Which 22lr??

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

You can spend lots of money on an Anny if you want but unless your target shooting its a big waste of money IMO. If my CZ 452 american can shoot half inch groups at 50m its all you need for hunting anymore accuracy then that and its just academic with hunting!
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Couldnt agree more, mate of mine just got a new one and any bunnie between 20 and 75 mts gets one in the head, even with a cheapie scope!
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

Agree with the comments about both the annie and CZ's

I alos have the feeling that CZ's seem to be less ammuntion fussy than some other rifles (my sako for instance). A particular advantage for a field rifle
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

kjd,
You can spend lots of money on an Anny if you want but unless your target shooting its a big waste of money IMO. If my CZ 452 american can shoot half inch groups at 50m its all you need for hunting anymore accuracy then that and its just academic with hunting!
Yes agree with you here, I have shot more game with a Brno mod 2 than any other rifle, but at the range the Anschutz is the bees knees....

Heres 1 in the foreground with a Weaver T36 scope...and shoots...yes sir

but for the paddock the CZ will do the job.

cheers
Risno
siacci

Post by siacci »

I have a Sako P94S. I have shot hundreds of rabbits and a few foxes with it. I would not trade it for anything. We lost it( and me) off the back of the ute once. Snapped the stock in 2 and smashed the scope. We ended up gluing the stock back togetherand a new scope of course. The thing shoots as good as ever.

I dont know if you can still buy this gun but it is a great 22. The rifle cost me $980 2 years ago. Worth every cent...

Dave
Detritus
.22 WMR

CZ 453

Post by Detritus »

I just put a deposit down on a CZ 453 Varmint,,, Everyone has made pretty sound statements on all accounts! :D I'd have an "Anni" in a heart beat but commiting to the CZ almost gave my bank account a heart attack as it is... One thing that has been playing on my mind tho is the rifle i went for had a fair amount of fore end flex i thought,,, wish they had another on in store to compare it to. Apparently its a relatively common thing im told :shock:
dodgyone

22lr

Post by dodgyone »

I've got a mint condition Anschutz 1415/16 I've been thinking about selling if there is some interest.
ojr

Post by ojr »

I'm possibly a bit late for this post but, have a 452 American .22.
It will shoot rings around any other I have owned, it also has a great walnut stock.
If it is of any use my bro-in-law has one in 17HMR, just the standard barrel, that rifle is amazingly accurate and has taken rabbits out to 215yrds.
vicfox
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 17 HMR

Post by vicfox »

My thoughts from a pot shooters point of view is that the difference between these quality rifles doesn't sound like much, which makes me think that the concern should be more about ammo rather than the rifle .
My CZ is very , very good, far more acurate than my old ruger 10/22 although the action isn't as pristine as the Krico I had. Im currently using Remington subsonic ammo aNd find them very good even at longer ranges.
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

I was down at Para range today, and the guy from the SSAA mag was testing a new Weatherby rimfire. It's made by Anschutz and looks a lot like a 64. It shot really well and was punching in groups around three quarter inch at 50 yards with all sorts of ammo. No idea on cost. The trigger was of the match variety and very nice. Nice stock and looked good. I want one!
Detritus
.22 WMR

New Weatherby/Anschutz.

Post by Detritus »

This is the one you saw..........................? Image

Nice lookin' little sucker... :wink:
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Good choice Detritus, I have one the same in .17HMR but mine is the older 452 without the set trigger (that makes a hell of a difference) they wern't avaliable then.
Dont worry about the fore end flex, mine was the same, so I just sanded out the barrell channel and resealed the wood and the flix carnt reach the stock anymore. It shoots fantastic and has a cheap Nikko Platinum 4-16x44 on it .
I hope you enjoy it, you carn't go wrong. :wink:
7mmmag

Post by 7mmmag »

Anschutz or CZ would be my choice for a great 22lr. I had an Anschutz 22 hornet and it was one of the most accurate rifles i have owned. It shot under .5 moa groups at 100 metres. I have only heard and read good reports on Anschutz rifles (Both rimfire and centre fire)
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I have just purchased a Anschutz 1710D HB in 22lr. Shane is putting it into a benchrest stock at the moment. I have not shot the rifle yet, but if the test target that came with the rifle is any indication, well, its accurate!

Will give an update when it is complete! They are a very smooth rimfire action!

Cheers
AI
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Two in my gunsafe, one is a very much shortened old Sportco Clubman that I haven't had long; witha cheap jap scope will do 5 into .6 at 50;remarkable old things, these. Was a $50 job from my local 'smith. There is a near pristine one going for $295 in Halls' Firearms in Townsville... only a single shot, but that's all you need....
The second is a very much modified Sako M78 (precursor to the new 94) which hasn't been shot seriously for years; best group is 10 into sub .380", (including the called flyer) at 50 meters. If you can find one of these go for it!