Weatherby Vanguard Red Mist

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
sarath919

Weatherby Vanguard Red Mist

Post by sarath919 »

Gday all,

Does anybody have any experience with the Vanguard Red Mist. Old mate is a Weatherby fan, and is considering getting a Red Mist in .308, as a knock around ute gun for pigs. It doesn't have to be a tack driver, but does need to be reliable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Sarath
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

mate do a search for wthby special varmint. Its just a red mist but with a tan coloured stock....

Imo, tell him to get a sps or a tikka T3. He'll be much happier with either of those than a vanguard, even if it is just a ute gun.
sarath919

Post by sarath919 »

Lowndsie wrote:mate do a search for wthby special varmint. Its just a red mist but with a tan coloured stock....

Imo, tell him to get a sps or a tikka T3. He'll be much happier with either of those than a vanguard, even if it is just a ute gun.
Lowndsie,

I hear what you are saying. If it was up to me, I'd tell him to get a T3. Thing is, all his rifles are Weatherbys. He puts the same Leupold duplex on them, and works on the theory that no matter which rifle he picks up, its going to be the same, or to quote a Thai shopkeeper - Same Same but Differant.

He is quite set in his ways, and I suppose I just wanted to know that that there was nothing inherently wrong with the rifle.

Regards

Sarath
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Hey mate, from memory lowndsie got one a while back. and if i remember correctly the trigger was shit out of the box, and the stock was flimsy as, well, a flimsy plastic stock.

It is a budget rifle, and that will obviously show.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

spend the bit extra and get the Ruger VT.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

kjd wrote:spend the bit extra and get the Ruger VT.
after all they are a ute rifle....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:
kjd wrote:spend the bit extra and get the Ruger VT.
after all they are a ute rifle....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Have you seen one shoot bad yet?
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

G,day all
Id have to say go for anything begining with "R". :wink: T3 Tikkas cycle very smoothly but I have problems with the size of the action port for single round feeding. I guess this would not be a problem if you keep a loaded mag in the glovebox :!: :idea:
Cheers Jethro.
morerams
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by morerams »

I havn't seen any inherent problems with the Vanguards, depends how fussy he is, they are like every other rifle in their price range in that they can usually benefit from bedding and floating and a trigger job, but for a knock about gun nothing is likely to break.
There are heaps of roo shooters and farmers out there abuseing their Vanguards and Howa's and getting them rebarreled instead of buying other guns, so that tells me there is not much wrong with them.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

I agree with morerams, iv'e got a howa .223 stainless, shoots sub moa after pillar bedding with 26.5 g 2208 and 50gn b/t's v/max's and blitzkings, the trigger is adjustable and the stock is crap, barrel fit to stock is a joke and the action is as slick as, better even than my winnie 670. (Groups are 5 shot I might add) Can't complain about anything except the stock, and all up with 3-9 nicko scope and shooters ridge padded gun bag (good quality) cost me about $700.00 from Cleavers in Brissie, and no they wont delete the scope and bag and just sell you the rifle for the difference, :cry: :cry:
Can't wait till I burn the barrel out and convince myself I need Shane to fit a match grade barrel and Al from corporal trading to make me a carbon fibre bench rest stock.
The action machining is first class, and I must say I was pleasently surprised at the accuracy for the money. I believe the red mist is the
same action as the howa and I dont believe you will go far wrong with one.
Regards Alpal
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

my howa action is off with shane to fit a lilja 6mm barrel to my burned out
22-250, it will be super.

-arch
sarath919

Post by sarath919 »

Cheers guys,

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Sarath
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Ive got a red mist in 22-250 and with a little work (bedding,trigger) this things shoots cheap 40 box winchesters under an inch all day! Will shoot ok out of the box but with a little work it will shoot much better.
sarath919

Post by sarath919 »

Well Guys an update.

I went and had a a look at synthetic .308's today, I was initially looking at the T3 lite, and was (willingly) talked into a Tikka T3 Varmint. Its actually a gift for a mate that did me a favour a while ago. He is a fairly big unit, and I think that the T3 Varmint will be better suited to him than the light.

Lowndsie's post on this forum regarding the the Red Mist sort of put me off the Vanguard, and his post on AHN about the T3, swayed me to the Tikka. Cheers Lowndsie.

Anyway I will post pics and a report after Easter, when we go to Cobar for a week. A big thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

Regards

Sarath
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Lowndsie's post on this forum regarding the the Red Mist sort of put me off the Vanguard, and his post on AHN about the T3, swayed me to the Tikka. Cheers Lowndsie.

Geeez mate, ud be the first person to listen to what I say!!! Ur mate will love the T3, just dont use it first or you might not want to part with it. :D

I own 2 vanguards which i'm trying to decide what to do with (probably donor actions) and Im not happy with either of them. I brought a tikka in 223 and have never looked back. In fact I have ordered a 2nd one which should be arriving any day now. The vanguards can shoot ok with some work but the Tikka's will shoot better without anywork!!! Ohhh, and did I mention that they have the best out of box factory trigger I have ever seen!!

Anyways, keep us updated how it goes. :D