Martini Cadet Project

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Jethro
.17 HMR

Martini Cadet Project

Post by Jethro »

As discussed in the 7mm-08 thread, I have a BSA martini cadet action that needs a new barrel or maybe two.
I would like to use this rifle in fairly standard trim with open sights, (perhaps tang rear site) for martini comp at my local ssaa range.
I would also like a light varminter outfit built around a 20cal chambering of some sort. behaps 20-218bee imp that Shane has suggested.
This will probably be a 2 stage or more project as funds are limited (Even more so after the vet bill for our dopey dog who poped the ligaments in his knee today)
Lowndsie I like the look of your Martini 218. How does it shoot?
Does anyone have Martini's chambered in none standard (non 310 ) calibres.
I have also heard that Sprinter Arms can bore and re rifle a worn out barrel to a larger calibre. has anyone had this done? How successful is it.
Cheers Jethro. :wink:
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

"Jethro,
A switch barrel martini is no problem. I can set up a barrel with quick release scope mounts on it and its own sporter style forend which can be easily taken off and replaced with an original style 310 barrel and forend.

As for calibre how about a 20/218 improved?, i can cut that no problems.
cheers,
Shane"
Hello, I thought I would ask this over here. How much would this cost ,roughly? You can pm me if you do not want to say here.
Thanks,
Peter
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Jethro, Mate the 218Bee shoots great. I only use the one load these days with the 40gr Vmax. It'll put shots into less than an inch no worries, which is great if you keep in mind how old the barrel is. I'll probably get it converted to 17Bee Improved once my 7-08 project has been completed.
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Pete152,
To fit a 20/218 imp barrel to a martini round figures $900 inc.

This is for a stainless aussie .20 cal barrel fitted to the martini with forend bedded, new pins through the breach block and lever and a weaver one piece base fitted to the barrel.
Cost would be higher for a match grade barrel and things like a rear cleaning hole and thumb screw for dissassembly, trigger job etc.

This is a lot of money on a martini but it depends on how much you like them as a rifle. They come up well.
cheers,
Shane
pete152
.22 WMR

Post by pete152 »

Thanks for the info, Shane. Looks like I will have to start saving hard!
Cheers,
Peter
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

You're right Shane $900 is a lot of coin to spend on an action that can be bought for $130 to $150.
Guess I'll have to modify the wish list a bit. :cry: The idea of stainless on blue doesnt really appeal to me that much.
Perhaps I will keep an ear out for a disgarded 204 barrel in the future.
In the mean time I will revisit the 310/32-20 chambered barrel I have and try and make a few cases of the correct length to try after slugging the barrel to get the correct size projectile for it.
Will a 357 maximum case feed in the BSA ramp?:? and can you get 357 cal octagonal barrels? :idea:
Cheers Jethro.
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Yes the only way to reduce the cost is to use a good second hand barrel. GOOD second hand barrels can be hard to find.

Or go to straight 218 bee or 218 ackley bee as the barrels are back into standard .22 cal blue which will reduce the cost by about $200. Good second hand .22 cal barrels are a little easier fo find which will reduce this further.

The 357 maximum will be border line to load and eject without trouble on the BSA martini action. It should be right but may be a little long. The 357 mag is a better option.

Yes i can make an octagonal barrel, it adds about $200 to the standard barrel fit up price.
cheers,
Shane
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

G,day Shane
I had a bit of a hunt around on the NET for preformed octagonal .357 tubes but they are pretty scarce and exxy so I guess I will have to go with a standard 223/224 cal chambering. A while back I bought a secondhand 22 barrel that has already been threaded for a martini action and had the extractor slots cut. I thought it may have been chambered for 218bee but a loaded round wouldn't chamber so I made a wax cast of the chamber. It looks like either some one either stuffed up a rechambering job or it has been made as part of a fireforming step to another widcat. It has what looks like a double shoulder set into the chamber. It is close to 218bee but not quite. It may clean up with a chamber reamer. The rifling looks ok to me but the outside of the barrel has some scores and a rough looking flat for the forend attaching lug in it from the last bloke's efforts. :cry:
I will check with Sprinter arms re the cost of a rebore on the 310 tube if they do such a thing, and make a decision to go 357mag or 218bee and stop bothering you with this. Thankyou for your patience and input. Will let you know which way I decide to jump. :roll:
cheers Jethro.
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

Have you given any thought to the 308/357 talked about in the G&G last year. Can't remember the issue, but worked a treat on goats, apparently pushing 100 - 120 gn projies at about 1900fps.
Gotta have fun with that.
Jethro
.17 HMR

Post by Jethro »

After giving all the barrels I have for it a careful inspection on the weekend and dismantling the action and finding a broken firing pin spring. :cry: I think I will have it bored and rifled for 357mag and use it for a plinker with the standard sights. If I stay with a standard cal I can reload for it in bulk and just feed em through. Will save my pennies to spend on an action that is strong enough to handle something like a 20 Vartarg and have a good barrel fitted. As Shane has explained you have to spend a fair bit to make a worthwhile varmint gun out of this action. scope mounts and forend bedding could be a bit of a drama too. :?
I havent seen the article on the 30/357 sounds interesting though. :!:
Cheers Jethro.