need some help and input building a new rifle

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

need some help and input building a new rifle

Post by doidge5781 »

Ok so i owned a m38 6.5x55 a long time ago which i loved but i cracked the stock and the cock on closing just done my head in. Now since this rifle many rifles have come and gone through my safe but none nearly as good as that m38. So it has come full circle i wont a 6.5 again i looked at the cz and tikka t3 but not really rapt in them so i think maybe i have to build my own so what should i do. The rifle will be used exclusively for pigs,goats with half walking half out of vehicle shooting.

-Buy cz or tikka and live with it
-buy m38 and try and find a decent stock for it(not easy)
-Buy remy 700 win 70 action and build from there (most expensive)

Im up for suggestions on any other choices i might have or if some one has a synthetic stocked 6.5 with a burnt barrel or an action that could be converted to 6.5 let me know
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Re: need some help and input building a new rifle

Post by stinkitup »

I have a 96 old swede, its living in a ramline stock,has been bedded, the usualy barrel lop to similar length of the 38, timney trigger and cock on opening conversion, all done at home. It aint pretty but its always the go to, don't worry about the stock getting scratched etc. Its used spotlighting in the patrol and for walking in the forests.

As for the modern actions the tikka's do have a good rep and so do the winchester m70's from reading around. Of course you could probably get a sako too or find a good 98 action to build one on that can run some higher pressure's although some rate the swedish 96/38's as a strong action compared to some of the copies.
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Ive never seen a m70 chambered in 6.5 that would be nice if american gunmakers chambered for euro calibers. My m38 was also in ramline stock pretty much the only option out there atm,i owned it when i knew alot less about guns and didnt know you could get a trigger assembly and cock on open kit for these. I sold it cos i cracked the stock in half shooting over a fence post when the bipod hit the post that gun cost me $450 with 4-12 bushnell scope and i got 200 rounds of norma match grade ammo with it i still have all the brass and prob 140 rounds still loaded with 120gr sierra hollowpoints i shot everything with it from rabbits to pigs. Since that rifle ive had everything form .222 to 308 but i still have a soft spot for that gun and wish i never sold it.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Geez 200 rounds of Norma match, that much brass would almost cost 450 these days. Not sure if the new incarcation of the m70 is available here in 6.5 but it definitely was before if you search the web their are alot of guys in the states that their 6.swedes are m70's and they get pretty good velocities out of them, above what the old girl runs anyway.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

love accurate rifles. love custom built rifles. A medium game hunting rifle, well unless you want to snipe from 300+ m then why spend the money for custom grade accuracy?

Unless the answer is of course "because I can" or 'because I want" as all Ausvarminters know these are the only sound logical reasons required to fork out the dollars on a custom!
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Trevor T wrote:love accurate rifles. love custom built rifles. A medium game hunting rifle, well unless you want to snipe from 300+ m then why spend the money for custom grade accuracy?

Unless the answer is of course "because I can" or 'because I want" as all Ausvarminters know these are the only sound logical reasons required to fork out the dollars on a custom!

The custom route for me is more about configuration than anything Tikka T3 (thin barrel "plasticy" stock) Cz550 virtually same as tikka,M38/96 only really one stock available (ramline).

I want a medium weight barrel with synthetic stock and accurate enough to shoot at spotlighting ranges on foxes and roos as well light enough to carry for pigs.
This for me will be my away from home rifle i have my howa .223 for around home and want just one gun to take with me when i go away for pigs but still be able to hammer anything else that comes my way. I would also want one load to suit all my game from foxes to pigs i was thinking of 120gr ballistic tips are these any good on pigs.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

I've used the 100gr Nosler BT's on everything up to Pigs and they stop most pigs, Probably for alround the 120's would be better or try the 129 hornady sst's the 140's shoot good out of the old girl.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Look for any modern strong front locking action in long action configuration- that will be suitable for making a good 6.5x55 on

if you can find an older model 695 Tikka action - they are very nice for making 6.5x55 on
I'm a 6.5 nut and thats what mine is built on
rare as hens teeth but worth it if- and it's a massive IF- you can find one

