factory 204's

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
aussie
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5mm

factory 204's

Post by aussie »

Hi all, just a silly question regarding the mighty .204r. What's a good out of the box , no need for mods ect .204?
What would be the optimum barrel length and twist rate in a factory rifle ? What dramas to expect. The reason for
asking is can't afford a custom made rifle as of money restraints (wife) :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: factory 204's

Post by trevort »

they are all 1 in 12. 26 inch barrell allows you to get the full velocity.

I had a ruger VT. I caught the custom bug because it was so accurate. No Mods, good trigger and free floated out of the box

The T3 gets lots of praise, dont know barrel length tho.

CZ 527 Varmint is worth looking at

Rem VSSF (great basis to customise from later!)

Savage varmint rifles have the 26 inch barrel and accutrigger

Lots of choices
killbz

Post by killbz »

Im planning on getting a Tikka T3 Varmint in .204 later on. they have a 1:12 twist, a 23 3/4" barrel and a magzine cap of 6 rnds. and weighs 3.6kgs i think.

killbz
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

I rate my CZ527 in 204 ruger :D
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Straight out of the box you would probably say tikka and even savage would get the nod.

Something a bit different a ruger vt perhaps if you like laminate timber look and a cz for a few more $

Rem would have to be the go if you plan on making some mods down the track.

Also dont disregard a cooper or a kimber if your looking at something that will last and shoot very well out of the box for a few more clams!

Just my 2c
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

I got my Remington VSSF II replaced recently as I was unlucky to get a bad one, but the replacement was super accurate from the box on run in and is now consistantly shooting .3 - .4 in load development. I expect this to get even tighter as the first day was blowing pretty hard.
killbz

Post by killbz »

MickGibbo wrote:I got my Remington VSSF II replaced recently as I was unlucky to get a bad one, but the replacement was super accurate from the box on run in and is now consistantly shooting .3 - .4 in load development. I expect this to get even tighter as the first day was blowing pretty hard.
Hey mickgibbo what are the chances of getting a "bad one" as i was originally planning on getting that same model and caliber?, but after reading many reports of failing quality control at the big green, i decided to steer away from it and not risk it. It is aways my bad luck to get the one bad thing in hundreds.

killbz
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

To be honest I would say you would be very unlucky as every other one I have seen is an absolute Tack driver, and the service from them was exceptional in returning the faulty rifle.

I would be very suprised if you had a problem.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Hey mcgibbo just reading your list of rifles, seen as you have quite the flash .204 does the 222 or 22-250 see the light of day???
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

Yeah they will get plenty of work still, the .222 is the knock about (very accurate) roo rifle, spotlight gun and loaner as I got it for free and I just look at it as a barrel saver. The 22.250 is also extremely accurate but will mainly be used on goats now (saving the 270WSM for deer and bigger) and for foxes and rabbits when I will have to do allot of walking etc.

The .204 I bought as a long range and splat rifle, the 22.250 could have done this but I wanted a varmint set up with a better set up rifle and something I can view the hit on. I plan on using the .204 for foxes mainly as they are my second favourite game to hunt and love whistleing. Also want to do some long range bunny work with it. Im doing some more range work with it tomorrow to finalise a load and it gets field tested out Taralga way next weekend.

2 Things I want to add to my collection down the track is an older not so pretty shotgun for the field and a 300WSM Winchester Etreme Weather when they come out for those massive hunts in the hills or 20km walks.
Rainbow Jeremy

Post by Rainbow Jeremy »

Tikka T3 varmint would probably give you the least problems but you need a 26" barrel to do the 204 justice IMO
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Never noticed that 50 FPS made much difference myself .
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

bushchook wrote:Never noticed that 50 FPS made much difference myself .
No varmin i have shot has noticed either. FPS don't matter if your rifle isnt accurate, Tikka's SHOOT of that there is no doubt.
Drew Jaeger
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by Drew Jaeger »

MickGibbo wrote:To be honest ....... every other one I have seen is an absolute Tack driver,......
That would be my VSSF II in 204! Tack driver, shoots 0.25" 5-shot groups and is a dream to shoot.
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

We can add 2 more to that list now Drew, met 2 blokes shooting them at the range recently and they both were getting tight groups as well.