Splitting .17 HMR cases.

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
ronahl

Splitting .17 HMR cases.

Post by ronahl »

G'day guys, (and Gals I suppose).
I've just bought a new rifle in .17 HMR and have been splitting cases. From the necks down, the worst to about 1/4 of the total length of the case.
Got told it was quite common in this calibre, but I'm doubtfull, as I never heard of the problem when I was researching what I was going to buy.
I've used Hornady, Remington and Federal ammo with the same result, 10 split out of 80 fired.
I have my thoughts on the cause, but I'd like some other opinions.
Do any other users of the .17 have a simmilar problem?
Cheers, Ron.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Splitting .17 HMR cases.

Post by MISSED »

Wellcome to the world of the 17 HMR.I have an Annie HMR and have had a few split the case necks.Does not seem to matter what Branded ammo you use they all seem to do it.An easy cure I have found is to not look at the empties :wink:
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by sometime shooter »

Yeah I have a marlin that seems to split Federal cases the most, not many for Hornady or winnie super X 20 grain. Like any rimfire try some different brands of ammo.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Usually more of a problem with the cheaper rifles that don't have the tighter tolerances of some of the more expensive rifles. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw when you buy your rifle. It is the same with barrels. Loose chambers are usually the cause of splitting cases on rimfires. :( I did find Federal was the worst for splitting cases in the 17hmr.
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

I use Hornady 17grs exclusively, never had it happen.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

MISSED wrote:Wellcome to the world of the 17 HMR.I have an Annie HMR and have had a few split the case necks.Does not seem to matter what Branded ammo you use they all seem to do it.An easy cure I have found is to not look at the empties :wink:

excellent advice, just don't look.

my cz splits a few and it has no effect on accurancy what so ever. when i first got it i thought there was something wrong too but don't worry about it. i've seen a 22wmr split a few aswell and it just a characteristic of a very thin piece of brass under quite a bit of pressure. also its a rimfire case so manufactures realising that to keep cost low on an item that isn't reloadable, and therefore of no value to the shooter after its fired, they make as thin as possible. that means 1 in 8 as you've found out pass into the bit too thin side.

enjoy your hummer, she's a ripper of a cartridge.
Rick1970
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Remington

Post by Rick1970 »

Seen a few split cases from my Marlin, but to be honest i rarely check the empties.

Since all the HMR ammo is suposed to come from the CCI factory, the problem is more likely a batch problem than a brand name problem. Faulty annealing process maybe :?:
Cranky Bugga

Post by Cranky Bugga »

MISSED wrote:Wellcome to the world of the 17 HMR.I have an Annie HMR and have had a few split the case necks.Does not seem to matter what Branded ammo you use they all seem to do it.An easy cure I have found is to not look at the empties :wink:
:lol: I'll use that advice for my new Contender. Just flick out the empty cases without looking :wink:

Cheers
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

Good one Missed.

If they are flying out in the Paddock and you are getting the Bunnys, who cares?
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

I have the same problem, it seems to be fairly common.
The 17MachII is even worse, it splits from case mouth to about 2/3 of the case body.
ronahl

Post by ronahl »

That guys. Makes me feell a bit better about my purchase. It was a cheap rifle, a H&R single shot with heavy barrel and synthetic stock. Kinda like the single shots and am hoping to improve it's accuracy with some trigger work etc. Thanks again.. Cheers, Ron.