Another option is a G series serial number Winchester model 70
most of those were actually long action with magazine and bolt travel blocks in them reguardless of what cartridge they were chambered in.

there are plenty of these actions arround
talk to a gunsmith to confirm anything else that needs doing
BUT AFIK
to convert to long action from short is a new follower and mag spring, remove the mag block and trim down the bolt travel block to allow longer bolt travel
it's a great modern strong action that will allow you to run Euro - CIP- spec brass at propper pressures and get the most out of your 6.5x55

another option is to look at is the Tikka T3 Varmint- the barrel isn't really that heavy a profile and the plastic stock has more sections added to it to make it more user friendly- I understand where you are coming from with the hunter sport stocks on the T3

FUBAR after a day at the hospital- ask more question and I will try to answer them as best I can

P
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Thanx for your help OGRE i see what u mean about the t3 varmint it looks much nicer priced between $1250-1450 depending who it comes from IF i can get one in 6.5 its def a worthy contender.

What are your thoughts on m38'96'98 ive found a few synthetic stocked ones around at decent prices that i can re-barrel with a modern barrel in any twist and profile i want.

From a price point what is my best option my budget will be around $2000 which means i can buy the tikka and put a decent scope on it or go the re-barrel option what are the pro's and cons for each.

M38/96 with synthetic stock $500
cock on open and adjustable trigger assm $180
re-barrel-?
float and bed-?
optics- undecided leupy or vortex 4-12x40 or 50

Also what loads to use for all round use i used 120gr sierra hp in my original gun they were amazing was looking at maybe 120gr BT or 129gr hornady which powder type is best used for the 6.5?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

My vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 arrived today. Very good first impressions but the registry are being painful so it wont be mounted on the T3 for a while.

I think you will be pleased if you buy one. If you dont buy Vortex then import your scope and dont get ripped off by our 'system'. Opticzone are terrific and I have a scope on the way from Midsouth too
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Bloke I have a Bushnell Elite 4-12x40 for sale :wink: Check out the for sale section
doidge5781
.222 Remington

Post by doidge5781 »

Trevor T wrote:My vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 arrived today. Very good first impressions but the registry are being painful so it wont be mounted on the T3 for a while.

I think you will be pleased if you buy one. If you dont buy Vortex then import your scope and dont get ripped off by our 'system'. Opticzone are terrific and I have a scope on the way from Midsouth too

Hey trevor ive always wondered about importing scopes do u need any type of permit or paperwork in order to import a scope would P$#s me off if it involved paperwork.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Ordering from overseas is easy as mate. No paperwork needed for scope (depending on price, if you go over $1200?, you have to pay import duties etc), and most of the scopes i have came direct from TOZ

I have never run into an issue, but in saying that my last purchase was a viper 6.5-20X50 from antony at vortex. Its local, priced very well for what you get, lifetime warranty and Antony is a pleasure to deal with. Even if he is a Kiwi :P
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

I have a T3 in 6.5 x 55 and it's great. It shoots everything from 85 grainers to 140 grainers in to tiny little groups.

With 120 grain HPBT's i have shot groups under 50mm at 300m.

Slick bolt,great trigger, single stack removable mags ,light to carry and excellent accuracy

Regards

Chris Thomas
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Just to add to the T3 thing, I have a T3 Hunter in 30-06. The stock is not bad at all and has a decent colour to it.

Yes it has a thin barrel but on a hunting rifle this is a plus rather than a negative. It is quite light, not sure actual weight but topped off with a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 it was clearly lighter than trevort's CZ 300wsm. This actually meant that the felt recoil from the 30-06 was noticably more than the 300wsm but this is relative as neither are unshootable to the average person.

If you wanted a heavier or longer barrel you have space to open the channel out a little bit but I would then look at adding some weight to the but of the stock to keep the balance. As it comes from the factory my T3 is one of the easiest point and shoot rifles I have shot.

I like my T3

Dr G