20 practical cometh and destroyeth

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Re: 20 practical cometh and destroyeth

Post by GriMo »

.223 necked down to 20cal

If memory serves correctly if you use .223 redding S dies, it just involves a different decapping pin and bushing. Doesn't need fireforming or neck turning etc.
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

GriMo wrote:.223 necked down to 20cal

If memory serves correctly if you use .223 redding S dies, it just involves a different decapping pin and bushing. Doesn't need fireforming or neck turning etc.
now i will ask the 2nd question?

can you use ex-mil 5.56 cases taking into account that you can fire
5.56 in a .223
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Hi Marco, yes you could. Bear in mind Mil stuff has a crimp to the primer pocket which should be swaged out before reloading. Mil brass has a smaller internal volume so you need to allow for that ie mil cases would need their own load development, don't just swap from commercial brass to military stuff and use the same load.
I have a bucket full of (free) ADI 5.56 brass, just waiting on a case tumbler to arrive...
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Now because the military brass is thicker.... can you run hotter loads in them or higher pressures? I read something a while ago that the military(US at least) had to de tune the loads by a fair bit due to ammo finding it's way into civilian rifles. Now I don't believe the velocities they were saying (4300-34500ft/sec) maybe there is some truth to it.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

On another note Brad, have you tried to have a reduced/low velocity load for the .20? I reckon it could be a good for a low noise bunny buster as well as a long range fox killer. I am thinking about selling the .17HMR to do a project.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Its the one reason why i sold the hmr mate. You compare prices for reloading etc with factory hmr ammo and its the same if not better (for us in WA anyway)

Havent done it yet im having too much fun smacking things full steam.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah the hmr has not come out since the .223 moved in and getting too pricey to just plink with now. Plus the trigger is crap. (marlin). Let me know if you get around to doing some low powe loads. would be good to have a rabbit round and a fox exploder with the one gun. Not that the .223 could not do that but hey toys are cool.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

The way I see it mate, is that if its further out and i cant hit it with the 22lr up to 100m, then im on a property big enough to use full power 20 practical loads.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah fair enough mate. I was sort of thinking about lower noise but not so much of a problem as I have found. Seems the bunnies don't mind the odd loud bang.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Especially when their brain exits their head quicker than the thought to run away can enter....

Last 3 trips out it hasnt missed a shot when in my hands. I really love this little rifle.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Hehe cool! Yeah getting better myself now I have put a few down the pipe. Takes a while to get used to shooting a new rifle(well me anyway). Need to get out in daylight more to find the longer range ones to get better at that. Grass is still longish here and the spotlight won't pick 'em up.
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

Brad Y wrote:... I really love this little rifle.
Brad - they're a beautiful thing aren't they??!!