20 practical cometh and destroyeth

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

20 practical cometh and destroyeth

Post by Brad Y »

Got to pick up my long awaited 20 practical today. Been looking forward to this for a while now and today I managed to get some time to do a few things and one was pick it up, license it and run the barrel in.

After all the paperwork was done, I headed out to the family farm to do the tedious bit of running a new barrel in. Of course by the time I got to the 3 shot groups and there was no copper showing (only a whisker in the first couple of shots) I decided to set up a target at 50m and see what she could do. I know 50m aint much for a high powered centrefire but I couldnt be bothered with 100m. Well 3 shots went into one big ragged hole. That was pretty sweet. I zero'd it for 50m and with a quick check on the ballistic chart I carry on my phone I knew it should be close on the money at 200m. I was only shooting really light loads of 24.5gr 2206H and 39gr SBK's so I knew it wasnt running at full steam but hey its accurate... With a bit of daylight left I wandered over to my bunny patch a convenient 2 min walk away and found a couple of targets. First one I put on the chest and touched the go lever. Got to watch some bits spray about and saw him fall over. 14th shot through the barrel- first on something furry- and I had some paddock pizza. Went and retrieved it and set back up. Soon another two came out so I thought it was time for a test. The crosshairs of the bushnell went onto one unlucky rabbits noggin and he promptly fell over. Waited for his mate but the mozzies had got onto me so I thought it was time for home. Happy with 2 from 2 with under 20 shots down it. The trueflite ultra match grade barrel seems to like the little sierras and had fouled very little so far.

Bring on load development!
Attachments
09092009369.jpg
09092009368.jpg
09092009365.jpg
09092009367.jpg
09092009364.jpg
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Re: 20 practical cometh and destroyeth

Post by Brad Y »

Last pic of a bunny with a severe lack of thinking matter not to mention acute popeye
Attachments
09092009370.jpg
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

:shock: :D !!!

If you're unhappy with that... well, better start taking up the drinking, smoking and bad women thing :P
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Are you serious??? A gun will never give you the troubles a woman will :roll: :roll: :roll: .....
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

you mean you can do those things and shoot meaty?

Great stuff Brad.
Manna13
.22 WMR

Post by Manna13 »

great stuff brad
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Thanks mate, I didnt do much though, it was put together well and works better. I just point and pull the little lever on the bottom.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

your fucken shitting me its raining there im not coming to help u now i might stay up here in the warmth but then again ur killing shit hmmm warmth or killing shit hmmm haha i guess ill see you saturday arvo sometime
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Nice Image

What action and stock are you using?
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

Simpson wrote:Nice Image

Yea, nice indeed and what scope is that??

I have a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 currently on mine but I think it's probably too big. The 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II was just a bit underpowered though. I'm thinking a nice 4-16x50 4200 Elite would be the optimum.
andrewbron
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by andrewbron »

haha that last bunny should go back to the doctor they sown his ears back on in the wrong place :wink:

very nice rig you have there
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

Brad Y wrote:Are you serious??? A gun will never give you the troubles a woman will :roll: :roll: :roll: .....
(sorry to any girls and under-age kids that read this before I get started on this - BTW - this is officially a NSFW warning ;-) )

The gun gives you: developing the 'perfect' load (which, is NEVER perfect, no matter what nice primers or powder or projectiles that you buy for them)
A woman (casual one though :P) gives you: a night of fun, whilst, might not be perfect, better than watching the late night shopping adverts on tv whilst perusing the latest Target (or Playboy if you're a 'high flyer' :P ) catalogue and well... yea :P

The gun gives you: hearing damage if you don't wear 'protection'
The woman gives you: 'other' damage if you don't wear 'protection' ... and if she is unclean

The gun gives you: the sweet smell of gun powder in the morning / afternoon / evening / when ever the hell you want it to
The woman gives you: if a woman doesn't smell sweet, well, just go and have your own fun then :)

The gun gives you: If you don't have 24 to 26 inches of length, well, you ain't getting to that sweet spot my man
The girl gives you: If you have LESS than 24 to 26 inches of length and you have a bit of soldering iron precision with a few crucial tools, she WILL get to that sweet spot my man ;)

The gun gives you: it needs a bipod or front rest AND rear bag for stability to 'shoot straight'
The girl gives you: She's got arms and knees and she KNOWS how to use them :D

The gun gives you: if the stock isn't 100%, you wont get the results you want (ask AckleyImproved about this :P )
The girl gives you: well... hehehe sorry again to any girls that read this forum about getting their man to 'shoot straight'

The gun gives you: a highly tuned, precision trigger that will go off when YOU want it to (or when you flinch hehe)
The girl gives you: a well tuned, precision trigger that goes off when it is well and ready, disregarding whether you're ready or not lol

The gun gives you: repeat shots in a repeater configuration
The girl gives you: multiple orgasms ( :D !!!!!)
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Simpson wrote:Nice Image

nfi the stock - but read his sig line
Tikka lsa 55 is the action
Langers
Favourite Cartridge: .243

Post by Langers »

Nice work with the new toy dude, Can't wait to see it in action. Will have to get out for a bash with the new toys after harvest me thinks. Keen to get up Quinny's way and have a go at some of the cats and dogs he is keeping warm for us. Should not be to long now before I can go and see Tosh and pick up my new stick.

Chat to ya later.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Hey man, yeh sounds good to me. I was on the phone to tosh as I touched the first shot off at the bunny and it went splat. He was rather impressed yet pissed he wasnt there at the same time haha. Should be good to get your stick up and running and I know quinny has his on the way too- unless he already has it. Your more than welcome to come down this way and have a crack too.

Fellas the stock is a Geoff Slee varmint stock- wide and flat fore end and extra palm swell. The standard tikka 55 action stock is quite thin for more of a walkaround gun, but this will mostly be shot off the bipod so I asked for a more of a "varmint" stock. Its stained with a black timber stain that I got from Bunnings.

Scope is a bushnell elite 4200 4-16x40 side focus. Very crisp scope and clear all the way through the magnification range.