Trigger weight?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Trigger weight?

Post by dave »

What does everyone roughly have on their varmint rifles??? Im purchasing a 223 which will later be turned into something else and was thinking of upgrading the trigger. Do you think 14oz should be alright, im used to very light triggers but im hoping that should be fine. What do you guys think or should i go lighter???

Cheers
Dave
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Trigger weight?

Post by trevort »

mine are 10 oz and most that pick them up have trouble for the first few shots. I took the new T3 down as far as the factory adjustment goes, think that might be 1 1/2lb but wouldnt bet my life on it. Its very usable. I would be happy with 14oz
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

go with what your comfortable shooting with.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

My HB varminters all run at 10 oz as well, 1.5 lbs is my preference for walkabouts and around 2lb for hunting guns.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Yeah i prefer them a fraction lighter, im just seeing if i can get away with 14oz that way i dont have to fork out more $ for the better rifle basix trigger :lol: basically im being a tight ass cause im back from the uk and have sweet fa $ :wink:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Im a big fan of keeping them light. But its all personal preference really.

Just on a side note, to those of you who run different weights for different "classes" of rifles, why is that so? I personally havent ever understood it as i like to have all my triggers roughly the same weight so from gun to gun it feels the same.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:Im a big fan of keeping them light. But its all personal preference really.

Just on a side note, to those of you who run different weights for different "classes" of rifles, why is that so? I personally havent ever understood it as i like to have all my triggers roughly the same weight so from gun to gun it feels the same.
I like a fraction heavier on my hunting rifles as well. The reason why is that I don't feel having a really light trigger is advantageous when you are on foot and not completely relaxed and have to take a quick shot or a shot offhand or leaning off something. I'd rather not accidently fire the shot off due to a light trigger if I wasn't 100% ready to shoot. It is different with a varmint rifle as I feel that most of the shooting is in an environment when you are consistently taking a shot off the same type of rest whether that be bipods and prone or out of a car rest. I just feel having a little bit of extra weight (not much) on a hunting rifle gives you a more positive trigger pull whereas a really light trigger can make you fire just moments before you were ready to and not place the shot perfectly especially if your heart is beating hard or you are offhand or the like.
Not only that but with a hunting rifle you don't need the accuracy of an uber-light trigger. Well thats my reason anyway. But as you know GriMo my triggers aren't hugely difference but I do prefer a heavier trigger on my hunting rifle.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Same reasons as Keith. Chasing pigs through lignum swamp with a .30/30 and sitting under a tree with an Esky and a HB varmint rifle totally different. Last thing you want when you are puffing and panting from pushing through water, scrub and mud is a very light trigger.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

A single set trigger is the perfect option for a hunting rifle. Flick the trigger forward when you can have a nice relaxed shot and when you need a heavier trigger its there.
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

I reckon you Guys are nuts. :lol:

If my fat fingers go anywhere near a Trigger, under 2lbs, BANG!!
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

kjd wrote:A single set trigger is the perfect option for a hunting rifle. Flick the trigger forward when you can have a nice relaxed shot and when you need a heavier trigger its there.
See, i find the set trigger a gimmick. I had the choice of either the CZ 453 or the 452 and went the 452. Cant fathom why you would want the same gun to have 2 different weights of pull. one of them that you would be used to, the other that your not. Seems to be over complicating a situation.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:
kjd wrote:A single set trigger is the perfect option for a hunting rifle. Flick the trigger forward when you can have a nice relaxed shot and when you need a heavier trigger its there.
See, i find the set trigger a gimmick. I had the choice of either the CZ 453 or the 452 and went the 452. Cant fathom why you would want the same gun to have 2 different weights of pull. one of them that you would be used to, the other that your not. Seems to be over complicating a situation.
See, you obviously haven't used one much. :P

The CZ 30-06 I had was great to use the set trigger at the range when doing load development or sighting in. Just a touch of the trigger and you are shooting pretty precisely and boy could that gun shoot.

My theory is that I don't always want a light trigger in a hunting rifle but there are times where you want a light trigger when making a longish precise shot. Doesn't take much to get use to the two different trigger weights. I'm not saying it is essential but I liked it when I had a rifle with a set trigger. I think for a hunting rifle it gives you the best of both worlds. But to each his own. In saying this I don't think its needed in a 22lr.
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

ahhh, but i have used one and dont feel the need to ever own one. The extra expense in some makes and models just makes it even less attractive. I cant see how there is added precision using 2 different trigger weights then there would be with one that your comfotable with and aware of.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:ahhh, but i have used one and dont feel the need to ever own one. The extra expense in some makes and models just makes it even less attractive. I cant see how there is added precision using 2 different trigger weights then there would be with one that your comfotable with and aware of.
Well thats fine, I never paid extra for the set trigger as it came standard on the 550 I think they still do. If you can't see how there could possibly be added precision by having a very light trigger when shooting groups or making a long shot you are pretty blinded. When I was doing load Dev it was to me a valuable feature and also when I was making hard shots from a good rest.
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

or your blinded by your stubborn attitude and damned if someone doesn't respect your word as gospel ;)