the amazing HMR and other stories

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

the amazing HMR and other stories

Post by trevort »

Young bloke next too me at the range shooting his savage HMR. I pointed out the accutrigger to Kerriet identifying it as a savage like hers. So we started talking

"yeah it's amazing, the bloke that sold it too me said it was good for 150 m but first time out I got a rabbit, clean neck shot at 400m"

You wanna share any of the good ones you have heard at the range?
andrewbron
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Re: the amazing HMR and other stories

Post by andrewbron »

sounds like he knows his stuff :lol:
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

The same bloke in the space of about 5 minutes came out with " I dropped a water buffalo with my .22 Magnum when I was up in the NT " and then there was the time he was shooting his 17Rem at some crows on a carcass - the flies were that thick the bullets were blowing up on them and they struggled to get a hit on a crow.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i bet he was aiming for a head shot though :lol:
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

One wonders why I persist with the recoil and noise of the 30-06 when obviously my HMR can do it all and more. :roll:

That said though trev you and pat have seen first hand the killing power of the mighty hummer when we shot that killer in the cattle truck :D . What was it, two shots from about 200mm :wink:

I would have loved to see your expression as he rattled of the war stories.

Dr G
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Now be fair, he might be the worlds best marksman and doper of the wind. Or he could be shit at judging distance... :?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Jeff I pointed out my target was out at 300m and we could barely see it with the naked eye! But his 3-9 scope was special.

Clouds were coming over when I was setting up the chrony. He asked if he couuld try it (he could have if the bloody Little River gale hadnt blown it over after 2 shots) I told him he could if it worked but sometimes it was unreliable if not enough light

"what has sunlight got to do with it" I explained how they work. "wow, you have a weird one, all the others work with magnets detecting the bullets" :lol:

He was a nice young bloke though!!!
jeffk
22-250 Remington

Post by jeffk »

trevort wrote:He was a nice young bloke though!!!
Well, life would be boring without such people.... :roll:
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

A couple of years ago, a young fella was on the bench next to me at Belmont, he was spewing as he couldn't get a group with his 'bells and whistles' 308 (a tacticool, uber scoped monster, admittedly that I drooled over).

He has shot about half a box of ammo, and not hit the target, and the noise was horrific. I got one of his once fired cases when he got up and walked away, headstamp said WIN 243!!!!

The doop had been bragging about haow accurate his rifle was, and couldn't even get the right ammo to feed it!!!

Chrispy
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

i was at a bbq once talking to this fella about shootin our conversation didnt last for long once he started telling me he could shoot pigs and foxes at 400m with his 22 hornet ,i still could not resist asking him did he handload to which he replied no the factory ammo goes as good as my mates 22.250 so why bother..
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

jeffk wrote:Now be fair, he might be the worlds best marksman and doper of the wind. Or he could be shit at judging distance... :?
I use to have a fox cut out of steel plate, set up in the paddock at 200 mtrs on the mark. I asked a lot of visitors how far away it was and most said 300-350 mtrs, Trevort got it right first time.
I once worked with a bloke who's father could shoot rabbits at 500 yards with his 303 :lol: :lol: he wouldn't believe me that you can't see them with the human eye past about 150-200 yards. :roll:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

and poked a hole through its chest with a 70gn nbt IIRC Steve!!!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

trevort wrote:and poked a hole through its chest with a 70gn nbt IIRC Steve!!!
And no one else has done it since. :D :wink:
jeffk
22-250 Remington

Post by jeffk »

Knackers wrote:I use to have a fox cut out of steel plate, set up in the paddock at 200 mtrs on the mark. I asked a lot of visitors how far away it was and most said 300-350 mtrs, Trevort got it right first time.
I'm OK'ish up to 200m as I can think of two football (soccer) fields end on end...but after that, I'm hopeless and the ballistics are so critical you really are into either laser rangefinder or lucky shot territory depending on method chosen.

Oh, and if you know of the whereabouts of that 500m .303 bunny gun, there's cash waiting....once I see it shoot a group, that is! :mrgreen: :roll:
17MachIV
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by 17MachIV »

yeah, it is amazing the number of people that can head shoot rabbits at 300mts plus which spotlighting and foxes out to 450-500 mts again whilst spotlighting, man I need one of those lights.

And the off the shoulder shots at extreme ranges on small targets, I must get some shooting lessons off these guys.

Steve