work.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I have no opinion on your 22 choice as I only own one for the kids to plink.

For your varmint calibre, forget 223 get a 204, like your rifle choice. We can debate ballistics on 220 swift or 22/250 versus 204 but there is no debate as a varmint rifle, 204 leaves 223 for dead unless your motivated by cheap ammo. (which I would guess you arent!)

About $2500 gets you a BAT action. Its right up there as one of the best for longe range target rifle builds. Choose your calibre barrel and stock and a Jewell trigger,
Buy a Tikka T3 or similar in your hunting calibre
Spend $6000 on a tacticool factory rifle, never seen one competitive at 1000yd BR (in my whole 6 matches :wink: ) But seriously, build yourself the best for that sort of money, not something anyone can pick up off a shelf. Shane Clancy is your friend!
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

The TRG is a waste of money.
I can build a better tac rifle for half the price or less based on a worked Rem 700.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

Has anyone used a Weatherby Sub-MOA varmint?
Nice looking gun.

Wonder how it goes?

How about the Ruger VT they have a good reputation dont they?
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Hi MISSED,
MISSED wrote:Hi Bec good first post a lot of debate in here.I will go an Annie 1415 in 22lr ,a SAKO 85 varmint 204 :shock: and grab an Omark for range work.
With regard to the Omark, is this what you were referring to?

http://www.mab.com.au/products/firearms/model44.htm

Very tempting! There's also the Omark target silhouette. What's the difference between the two? Is it the ability to use different length loads?

- bec
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

http://www.pbase.com/mhp/procal_fly_sho ... ember_2009

this is the firing line at the 500m fly in Canberra last weekend, count the TRGs used by competive LR shooters :wink:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

But there were Omarks :D well at least one :)

On the 223 front also look at the savage model 12's I know of a lefty with a 12vlp that will shoot well under an inch at 200 meters using nosler BT's. Or get a 12 LRPV in 6br can get a repeater or single shot or even a dual port and should shoot like stink as per most 6br's or you can get it in 223 as well.
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

trevort wrote:http://www.pbase.com/mhp/procal_fly_sho ... ember_2009

this is the firing line at the 500m fly in Canberra last weekend, count the TRGs used by competive LR shooters :wink:
I counted three of them :) Lots of customs though, definitely the majority.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

they didnt feature in the placings :wink: but then neither did I :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

I read elsewhere that conditions were terrible - can't imagine shooting a comp during it! Are there any weather conditions where a comp would get called off?