.25-06 Varmint rifle options???

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
dave
7mm08 Rem

.25-06 Varmint rifle options???

Post by dave »

Hey all,

Heading back to oz in a month now so im getting an itchy trigger finger as the safe at home is empty again, so just getting sorted so i can order a rifle as soon as i land. SO my question is, are there anything in the way of factory rifles in a varmint profile out there off the shelf?

From memory tikka do one and also rem senderos, but the latter seem as rare as hens teeth. If anyones ot any suggestions that would be good! Also is there anything wrong with marlin 17hmrs? For all the shooting i do in vic i think these two calibres would have everything covered!

Cheers
Dave
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Re: .25-06 Varmint rifle options???

Post by GriMo »

Ruger is your friend, VT in 25-06.

Stainless laminate and nice long barrel.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

lol just visited the site cause i had a funny feeling they did thanks grimo! Any idea what they are worth? Ive lost all contact with shooting at home so no idea what its like, think the tikkas are going for about $1400ish maybe???
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

Ummm, tikka is prob around 1200. Ruger i would imagine about the same.

http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=7807

shame you missed on that one mate
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Yeah bummer, if they are around the same price id be daft to get a ruger over a tikka yeah? Ive owned a ruger vt re chambered in 6br and was a good accurate rifle but arnt tikkas suppose to be the bees knees out of the box?
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

Ill put some pics up of my .243 vt out of the box using factory ammo. Cloverleafs just fine. Longer barrel so get a bit more speed. Heavier barrel i think. I'm a big fan of the Rugers, and havent used a tikka so could be biased. But for the money i think they are a great bit of gear.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Cheers mate, that would be great! The one i had i put in a rifle basix trigger and it was so crisp it was awesome! So yeah may go that way, any replacement stocks for them??? Not a big fan of laminate timber!
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

VSSF mate, cant go wrong!
Attachments
shootingpics 011.jpg
new rifle 003.jpg
new rifle 002.jpg
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

you can get the vt in a hogue stock
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

Ruger Targets004.jpg

that was a group shot with a bog stock standard Ruger M77 in .260

unmodded VT in .243 with some basic load development. 38 grns of 2208 behind a 75 vmax
Ruger Targets010.jpg

and this is a 5 shotter with 95grn remington accutips. Shots around it are from sighting in.

Ruger Targets002.jpg
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Go the Ruger mate.

I seriously love those VT's and am even considering trading the winchester 222 in on one. Not sure yet but we shall see.

Grimo's Ruger is a beautiful rifle and shoots brilliantly as you can see. My 260 ruger M77mk II has potential too.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Yeah i had a rem sendero in 25-06 and it was an awesome bit of kit. The rugers i dont mind and the shooting ability is more than acceptable, will get some quotes and go from there. Cheers fellas will see how i go :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Hey mate you asked about the marlin. I have a stainless synth one and while I like it there are some things that shit me about it too. First of all the magazine.....IT SUCKS ARSE!!!! It is fiddly to insert into the rifle as it has this bastard "c"section steel thing on it that has to go into a groove and until you get used to it forget a quick reload. Second is the bloody mag rattles too. Not so if you walk is makes noise but if you touch it while getting ready for a shot it can make a noise loud enough that a fox can hear. I also had trouble early on with the odd round not ejecting properly. I traced it back to when loading the mag, it is tricky to see when you have 7 rounds in there(esp at night) and if you loos count it is really easy to dint a case trying to get another one in. Now I am aware of it no probs.

The trigger is heavy as all hell. Should have got mine worked on but never got time and now I am used to it.

It is very accurate however and placing shots is easy. I don't know if you are familiar with the calibre but I love it. I am debating however selling the HMR and getting a centrefire and going back to the old .22 rimfire. Much cheaper to shoot and the HMR is not such a huge step in power that it could sort of fill in for a centrefire. Shot all the stupid foxes in my area!

If you are looking into a HMR I would suggest spending a little more on a CZ have fired a mates one and that thing was brilliant!
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

I have never heard anyone ever say a nice word about the marlin mag. They arent exactly cheap to buy surely they can invest the cash in fixing it. the extra 3 cents in material seems silly not to do it
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

I still reckon the Remmy! :wink: