Dreaming What to Do.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Dreaming What to Do.

Post by kjd »

I'm thinking of changing my win Mod 70 22-250 to something different. .

I want a steady shooting platform for out to 500 or so yards but I wan't to be able to carry the rifle about the place on foot. So I guess thats a medium weight varminter.

I don't want to bother mucking around with wildcat cartridges as I'm sure there will be a factory cartridge out there to suit my needs.

I want to be able to use this for bunnies to goat sized critters and I just don't know the diameter or the cartridge.

I'm thinking a 243win would be a good choice but I am also thinking a 260rem would also be a good choice for this. Then what about a 6mmbr? The other option is a 6.5x47.
I will probably put a 4-16 or 6-24 or something in a range where I can wind down for spotlighting or hunting in thicker stuff if I have to.

Now with the barrel I'm thinking a ruger VT barrel might do the trick or at least a MAB or Maddco of a similar profile to the VT barrel.

With the stock I don't know what to use for what is essentially a walk around varminter.

Its an interesting project I think and I look forward to your comments.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Re: Dreaming What to Do.

Post by dave »

Just a thought, seen as im sure you have 22-250 cases what about either a 22-250AI or 6-250. I know they are hardly stock factory rounds but just thought id give them a mention!
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

Keith go for the 6 BR. Easy to load for, excellent accuracy .low recoil and muzzle blast. Would make a good alrounder.

Buy something in .243 and get shane to run the 6 BR reamer in to it. A Tikka T3 would work well as the single stack mags work well with the BR case. My Remmington action 6 BR didn't feed that well .

A friend turned his factory Rem 243 in to a 6 BR and can shoot 55 grain to 90 grain bullets with great accuracy

Regards

Chris
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

When my .243AI wears out, I'll be going 6x47Lapua.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Keith thinks that running brass thru a FL die before you fire it is complicated widcat hocus pocus.

My 6/250 will be a 6x47l too when the barrel goes.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

jeffk wrote:When my .243AI wears out, I'll be going 6x47Lapua.
That's advance planning, how many shots fired to date ? You just got the thing, I am going to start calling you AI soon.
:lol:

Keith the calibres you pick all seem large to me for a varminter, I have a 6mmbr and while a nice round I cry when I loose the brass. My vote is for a .204 the brass is cheaper than .223 !

Whoops I just read the bit about 500 yards, then I would go 6/250 based on the fact you have the base calibre anyway.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Owen, he'd have to spend $30 on an expander and thats wildcatting too!

Sorry Keith, I'm being a little bitch again aren't I :P
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

trevort wrote:Owen, he'd have to spend $30 on an expander and thats wildcatting too!

Sorry Keith, I'm being a little bitch again aren't I :P
Hahaha you are.

But it doesn't matter. I thought of the 6-250 but I just don't see what it does that the 243 doesn't? Ok its a lil more efficient with powder but thats all I can see.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

6-250AI :twisted:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

if you dont want to send heavier 6mm pills as fast as you can you could argue that you dont need as much powder as the 243 burns. Since I use 70gn nbts that was my thought and reasoning behind the 6/250. I love the rifle and the calibre delivers what its supposed to. I run it flat out and see the primer pockets telling me I'll be lucky to get 8 firings and I've got cracks on a few of the necks in some Norma brass (yes I could anneal to prevent more). I reckon the 6/47l has similar capacity with better brass. And I'll stop the ute and send out a search party for any of my brass so it wont make much difference if its 6x47L. It will be when the barrel wears out.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

wifecallsmegrumpy wrote:
jeffk wrote:When my .243AI wears out, I'll be going 6x47Lapua.
That's advance planning, how many shots fired to date ? You just got the thing, I am going to start calling you AI soon.
:lol:
Says the person with the spare barrel for his 6BR that's fired even less rounds than my .243 :wink:
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Keith, you should be able to whip the magazine block out of that action which will make it into a standard length capable rifle - then you can use a REAL 6mm cartridge, the .240 Weatherby Magnum. Bung on a Tobler barrel and end up with something like my 70 supergrade....that's a 28" barrel and it shoots flat.
Attachments
DSC_0123 (Large).JPG
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

HiWall wrote:Keith, you should be able to whip the magazine block out of that action which will make it into a standard length capable rifle - then you can use a REAL 6mm cartridge, the .240 Weatherby Magnum. Bung on a Tobler barrel and end up with something like my 70 supergrade....that's a 28" barrel and it shoots flat.
very nice!
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

HiWall
that looks sweet

KJD
chris thomas wrote:Keith go for the 6 BR. Easy to load for, excellent accuracy .low recoil and muzzle blast. Would make a good alrounder.
Buy something in .243 and get shane to run the 6 BR reamer in to it. A Tikka T3 would work well as the single stack mags work well with the BR case.
A friend turned his factory Rem 243 in to a 6 BR and can shoot 55 grain to 90 grain bullets with great accuracy
Regards
Chris
This is very good advice- it's what I did with my Tikka 595 and I have posted the groups i'm getting with it now it's been made into a 6BR

P
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

If you are going to get a custom rifle built consider making the most of the opportunity to get it in a cartridge and barrel twist optimised for your purpose but with a reasonable barrel life.
If you want to keep being a Wildcat Luddite just go with the 260 Rem ! brass will be much cheaper than 6.5x47L, factory ammo is available, and it's got the legs to reach out to 500m.
Or you could go with the dreaded fast twist barrel in 22-250 and use those heavy .22 pills but 6/250 would give you more choice of bullets.
A .308 would do it, heaps of bullet choice but more trajectory to manage.
There must be something going for those wildcats out there - why else would people bother ?