Looking to go centrefire

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Looking to go centrefire

Post by Plowboy »

G'day fellas well as I said in my first post, I will be looking to get myself into centrefire shooting soon as the reddogs around here are starting to figure out that 150m is about as close to me as they can be alive at! I am looking at something that shoots nice and flat, won't break the bank or my shoulder! :rifle2: It will get 90% of it's work on foxes with the odd roo and goat getting a look in. There are a few houses within shooting range here but noise is not really a problem as we all shoot around here and it's too far from melbourne for greenies! I am not a reloader but may look into it in the future but that would be a ways off. I was suggested a 22-250 by a dealer but before that was thinking .223 just 'cos of it's popularity. I am not the dedicated varmenteer that a few of you are here but just a cocky with an intence dislike of foxes. I have a "hummer" for rabbits and foxes in close but need somthing to spread the love beyond 200m. :auto: Help would be great!

If I could get a Rifle/scope package for under a $1000 it would be ideal and as I said I am not fanatical on my shooting so not looking for anything top shelf. If it will shoot accurate enough to kill a fox consitantly I will be happy. Not looking second hand atm 'cos you just don't know what a person has put a gun through before you get it.

Thanks in advance! :rifle:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Re: Looking to go centrefire

Post by GriMo »

Hey Champ,

If your looking for now something in the stevens/howa range might be what your looking at.

http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/Howa ... ning_Hogue

1K for a scope/rifle package might be cutting it a bit fine. At night you may end up with a scope thats a little under what you really want as fair as light gathering/transmission goes.

Maybye look for something in the ruger range (Stainless synth M77 in .223 retails for about $1190), can prob talk your dealer down to 1100 or so and then give antony from vortex a call. Have a look at something in the crossfire range. Local distributor, well made and with a lifetime warranty you cant really go wrong.

If your budget is strictly 1K the Howa's do shoot nice out of the Box apparently(havent used one personally so cant comment on accuracy,slickness or trigger) and retail for about $850. Couple that with a crossfire in 4-16 and you should come in pretty close to the 1K mark, maybe a touch over but it depends on your negotiating skills.

Alternatively go the blued($660) rather then stainless(850) and you will make it with a bit left over for a trigger job
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

If your not going to reload then go the 223 because you can get bulk buy ammo cheaper then most other calibers.
$1K will limit your optics but as Grimo said a vortex crossfire would be good(lifetime warranty).The rifle will probably be a Howa or perhaps a Marlin for that money.Have a browse over used guns website.There are occassionally bargins to be had there.

Reloading will cost a bit to set up but in the long run will save you money and allow better loads.

A good second hand 204 would be an option if you go the reloading route.

Barrel life on both rifles is good.
cheers,
Macca
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Hi plowboy, check out http://usedguns.com.au/used_rifles.html#cf243 there are some good 222,223,204 to look at in or around your price range.Some have scopes,all be it cheap ones but you could replace them down the track.Just another option.
Macca
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Tend to agree with you Macca, Second hand will allow for a wider option of some nicer gear.

Realistically unless its had alot of hot loads a .223 or .222 will be a winner. Loading will open up a hell of alot more options and give you better accuracy and fun in the long run. Ultimately if factory .223 is your only choice. Every gunshop in the country would have a packet onhand if you need it. Cheap to feed and for the game your chasing more then adequate.
deekay
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by deekay »

223 is the go mate, cheap to feed & the ammo is available every where.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

As the boys said mate go the .223 if your not going to reload, otherwise Id suggest the 22-250.
My cousin was using that wolf ammo in his .223 CZ 527, it shot real well and at the time was only $8 per box of 20.
Welcome to the forum aswell champ.

P.S. when I read your name I got Rodney Rude stuck in my head....... "he's a well hung plowboy, sneaking up on his horse...................................." :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Haha forgot all about that song! :lol: :lol: :lol: I was more refering to the fact that I am a farmer not the beastiality! The only think I like to put in animals is a bullet! :wink: Won't shy away from the well hung bit though! :lol:

Thanks for the comment fellas, I am not really wanting a .222 as everybody else has got one! .223s are not overly popular here for some reason maybe it's the lack of roos.... :? Just out of interest, when shooting at a fox at say 250m with a .223, how much elevation would you use? I have never shot one that I can remember. Basically I want somthing that I am not having to have a calculator to work out where to aim.

On the second hand side of things I suppose I have never really thought of it too much. I have heard that Howas are good as a few people I know have them. I am looking a stainless synthetic just for it's rugged-ness and easier care.

On the scope well think I know what you mean! I have a nighthunter on my hummer and I am not a fan! I hope it will get better once I get the spotty set up but it's hard to get a see out of it at night.

With reloading, I have never even looked into it but if it seems a lot of blokes do it. How much price difference is there and how much to set up? Not overly concerned with ammo cost as in reality the ammount of shots I would be letting off would be only a few a months. The hummer would get all of the rabbit work and the biggy would be only for long range foxes or bigger stuff. Anyway thank heaps for the advice I don't really get to talk shooting much around here. All of my mates are shotty shooters
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

223's would outnumber 222's 3 to 1 at least.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

No around here for some reason the .222 is king. Buggered if I know why. More of a shotgun area around here.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Amongst shooters or farmers mate?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Well the shooters are the farmers mate! However most shooting done here by hunters is quail shooting so yeah shotties are the norm. I like quail apart from when they smack you in the chest riding the bike! Don't shoot em just killing ferals is for me.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

You should take a look at the stevens range of rifles too mate- made by savage and the aus distributors nioa have a RRP of $829 on a blued synthetic rifle with 3-9x40 scope. $734 for a bare rifle and have a look at one of these vortex 4-12x40 scopes for $260

http://www.vortexoptics.com.au/products ... gory_id=44

Thats $1000 pretty much smack bang on the mark but remember you will also need rings and bases for the scope plus a good cleaning rod, solvents, jags, brushes, oil etc.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Thanks brad I was saying $1000 for the rifle/scope and not worried about the cleaning kit cos I would buy one anyway. Hell I clean my hummer every 20 shots!

Anyone keen to say about elevation for shots at the 300m range for rifles? Narrowed it down to .223 and .22-250.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Got asked the exact same question by a cocky yesterday. Wanted something with a bit more power and range than the 22lr.
223 was the answer I gave him. Enough power and range for foxes and culling roo's, and the cheapest ammo you can find in a centrefire.