AussieSteve's 577NE varminter

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: AussieSteve's 577NE varminter

Post by Con »

Thomo wrote:i think i want one!
now i just have to work out how to afford it.
Well, you throw your coins in the tin at the end of every day and book the job in now. Over 2-3 years you sell off a few other unused toys until you take delivery. $6000 all up and you should romp it in. Kind of better value for money in my opinion than an $8000 trued/blueprinted Rem700 with custom barrel and black synthetic masturbation stock which suits sub 0.2MOA when a 0.75MOA factory rifle will do everything you need. Besides ... every shot with this bugger is 0.585MOA at 100 yards. :lol:

What amazes me is that every Ruger No1, even a piddling little 223Rem has the potential to be rebuilt as a 577NE. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

6K is a bit to steep for me, its a bloody nice bit of gear still though.
Still keen on a 416T but this thing makes a 416T look like a .223

Im going to be verry keen on seeing a Sambar shot with this farking great mongrel thing.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

ooooooo now your giving me ideas will this work on a bolt action or does it have to be lever if so only another 1000 or so rounds and ill be due for a new barrel hmm wonder what the local coppers will think if i tell them im rebarrelling my 22-250 to something a lil bigger youd be able to hit the ground 10 meters in front off what ever your aiming at and still kill it with all the shrapnel and stones flying all over the show hehe i had a mass orgy over a 416 rigby i got to play with the other day but now youve done it
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

luke,
Single shot only ... no bolt action other than maybe a Heym will take anything this large. But sell your pea-shooter, buy a CZ550 in 416Riby and later on you can get a 585Nyati built for similar money. You should be able to hit 2400fps with 750gr in the Nyati ... if your shoulder's upto it. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

"THUD" thats me hitting reality haha oh well a man can only dream of such cannons for now
Aussie steve
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: ALL of 'em

Post by Aussie steve »

Thomo, mate 6K is cheap for this sort of rifle, mine wasnt quiet that much but I got it cheap as an unfinished project with barrel, dies, reamer, action etc. I looked up the price of dies and they are about $500, and then a file trim die is also needed for about $200. A barrel will probably also go over the $600 mark. And remember that to do a good job there would be at least 4K of gunsmithing needed, and the cost of the action on top of that.

However, when ever a .577 Nitro is pulled from a gun bag it turns heads

Steve
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Donor action $1000 (less whatever you recover for selling bits and pieces off it) barrel blank is $450ish, metalwork is at least $4k-ish ... dies are US$180, then the trim die (use a pipe cutter :lol: ). Done correctly, these projects never lose money. Once Aussie steve oils the stock and gets the ebony tip fitted completing the project ... she'd be a $7k to $8k rifle and near unique in Australia. I reckon Steve's is the first built on a No1 where Century Arms may have done some on Farquarsons in Australia. Alex Beer also has a reamer but has never built anything above 500Nitro. This rifle was so comfortable to shoot I cant see the reason for a 500Nitro. If Steve adds a smaller brother in 375H&H flanged ... the set would definately be unique. :wink:
Cheers...
Con
Aussie steve
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: ALL of 'em

Post by Aussie steve »

lol getting me back now Con, you keep putting the .375 flanged idear into my head! I am thinking though if I can save up some money get the .375 flanged done in a matching pair, maybe have it at 8 lbs or so. I think they'd be a really nice pair. Even have the barrel band and custom sights fitted.

I have looked at ch4d dies, which my .577's are, they are only 180 odd US, simplex were close to $500 AUD. My ch4d trim die was $200 landed though.

Steve
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

its a lovely piece.

What's it for? are you going on a OS safari?

or perhaps , cos you can, just like I can pay for the sort of rifles Con has a laugh about when you too could kill anything in Aus with a factory rifle.

Seems we have a similar affliction but you have a Bigger Case (pun intended) of it :wink:
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

What makes the gunsmithing part ($4k) of the build up so expensive? :oops:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Simpson wrote:What makes the gunsmithing part ($4k) of the build up so expensive? :oops:

yeah delete that before the resident gunsmith reads it!
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Simpson wrote:What makes the gunsmithing part ($4k) of the build up so expensive? :oops:
I think Steve's rifle has 80 hours hands-on work in it. If you consider many charge $60 per hour for 'cheap 'smithing' ... you start to get a feel for the cost. This rifle's barrel was custom profiled to provide a specific balance point, then blued and fitted. The sight bases where (I think) done from scratch as was the barrel band. Action needed to be modified to accept the big case plus a host of other little jobs. I'd personally do it a bit different again ... so your paying the 'smith to build to your taste as well.

Trevort and I could sit and chew shit out of each others rifles and I'd say $6000 for a rabbit rifle ... your mad! He'd say $6000 for an overkill cannon on any Aussie game rifle ... your farkin' mad!! Best thing is we're both right when it comes to custom rifles and we're both pissing off politicians at the same time. :lol:
Cheers...
Con
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

best bit is we can laugh about and agree the disease is exactly the same, we just show our symptons in a different way
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

trevort wrote:its a lovely piece.

What's it for? are you going on a OS safari?

or perhaps , cos you can, just like I can pay for the sort of rifles Con has a laugh about when you too could kill anything in Aus with a factory rifle.

Seems we have a similar affliction but you have a Bigger Case (pun intended) of it :wink:
[sarcasm] That's just silly. Nobody needs that much gun for anything. I am shocked and appaled. [/sarcasm] :lol:

The "because I can" reason is about the best reason ever. Hell, my current project fits into the category of retardedly overboard too.

That is one hell of a nice rifle though. Always liked the old big bore African game type rifles.

For amusement value though, you can't beat the youtube videos of the guys in that booth type thing with the .507 T-Rex. hahah.
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

I love that photo looking down the bore. Those Rugers sure are pretty.
Malcolm